My Sertraline Story - 39yo male from Manchester UK

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello and welcome here!

I had a nervous breakdown, part of that severe anxiety and I was prescribed Escitalopram ( Lexapro ), I spent 9 absolute horrendous week on it until it turned out it didn't help and then my doc switched me onto Sertraline ( Zoloft ). Had a week on 25 mg and 8 days on 50 mg I am soooooo so sick and depressed. I did not have depression before so it scares me, hope it is a side effect like nausea and will go away.

After 9 weeks hell on the previous med and 2 other weeks on Sertralin, 11 weeks alltogether I just feel it is too much. I am suffering so much, I am still in doubt, feel so sick, cloudy head, dizzy, very weak, can't do anything other than laying in the bed, If I am not in bed I feel even worse. I am loosing hope, patience, strength, very close to give up. Seeking a little hope, just would like to know if

Anyone was in similar situation and got better with time please let me know,

Anyone switched from Escitalopram to Sertraline with success,

If anyone knows what are the early signs the medication will work or anything what could be encouraging in this situation please share with me!!

Thanks very much indeed!

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a breakdown last April, stilling trying to get well, tryed prozac, Escitalopram, mitazapine, now trying cbdoil, Still struggerling to get out of bed, but I do, living with internal treamberling all the time, was going g to ask to try low dose of sertaline, as son is trying it, but he has to work and finding the tirdness terrible, I hope it starts to kick in soon, as side effects from lots of Antidepressants are hard to deal with, please keep in touch , from Sue age 59

• Posted

Hello Sue,

Thank you for your reply. I can imagine what are you going through, that's a really long time and far too much suffering. I won't be able to try any other antidepressant, it is just too much, I feel that I am not capable to go through on a cross tapering process again or anything like that.

How far did you get I mean are you much better then you were in April? Which Antidepressant was the best for you?

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

B.

• Posted

HI I HAVE BEEN ON SERTRALINE FOR COMING UP TO 6 WEEKS ALLTOGETHER ALONG WITH 15MG OF MIRTAZAPINE AT NIGHT.FIRST 3 WEEKS WERE HORRENDOUS ANXIETY THROUGH ROOF Nausea vomiting dry retching zero appetite could not eat for almost 2 WEEKS after 3 Weeks these started to subside not completely but much less intense and i think eases a little each day.NOT FELT ANY BENEFIT YET BUT DOCTOR SAYS TO CARRY ON UNTIL 8 WEEKS SO HOPING IT STARTS WORKING SOON HOPEFULLY.ONCE YOU GET OVER FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS YOU SHOULD SETTLE DOWN.ITS RUBBISH IT IS IM A MAN OF 40 ALSO FROM MANCHESTER USUALLY 18 STONE OF MUSCLE BUT THIS ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION HAS BROUGHT ME TO MY KNEES BUT DONT GIVE UP.

• Posted

Hello Lee!

Thank you for your reply pal, and sorry you are having a hard time too 😦

Could you work through the first couple of weeks or you stayed at home like me?

Where about are you time wise? 4-5 weeks?

Thank you

Kind Regards,

B.

• Posted

Yep basically stayed in bed when i could COULDNT FACE ANYONE.IM NOT WORKING AT MOMENT LUCKILY(NO WAY I COULD FUNCTION GOT TO GO BACK TO WORK SOON THO.never felt anything like it keep going when it starts to subside you will know and you wont be miraculously cured but its like relief then it will get a bit easier day by day.Hang on for another couple of weeks no matter what mate i felt there was no way out of it and wanted to give up but ive got 2 amazing children to be there for no matter what.Still feel like s**t but went back to gym twice this wk.Take a walk even if u can.IM HAVING CBT ALSO HOPING THAT WILL HELP.I WISH U LUCK ITS HORRIBLE WHEN YOUR THIS WAY NO ONE U UNDERSTANDS IT UNLESS U SUFFER FROM IT.like i said dont give up it will get easier thats the truth good luck mate.

• Posted

Lee! Thanks very much indeed!! I need it!! You give me hope! It is way too hard 😦 I dont't have children but I have an amazing wife who I am fighting for. Otherwise I would have given up already.

• Posted

LOST MY WIFE BECAUSE OF IT ALREADY BUT GOT TO CARRY ON GOOD LUCK

• Posted

No way!!! What sort of person is that who can leave her husband in a situation like this?! I am really sorry to hear that man and don't really know what to say. I am shocked. Only thing I can say never forget the fact this situation is temporary, we will make our way to get through on it and one point later on we will feel good again. Never loose hope please!! That's what I am trying to do.. I Know how hard is, lets hope the best man!!

Kind Regards,

B

• Posted

Hello Lee!

How are you feeling now? Are you much better?

Thanks,

B.

• Posted

Hi, I took Sertraline for 2 weeks, I could not handle the side effects, so I stopped. But, it might work for you. I have been taking Duloxetine (Cymbalta) for almost 7 months, and just feel better 80%.

I have very severe anxiety disorders. Like you, I was very tired, weak, headaches,..., in my bed all day. I thought my world is over.My life was in the dark.

You might not like my treatment, but I just want to share. Along with Duloxetine, I have taken Alprazolam (Xanax) at lowest dose, 3 time per day, as needed. I told my doctor that I need it everyday, and he said it is ok for me to take.

Because of anxiety, I could not sleep, and then my anxiety got worse, more tired. So, my doctor gave me Ambien 5 mg.

My vitamin is low, so I take vitamin D 5,000 IU.

The Alprazolam and Ambien help me to be able to go to work every day. I know it is addicted drug, but I trust my doctor. He said I should stop the Aprazolam when I feel good.

I hope you will feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.