My PSA is 8,6 what should I do?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been diagnosed before by my urologist about my prostate problem. I have had PSA over 11 in the beginning and later it went down to 9 successively to 7,6 in 2017 and now it has gone up to 8,6. What shall I do? Does this mean I have prostate cancer?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Quite simply, it does not mean you have Prostate Cancer. The trend is not suggestive at all - although the figures are a little high. Your readings are consistent with what you call a 'prostate problem'. I assume you have had a DRE, what were the findings? If you are concerned then I would suggest an MRI. Please give your age also. 

All the best

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and advice. I am 60 yrs of age. I have no other symptoms except the high PSA count.
    • Posted

Also, can you please explain what is DRI so that I can talk to my urologist next time I meet him
    • Posted

Put simply, it's the finger-up-the-bum test. The doctor can feel the prostate through the colon wall and can tell whether the prostate feels normal or 'nobbly'. A simple test which should be done prior to any biopsy.

?Good luck 

• Posted

Thanks once again, yes as far as I remember he had done a DRE test when I met him first and later a biopsy too. Biopsy test showed a very small cancer cell in the prostate gland, the size of it was 0,7 mm in one of the chambers of the prostate. I am extremely sorry for having a mimimum knowledge about the prostate gland and its tests, so please forgive me. Later he did a second biopsy, and that biopsy showed no sign of cancer and at the same time my PSA count had reduced to 9. I am continuing with the check ups twice every year since 2010. 
  • Posted

I'm guessing that you originally had a routine Prostate Specific Antigen test? If it wasn't 'routine', presumably you had some symptoms? If so what were they? (ie why do you have a urologist?)

I started out with a 'well man' examination which was good at diagnosing a number of problems that later required treatment (gout, hypertension, and prostate problems).

The one thing I don't have treatment for is the Prostate Cancer that was diagnosed a few years ago.

What I want to say is that the understandable scare about PSA scores is that, even if it is cancer that causes the raised figures, the scare is often a waste of energy. If the scores are monitored regularly and necessary tests done, cancer of the prostate often is not life-threatening and I'm one example of that (so far). I'm now 67 and it is the other prostate issues (urine retention mainly) that is adversely affecting my daily life much more than the cancer. My PSA has reduced from around 8 to 6 recently. My urologist and I are pleased with this score. It once went up to 12. My main message: Don't Panic!

• Posted

Thanks a lot. Your reply means a lot to me right now. I appreciate your advice.
    • Posted

Hi Pepasan

?My husband currently has fluctuating PSA, last one 11, others were previously up and down between this range of 8 to 11 up and down.  He is having 6 monthly PSA testing now.  He has declined a biopsy currently as his MRI is clear and rectal ultrasound shows enlarged prostate, following a rectal biopsy a month later he had an emergency appendectomy as his appendix became gangrenous, unsure if this was a co-incidence or whether an infection was introduced into his bowel.

Is there anything that you found can decrease your PSA level or increase it?  He's 61.

Many thanks for any advice.

?Anne.

• Posted

Some medications can reduce the size of the prostate, but otherwise, I don't think we can do anything ourselves through diet or supplements. I don't see how your husband's biopsy would cause his appendix problem - they are relatively distant from each other within the body. Just because one event follows the other in time, doesn't mean the ifrst event caused the second one.

I have had two problem-free trans-rectal biopsies. If advised, I'd have another one.

By the way, this is trideep81779's thread, so really you should, I think, have started a separate new posting.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I just wondered if there was anything that you were doing in particular that had reduced your PSA as you said it was previously 12 and now is 6  so thought you might be doing something that caused the lower result.  Hope it continues downward.

​All best wishes.  Anne.

• Posted

These fluctuations have various explanations. Apparently the raised score was a one-off. I'd forgotten about the blood test and had had an orgasm the night before!

• Posted

What did your Urologist tell you? Did he say or give you any direction at all?  My urologist told me when my PSA was high, I was very concerned also. He informed me the only way I can find out if If I have prostate cancer is get a biopsy. My advice, consult with your Doctor, no none in this forum can tell you if you have PCa. by your PSA readings.

G' Luck, hope the readings are just benign, but to find out consult with your Urologist.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I have booked a meeting with my urologist and I am going to discuss about the matter thoroughly. Thanks once again
  • Posted

Hello,

I would consider having a biopsy, early detection is key.  In the meanwhile I'd cut back on eating a lot of meats, especially red meat, fried, and BBQ'D meats. Try eating a lot more things like carrots, beets, cale, etc

Best of luck to you

• Posted

Thanks a lot. I eat lot of vegetables daily and fruits of different kinds. But as you said I may reduce the meat eating. Thanks once again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.