My Tecnis Problem

Posted , 8 users are following.

i am stuck with Symfony as it has been 4.5 years since surgery. the positive dysphotopsia is best as described by another poster in another thread on this forum. still another member has the same problem with Tecnis monofocal so it is not ring related and the ring related phenomena are not as bothersome. this also is specific to those with large pupils. size of tecnis edge glare is extremely large and the whole iol lights up when the light hits the edge making the entire vision distorted. extremely conflicted on whether it is worth the risk to exchange it out.

"From straight after surgery to now, I appear to have positive dyphotopsias which is disappointing. It’s a lot worse at night in a relatively dimly lit or dark room, a lot of light sources will have either a half-circular arc a fair distance above it. Some have a full thin halo, again a fair distance from the light source rather than right next to it. Some lights will also have light rays extending up to the arc like an open hand-held fan. "

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Edited

here is a picture of the edge circles.image

• Posted

I have Tecnis ZCB00s, and I see that every time I get my eyes dilated. Vision is fine in the dark with light sources normally.

• Edited

do i see the lens edge with panoptix - yes. i see arcs in the same nasal upward direction. 9 to 1 o clock but they are very small. also every bright surface or reflection has an extra glow on tecnis and this is not because of the rings but because of the pupil and tecnis relation. this glow is absent on the panoptix.

• Posted

Unfortunatelly, the truth is that entire Tecnis platform should be abandoned at all and removed from the market. These IOLs are a danger to patients.

It's a very good quality, but poor design which ruined my life as well.

When it comes to your case, if you have a direct comparision with another IOL, I'd be more than encouraged to go with exchange. However, since you have Panoptix in your second eye, I'd go with a monofocal lens. From my point it'd be much safer and more efficient for you. Obviously you do have some reduction in contrast due to Panoptix, yet inter/close-up vision. Combined with a pure monofocal would work much better than 2 Panoptix IOLs at this stage.

Not to mention that IOL exchange is unpredictable and you may not even get a single-piece during your surgery, so I won't aim any multifocal IOL at all.

• Posted

when you cite this dysphotopsia problem with Tecnis are you also including the Eyehance iol as being problematic?

• Posted

yes. those quotes are from someone who got eyhance.

• Posted

i would be perfectly fine with a clareon monofocal. this tecnis stuff is ridiculous if you are getting same effects with a tecnis monofocal. i assumed i had no choice and would get this effect with all lenses because of my large pupil. if they give me 3 piece sofport how do i know it will not cause edge glare. the patient experience should be accounted for.

• Posted

Soks, what I learned from IOL exchange topic:

1. Noone would ever guarantee you that you won't get PD again.
      2. You'll "go inside a dark room without knowing what's inside".
      3. Even if you continue with PD, I'm 100% sure it wouldn't be as severe as with Tecnis since it's not only about pupil size but about edge profile which sucks in the case of that platform. Remember, there're millions of folks out there who have very large pupils and no PD whatsover. That's why your statement ( "i assumed i had no choice and would get this effect with all lenses because of my large pupil") is incorrect in my view.
    • Posted

i think i agree that different lenses work differently for different individuals. for me tecnis PD as well as quality are a problem.

since the clareon platform is somewhat same across monofocal, vitity and panoptix, the edge profile and vision quality for me would be similar. u think thats not correct thinking?

• Edited

It's not fully correct, because even though the edge profile would be the same, the quality of image (mono vs multi) would not be the same. In other words, if you switched to monofocal, you would combine best quality vision with best range of vision (Panoptix). Don't see any benefit from 2 lenses with best range Panoptix (worst quality).

If it comes to PD, it'll be an additional benefit for you, yet not guaranteed as we know.

• Posted

I am very sorry that you are experiencing these PD. Is it possible that the iol is tilted or decentered in your eye?

• Posted

i went to multiple doctors all over the US including the famous ones and no one had an explanation. i for the symfony ezchanged for panoptix and fhat resolved the issues. before that i got panoptix in the other eye and found that i was not getting PD with it.

• Posted

Have you had YAG in that eye? If yes, you might want to check to see what lenses are suitable for an exchange. It may be a short list.

• Posted

not yagged. but even then the new lens doesnt stick into the capsule like first time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.