my tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

morning ladies & gents. i am now 19 days post op. i had the temp stitches out for a gape on saturday & the dressings off. my knee feels worse than ever. its on fire, harder than hard & the pain is getting worse. i have only been able to exercise once maybe twice, due to the swelling & horrific pain. any suggestions? i usually exercise through the pain, but this pain has just gone up 10 fold xxx

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh dear poor you, this burning sensation is apparently caused by the healing of tour knee parts. They have to cut into lots of things which then have to heal. When I had days like this I left the excersises alone and rested with the ice pads. I think you will find that you are going through the hardest part of the op.it is really difficult to cope with. I am mow 6weeks and 4days and at last am having some good days. Had less really bad days over the week in fact. Don't be afraid to leave your excersises off for a day or too if you are in so much pain after all your knee has enough to cope with at present. Things will get better as I'm finding out. I went to lunch at my sons yesterday and enjoyed a glass of wine or two.i really feel for you this has to be the hardest time. I still wish I hadn't had the op but I can't go back and ask for my old knee back, they will have binned it by now lol. Take care my friend your Spain will ease soon. Toy will in my thoughts love to you from tucks. Xxu
    • Posted

hiya lovely, always nice to hear from you. i am glad you had a nice day at your sons, do you the world of good. apart from the hospital i never go out, but to be fair, i never before my op. i have my car sitting on the drive.& my son or daughter never offer, lol, bit disappointed in the m both. i can not believe how selfish they both are. i have brought them up on my own, they have never wanted for anything & they do nothing for me. they are 33 &30, so mot kids. never mind. as of saturday gone i can have a shower & i am to scared to. i was prone to falling before my op, but not with my knee, with my back & the pain & now this. i have a very good wash down every day, so do not worry, i do not pong, lol. just feeling very vunerable at the minute & last few days. take care sweetie xxx
    • Posted

I invested in a rubber mat (like we use when we bath babies) to go in the bath before I shower or have a bath.

Have a real fear of slipping and the mat works wonderfully.

Just a helpful hint!

• Posted

thanx lynn, anything os worth a try. have a lovely day xx
    • Posted

The hospital gave me a seat that sits across the bath, very handy if you can get hold of one Nanny. I fill the bath up so that my feet and lower legs are in nice hot water then switch the shower on. Hope things improve for you. 
    • Posted

hiya lady, i hope you are well. i have not got a bath, just a shower. i had the bath taken out because i could not get in or out. i have spinal stenosis & fibromyalgia. thanx, julie x
    • Posted

Ah, no use then. Iwonder if you could have a seat in your shower? So sorry you have so many problems, makes me feel guilty for moaning about my small worries. X
    • Posted

noooooo, never feel guilty & you can have a moan to me anytime. its a struggle, i am only 16 days post op. i am sure all will be good in the end, but at the moment i can not see past today. take care lady, lol. xx
    • Posted

Aww, I'm sorry your kids are a disappointment to you. They do tend to get involved in their own lives, I know. Do you have friends or close neighbors you can rely on if needed? I do hope so. I wish I could be there as a friend and helper, but unfortunately I Iive very far away from you sad

Take care sweet lady. Things will get better. We all  go through the emotional up's and downs as you are going through.

• Posted

hiya betty, i have got nobody. never mind. i keep myself to myself really.  your a lovely lady & very kind. take care sweetie xx
  • Posted

I live in the states, so I am not familiar as to how your health care system works, but are you able to have a home nurse or therapist come to your home to help with bathing, exercises, running errands or anything else you may need? If you still feel unsafe bathing or showering by yourself, it would be good to have someone there to be of aid if needed. Is your doctor or surgeon readily available to answer any concerns you may have? Take care of yourself! XXX
    • Posted

thanx very much betty. you take care of yourself lovely lady  X X X
  • Posted

i have noticed today, that the whole of my lower leg & my foot are really blowing up & are so tight, this is aswell as my knee. has anyone else experienced this? thanx peeps xx
    • Posted

Elevate legs...ice and rest. Very common for me if I leave my legs down very long. I don't think you will find very many that don't experience it. Quiet music and a glass of wine will help calm things down and within an hour or so the swelling will reduce. Terribly frightening the 1st times not to mention painful.
    • Posted

thanx very much fella. it is scary yes, painful & tight. gone down a bit now. i have my legs down all the time, as i just don't know which way to sit. thanx again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.