My Sertraline Story - 39yo male from Manchester UK

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello and welcome here!

I had a nervous breakdown, part of that severe anxiety and I was prescribed Escitalopram ( Lexapro ), I spent 9 absolute horrendous week on it until it turned out it didn't help and then my doc switched me onto Sertraline ( Zoloft ). Had a week on 25 mg and 8 days on 50 mg I am soooooo so sick and depressed. I did not have depression before so it scares me, hope it is a side effect like nausea and will go away.

After 9 weeks hell on the previous med and 2 other weeks on Sertralin, 11 weeks alltogether I just feel it is too much. I am suffering so much, I am still in doubt, feel so sick, cloudy head, dizzy, very weak, can't do anything other than laying in the bed, If I am not in bed I feel even worse. I am loosing hope, patience, strength, very close to give up. Seeking a little hope, just would like to know if

Anyone was in similar situation and got better with time please let me know,

Anyone switched from Escitalopram to Sertraline with success,

If anyone knows what are the early signs the medication will work or anything what could be encouraging in this situation please share with me!!

Thanks very much indeed!

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i switched from paxil to zoloft. It gets worse before it gets better. Not everyday is going to be great but it gets better with time. Just have some patience. You feel like you are never going to get better but you will. Drink lots of water!! Especially when you feel anxious. Maybe try CBD oil or drink some peppermint tea. It really does help. Anxiety does not go away you have to learn to cope with it. I felt dizzy, cried all the time, never wanted to work or go out, but it gets better have some faith.

• Posted

Hello Madison,

Thank you for your reply.

Is zoloft much better for you? How long did it take until you got better?

I have been learning to live from one minute to the other, trying not to thing about the long painful way which is in front of me. As many times I think on that how much time I need to get better I crash. I drink 2-2,5 L lemon balm tee every day, I feel it helps a bit, and I will try peppermint as well, thank you for your suggestion!

How are you feeling now?

Thank you

Kind Regards,

B.

• Posted

It took me about a month to feel like myself again. They just took me off of it Friday because it makes me exhausted and cant up the dose because it makes me too sleepy. But, my experience was similar just trust the process.

• Posted

i felt a bit brighter today but i am petrified it wont work which i think it will. i am day 14 tomorrow and a little brighter i take it for GAD as citilapram stopped working. i am on 50mg but need to go up to 100 but goimg to let this settle first i feel very low and experiencing anxiety never felt bwfore but i was told that i an withdrawing and starting up so worsw

• Posted

What dose are you on? How long have you been taking it?

I think it is very important to tell that to your doc how you feel! Did you?

Hang in there it will be better!!

• Posted

Hello! Hope you are better today! What did the doc say please?

Thank you

Kind Regards,

B.

• Posted

he said i will get better which is enough for me at the monent x how are you ?

• Posted

I am 3 weeks in @50mg and I feel soooo depressed. I woke up and I didn't want to get out of bed, hate myself hate my life, everything is bad and I feel no hope at all. I am in a very dark place now 😦 Also feel sick and dizzy, It is just too much suffering. Can it be this bad before it gets better? Is it 'normal'?

• Posted

i an going theough the same thing

• Posted

Hi Deblou!

How is it going? How long have you been in? What mg are you on? What day are you on? What do you feel?

I can't get out of bed. Normally I enjoy being in nature, spending time with friends, driving my car etc but now the only thing I can do is laying in bed. I feel so sick, cloudy head, fatigue, and depression. Sometimes my chest, arms face are burning. I also have horrible thoughts, I never will be better, I am totally useless etc. This is 9th day on 50mg for me.

Hope you feel better soon!

Thank you

B.

• Posted

Hello Deblou!

Are you feeling any better please? How are you?

Thank you

Kind Regards,

B

• Posted

hey the depession has lifted and i am gettinh out but still very anxious you?

• Posted

I am anxious as well but more concerned about depression, feel so low, everything crap, I am worthless, zero motivation, no joy in anything, cant handle it 😦 Are you somewhere near week 8-9?

• Posted

Sorry to but in,Are you still feeling crap my anxiety has come down a little i think anyway,Now im just really depressed no enjoyment in anything just going through the motions eat because i have to go out because i have to im on a training course for a new job at the moment i cant take anything in my brain just not interested. my ex whom im supposed to spend christmas with her and my daughter says im going to ruin christmas which is probably true.Know how i want to feel like i was even 50% would do for now just feel nothing no motivation for life but i want to live life its crazy.Could feel flashes last week of a strange fuzzy feeling like it was working in a good way but not now.Sorry for the negative post think i need to increase.Think its helped anxiety to a degree but now im depressed as anything cant win how r u getting on with it im on week 9 50mg.

• Posted

Lee i had some longer periods of no anxiety week 9. its up and down for a while

• Posted

Hi Lee!

Its really not nice from your ex saying you are going to ruin Xmas! I think she must be a very selfish person. We are seriously ill and it is not our choice and we obviously can not decide when we will be better and when we feel crap etc. Thats ok she is your ex and doesnt want to support you but in my opinion as a normal intelligent human person she should be much more understanding and tolerant. You do your best, you go to your training, go to gym whatever I wouldnt be able in this condition, you do as much as you can, nothing more is expectable! I am sorry it puts extra pressure on you in these hard time and hope you will be feeling much better very soon! How are you feeling today mate?

Kind Regards,

B

• Posted

Hello hope your feeling a little better,im on week 9 now still anxious but nowhere near as bad but said that before and felt bad again so sm thankful of the better days im having.No enjoyment in anything tho at the moment never really been depressed until this it was more anxiety.Iam having better days than i was not going to jinx myself.Just keep going mate take each day as it comes it will get better takes some people longer than others best of luck keep me posted.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.