my son using drugs

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have a senior in high school. He is a great kid, 3.1 gpa, and starting quarterback. He is a popular kid. He expressed that he is having issues being around alot of people. He hates when the teacher calls him in class. He says he is so tired and exhausted from football but he cant turn his mind off to go to sleep so he has began using something to help with sleep. Not a good thing he is using. I was wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this. I dont see how he fears all this stuff and he is so popular. Also do you think he may need counseling? I just dont know what and where to start with fixing this. Any ideas?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes this is common. Sadly.

your son really needs your support and love. This is not in his control.it is scary for him.  It is a anxiety disorder. But can become manageable and he can have his life back. It tends to run in families too. 

Bring him to the gp and discuss all this and get him a therapist. They can teach him self calming tools and skills. And he can talk thru what he has already been dealing with on his own. 

He needs your support very badly.

• Posted

It will be better then any gift you ever give him. He will get back himself. Thats everything.
  • Posted

Just because someone looks like they have it all together doesn't mean that's how they feel. I would just take him aside and ask if he feels depressed or has any insecurities. Sometimes when you are doing well there is a lot of pressure to maintain that same success and expections of doing even better can come from himself or family and friends. Some of the most successful people in the world have insecurities and fear. Maybe if you reaasure him that he doesn't have to be perfect and that it's ok to have fears and anxieties. It might be a good idea for him to discuss his sleeping issues with his doctor so that he gets a safe sleeping aid. He could try to find a way to wind down before bedtime. Maybe he could share his concerns about being called on with his teachers, if he feels comfortable doing that. Good luck.

• Posted

get him to a doctor asap, honey.

This has to be dealt with quickly before he gets addicted - what is he taking, by he way?

Yes, i do think he needs counselling.

love Tess xxx

• Posted

Herbs...i know some may not think this is too bad but he has full scholarships to three schools. They random drug test. Im just worried that if he cant do this then whats going to come next.
    • Posted

Marijuana is definetely the lesser of evils that he could have chose from. But you're right about the drug tests for sure; it entirely depends on how much he smokes. I'm a chronic user myself, so a urine test could get me for up to 67 days after my last use (last urine test I did didn't even pick up my THC levels, insanity), but if he's occassional or a regular the max is 10 days. He will be okay.

• Posted

Hi, What is the drug he is taking? If he is addicted already it may be difficult to get him to stop. But, if he was only taking the pills to sleep, then you may be able to replace those with a safe presciption sleep aid from his doctor. Idealy, it would be good to fix his sleeping problem, and whatever else is going on, now before he goes to University. I think convincing him to see his GP and a therpapist is your best option now. Is he going to Uni on a football Scholarship? He may feel pressure to play well and that is hard when you have anxieties and are not sleeping well. The number one thing, in my opinion, is to deal with his health issues. Is he talking to you? Is he open to talking to someone else? Sorry for the long message, but I have had anxiety all of my life and I hate to see how it affects young people. If I had the help I needed when I was young. I would be better off now, I'm sure.

• Posted

He smokes to numb his aches and pains and get rest. Yes he is on a football scholarship. All he says to me is he good. He is so quiet about feelings and things. Im just scared that without him being able to smoke he may turn to other things. We have family traits that i fear he will take on.
    • Posted

So he using marijuana. Ok, that is very common but not a good habit for a young person to develop for sure. I understand your concern about him maybe trying other things. I also understand that teens can be very secretive and private about their feelings. If you just sit and talk to him and make it a casual conversation, telling him that you are aware of some of what is happening with him, and that you are here for him if he needs anything. I have learned that teens don't like to talk to parents about feelings, sometimes they have a fear of being judged or treated like a child. So by telling him you are aware of what might be happening, at least some of it, lets him know that you know...and that you care, and are there if he needs you. You can't force him to stop because that would only push him towards it, especially if he feels that it is helping him cope. I still think you should see your doctor and get some advice from him/her. You can also call a social service agency in your area that deals with kids at risk and they can try to guide you in what to say to him. Good luck, he seems like a good kid. 

• Posted

It's hard isn't it cos when a teacher does this it's down to the teacher who he she picks in class and it's up to the teacher.

What is it that causes the anxiety. Is it that he might look foolish if he gets an answer wrong. It's OK to get it wrong but don't get hung up on it. The reality is we all get it wrong but accept it, love it, use it.

Phil

• Posted

I think that you can ask your son if he wants you to speak to the teacher, he will probably say "no way" for fear of being ashamed and embarrassed. However, you could speak to the teacher on your own and just say that your son is having some anxieties at the moment, and it would help him if you did not call on him for a while becuase it is causing him a lot of distress. Or, you could try to convince your son that who cares if you don't get it right. If you get it wrong, and people laugh, just go along with them as if it doesn't bother him. It's a hard situation because teenagers although seeming tough, are fragile in a way. Teens like to handle things their own way which is not always the best way. I just hope you can convince him to see someone to get these feelings out because if he's not talking about them, he is keeping them bottled up and it will cause more problems later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.