My thought processes are causing emotional problems!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello...

I'm new to the site & just needed to talk...

I've been diagnosed for 15 years with Bipolar 2 & have experienced many symptoms.

I'm experiencing low level depression at present, I've lifted from daily crying & total avoidance of daily activities, to feeling flat & not wanting to do much, however carrying out what's absolutely necessary.

I've been taking an antidepressant now for just over 3 weeks so will start to lift more & more shortly; only to then start looking out for hypomanic symptoms (it's all a self management game that can be so draining)!

I'm struggling at the moment dreadfully with self confidence & esteem & my thought processes.

I feel I am fat, old, unattractive, useless & unworthy & I'm constantly questioning my husbands desire to stay with me?!

I'm out of work again due to my moods, I am not carrying out any of the careers I'm trained & qualified in & now even struggle to hold down a less stressful job.

My thoughts are turning every situation into a negative; if my husband leaves the house I think he's meeting someone, if he's looking at his phone I think he's interacting with another woman. 

Although we've been married over 11 years & together 12 with a son together & he's never given me any reason to doubt him, my negative thoughts are crucifying me!

I'm almost 13 years older than my partner which generates insecurity...

I know these thoughts are typical symptoms of the depressive pole & I'm sure once I've lifted or when next euphoric, I'll be back to feeling invincible & the sexiest woman alive; well, I'll feel better about myself anyway!

The constant cycle & inability to stabilise moods & mind sets, just make me despair!

Anyway...I've waffled enough, just needed to offload & would love to interact with someone, although appreciate that there may be no-one around.

Thank you for reading, take care, as I will too. ;0) 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Scottie70, you describe very well how the mood swings affect you.  You mention that you are on antidepressants and now feel wary about a manic attack in the future.  You do not say if you are also on some form of mood stabiliser.  I can only say what is working for me - Lithium - which after two years has proved to me that I can weather depression and have some confidence that I will not suffer an attack of mania; and when I have found myself going a little high I am now able to listen to my husband, son and friends without biting their heads off.  I hope you soon feel the affects of the antidepressant, stay stable and hopefully find work again.  All the best, Clare
    • Posted

Hello Clare...

Thank you for your reply.

I know that the best way to treat most if not all symptoms, diseases & disorders is to take regular medications.

I however have tried mood stabilisers & don't like their impact on me.

My worst mood swing triggers are generated by the mood stabilising drugs & therefore it seems ridiculous that I would take them & cause myself further emotional distress?!?!

I've studied the impact & effectiveness of certain medications on the system at Uni when studying midwifery; so I should know better!

I gave them a good go & didn't like how they altered me physically & psychologically.

That's why I only take antidepressants when I'm really low/depressed & can't pull myself out of it.

I can control the hypomanic states that occur in me with the help of my husband, however I can't control the depressions & that's why I feel I need the antidepressants & don't take the stabilisers.

If I take the antidepressants longer than they are required, they initiate a euphoric state in me that can escalate into hypomania.

The great thing in my favour is that I know myself really well & how bipolar effects me, enabling me to feel & be more in control.

There is absolutely no doubt, in the past, I've felt I'm in control & I'm not, however my husband is aware by that stage & takes the reins!

Hahahahahaha...

• Posted

Dear Scottie70,  Like you, for years I fought against various psychiatrists about the side effects of mood stabilisers, especially Lithium, as I had been poisoned by it in the past.  However, now I am taking the lowest dose of 400mg each night and all I can say is that it has made life a lot better.  I still suffer from low moods but not as much or as severe as before.  I had a high blip over Easter, but because I am taking the Lithium I was able to talk it through with my husband, grown up son, friends and professionals and nip it in the bud.  I have given up the notion that being high is a 'release' or 'fun'.  Too much chaos has resulted from my previous manic states.  In the past, because I was so anti drug treatment I tried hypnotherapy, homeopathy and acupuncture.  It might work for some, but I really had to bite the bullet and agree to Lithium 2 years ago.  Please don't think that all my life is hunky-dory now, but having a more stable mood is helping me to live a more fulfilled life.  Having read other blogs about people's experiences of Lithium I consider myself lucky as I don't have dreadful side effects, have not put on weight etc  I hope you have a reasonable relationship with a shrink or care-coordinator.  They are not the enemy and might be able to work with you.  I hope this is of some help.  All the best, Clare

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.