My story... any advice would be appreciated!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone I’m new to the group and have a few questions but wanna tell me story first so it will be kind of a long first post. It all started two weeks ago. I’m a full time nursing student and a full time ER nurse. I was diagnosed with mono in January and was told to take it easy and not stress and drink plenty of water.... well with my profession and school those things were impossible. So Thursday about two weeks ago I took some zzzquil to go to sleep because I had been kind of congested and wanted to get a full nights rest. I drifted asleep and woke up to a pure state of panic I couldn’t breath I thought I was about to pass out and I just all around knew something was wrong. After trying to calm myself I ended up going to the ER and my Heart rate was in the 160s the gave me fluids and some potassium because mine was a little low and sent me home. As soon as I started walking to my car I felt it kick back up but I was able to control it till I got home. I pretty much kept it under control over the next few days although falling asleep was the worst every time I would fall asleep I would wake up to a racing heart rate. Fast forward to Sunday I had another bad attack while just sitting on the couch and ended up in the minor care. The doctor there diagnosed me with possible svt and sent me to a cardiologist. I went to clinical Monday and had another attack and my teacher walked me to the ER and checked me in. Every trip to the ER it was the same thing all labs were normal ekg showed tachycardia but no arrhythmias slightly elevated white blood cell count and at this point my potassium was fine again. So I was sent home again. Tuesday I went to a cardiologist and he did and echo, thyroid, sediment, and a 48 hour monitor all which came back normal. I ended up back in the ER Wednesday night and the ekg showed svt they put the pads on me and were about to give me medication to help cardiovert me but the Doctor said it wasn’t true svt and they gave me cardizem instead and slowed it down. The doctor tried to admit me but my cardiologist who I had meet once for all of ten minutes told him to send me home on 12.5 metoprolol twice daily. I tried that and it dropped my blood pressure (which already runs low normally) and made me into a zombie. The next day I went back to the hospital because I had another flare up and tried to take my anxiety medicine which seemed to make it worse. The ER doctor ended up getting me admitted and they ran a bunch of test over a four day span. Adrenal function, A1C, CBC,CMP, cardiac enzymes, they did a cat scan of my chest with contrast to rule out clots... everything came back normal. Basically almost everything. They cardiologist came in and changed me to 10mg of propanolol which thankfully I’m a nurse and I know how my body works so I started out with only half of that which bottomed my pressure out so I ended up stopping that. So after four days they discharged me with no answers. I am feeling ALOT better now and no bad flair ups since I was discharged, however my heart rate does go up when I get up and walk around. It doesn’t stop me from moving I just know I have to change positions slower. I am slowly starting to feel better my main issue now is my swollen lymph nodes!! ive also lost 20 pounds in about 8 weeks going from 132 to 112. I wanted to get everyone’s input on this and see what y’all thought. Thank you for taking the time to read this and please feel free to ask me anything you think of.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Alexa,

Thanks for sharing your story and so sorry to hear you've been going through such a terrible time lately, it sounds really frightening and I do hope very much that things can remain much more stable now and you can feel stronger over the coming period.

Any issues to do with the heart must be frightening for sure, and you for sure have done the right thing getting those tests and I do hope that it can put your mind at rest that those have come back clear. I certainly hope that the racing heart can settle down.

I'm certainly no expert but mono is such a horrible and debilitating virus that certainly could be playing a role in all this. I know from having went through a tough time with mono just how wide ranging and horrible the symptoms can be, and most definitely the swollen lymph nodes is classic mono. I just want to reassure you that it can be very normal to take a number of months to recover from mono and not to panic because you will get over it and back to normal again. It's such an awful thing to go through and it really affected me mentally as well as physically, I know it was only thanks to God that I was able to recover and get through that time, He had mercy on me and hang in there Alexa because you will get better from mono and back to good health I truly believe that - God is good and is the great healer.

I know for sure weight loss can be something that can happen during mono too, definitely something worth keeping an eye on and monitoring, and of course checking in with the doctor if it is something that is continual and not settling down or stabilising. In most cases people's weight returns to a healthy and normal level as they start to recover, so definitely hoping that things can settle for you with this Alexa, thinking about you.

Taking vitamins and herbs helped me a lot during recovery from mono, including a good strong multi-vitamin per day (I take Immunace Extra which is on sale here in the UK), a B complex vitamin per day (great for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinacea and oregano. Of course I'm no expert in herbs / vitamins and it's always wise to check in with doctor / herbalist, and to check for any interactions with other conditions / medication before starting to take any supplements, especially when have had these issues with heart lately.

Hoping you feel much better soon Alexa, thinking about you and believing that recovery, good health and much better times are ahead for you, thanks to God - hang in there and message any time. It's a really good and supportive forum here so definitely worth checking in on as there's lots of kind and helpful people who know just what it's like to go through mono and have some great advice, tips and words of encouragement for those going through it.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.