my tkr

Posted , 8 users are following.

morning ladies & gents. i am now 19 days post op. i had the temp stitches out for a gape on saturday & the dressings off. my knee feels worse than ever. its on fire, harder than hard & the pain is getting worse. i have only been able to exercise once maybe twice, due to the swelling & horrific pain. any suggestions? i usually exercise through the pain, but this pain has just gone up 10 fold xxx

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

reading all these make me feel good and not alone , im 7 weeks and just had my 6 week check , ive got all the movement wanted , i can go up stairs normaly so every thing sounds good , BUT that pain on the side of my knees errrrrrrr , feels like its a plastic card stuck on card with that clear glue and your trying to pull them appart , but a laest i dont feel alone  , all this advice is not only interesting but helpfull thanks smile
    • Posted

glad you 6wk check up was fine debbie. i am 3 weeks post op tomorrow & can not bear the pain & tightness. my leg & knee swell like balloons, just a nightmare, but as you say, its nice to know your not alone. take care hun xx
    • Posted

Good news on your check up, Debs. I still get a pain at back of my leg. (9 weeks now). Thought it was improving yesterday but back again today. I went to the supermarket this morning then decided to walk up the street to look in a few more shops. What a mistake! Must have been on my feet for over an hour and a half. I'd intended to go for a coffee afterwards but couldn't face standing in the queue so came home! I suppose it's the knee telling me not to overdo it but I get so fed up. Just long to be normal again. Sorry to moan. Must keep positive 😊 Jen x
    • Posted

Isn't it ridiculous how slow recovery is from this?  No wonder my physio tells me it's one to two years before we are fully recovered.  Just another thing they forget to mention before the op!

Know I am getting there at 13 weeks post op, but still feel anxious when going out, especially when I'm not sure how far I'll need to walk.  This op really saps your confidence as much as anything.

• Posted

well jen & lynn, never be sorry for moaning. i do not think anything could have prepared us mentally or physically, for after op. i was told it would be hard work, but nothing about the agony suffered. i am 3 weeks post op tomorrow & wonder if i will ever get over this. my knee, leg & foot are so hard, hot & swollen, they throb. i have a bloody good wash every day, top to toe, but am scared to get in my shower, as i know at the moment i could not stand that long. even before my op i could only stand for very limited time, due to my spinal stenosis. anytime either of you want a moan, rant or a chat, leave me a message & i will answer you. take care ladies x x
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words. I took a while to be confident in the shower. I was lucky our shower is big enough to put a chair in at first. I also used a portable towel rail to hold on to. You will get better over the next few weeks. It's so hard though isn't it? Take care.

Jen x

• Posted

Glad to hear you feel more confident at 13 weeks - gives me some hope😊

When I heard it could take a year or so to fully recover I always imagined that was some unlucky people and didn't apply to me! When you walk a lot, Lynn, do you stil do your exercises as rigorously? I still wonder if those horrible leg extension ones do me more harm than good. Just looking for an excuse to have a rest this afternoon😊 Jen x

• Posted

Sorry for the late reply.  Have been helping my daughter with grandchildren. Exhausting!

If I do walking during the day or it's my day at physio I do cut back on exercise that day.  Still always do two sets a day though and feel that is how it is going to be for a while.  Certainly fiest thing in the morning they are the only thing that gets my knee bending.  Feel like I am back to square one first thing!

Must be getting better though as we are planning to visit our daughter in America for Thanksgiving.  Something I couldn't have contemplated a month ago.

• Posted

Thanks, Lynn. Yes, that's what I did today, just did a few easy ones midday then my usual this evening. Worked out that this pain I'm getting is in my hamstrings I think. The straightening exercises really pull on it but I suppose I must keep them up. As I said earlier this week I must think of the exercises as friends not enemies 😊 Well done on your forthcoming trip to America. It 'll give you something else to focus on. Jen x
    • Posted

On your upcoming trip this way Thanksgiving. You will probably here this at every turn.....starting days before your flight hydrate to the max and continue that even after your flights termination. Walk the aisle every hr or so. I have flown from mid America to Korea and Switzerland since my 1st replacement and the only problem I ever had was on the Asian trip that was so rough that we couldn't move about the cabin for about 3 hrs. I got very stiff and has trouble getting loose.
    • Posted

Will do.

We are very lucky to be able to travel business class so will be able to spread out, sleep and rest with legs up.

• Posted

thanks jen , i know where your coming from with that pain at the back of your knee , im 6 months on my right knee and still have pain on the side where is s numb , how you can have pain when its numb i dont know but i do lol, didnt have much pain one the left at the back till this last week but it has more movement ths=an the other , guess they will catch up . but it is slow going , and i would have come home too ,once youve done enough your body has its own way of telling you , take care .deb x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.