My tongue is numb after drinking

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I drank last night as some know.

And today my tongue is new...feels like I burnt it...and I can't taste anything.

I didn't burn it on food. because I didn't eat last night.  I just drank.

Has anyone else experienced this? 

​Its probably my Central Nervous system being upset with me.

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It will get back to normal, if u drink fluids l also have that sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi funny you should say that as mine feels strange too. Hope you're ok. Have you stopped now? I stupidly drank a bottle of red wine last night. Slept for 12 hours. A little hungover today. Will just have a couple of beers and stop tomorrow. 
    • Posted

Mean I will stop today and not drink tomorrow x
    • Posted

Did you stop?  I can't believe how much I have drank...
  • Posted

Alcohol can cause central nervous system issues of which numbness and pins and needles are two of. You may have a deficiency of thiamine, which is one of the B vitamins. You can buy Thiamine (sometimes labelled Vitamin B1) in pharmacies and a pretty standard dose is 100mg twice a day for 28 days, to get your thiamine back up to where it should be. If this doesn't work and you still have symptoms, you should see your doctor.

You should also be aware that while drinking large amounts, you will depleting your thiamine so taking a supplement will be less effective.

• Posted

Thx..I keep hearing about B1..and I had some...but can't find it sad and the only store I will be going to...is the liquor store
    • Posted

May be easier to buy online, Missy. There are lots of places that sell it in all countries.
    • Posted

For anyone UK based, a certain high street health store chain with the initials H&B do them.

It is £3.49 for a 100, or two bottles for £5.00. They also can be ordered online plus delivery. I have no connection with this company, I only mention it because they will be local to many people and I've read that people are having problems trying to locate it. Any chemists should be able to supply it, but you're less likely to get asked what is it for in H&B, saying I have an alcohol problem and I've been advised on a forum to take thiamin, doesn't always get the best response from the pharmacist.

It is purely B1 vitamin, often found in the fortified vitamins in cereals, only not in the amount that a heavy drinker needs. Also, look out for it as B1, because untrained staff don't always know what thiamin is.

• Posted

Hi misssy

Ive had the same thing happen to me several times. Each time when I've drank neat vodka. It felt like my tongue was on fire the next day. I used sore mouth spray and gel for mouth ulcers which worked. Couple of days without drinking and was back to normal. Having said that, don't think you drink spirits do you?

• Posted

Vodka is really powerful..glad I'm not drinking that.
  • Posted

Hi Misssy. How are you today? Me I'm rubbish! Finishing off a bottle of red wine. Not my choice of drink but reccon that I will drink less if it's not white wine or vodka. I'm a fool !!!
    • Posted

How do you get your booze? I have to drive..which is totally not good.  Going soon and its 8am here. sad
    • Posted

Just be careful you. Don't lose you driving licence. I haven't but it's another "yet"... 
    • Posted

What are you drinking today, beer, wine or.
    • Posted

Oh yea..the yets...yup..not yet lost my house..not yet been charged...how do you get your booze?  Do you drive?  I took big chances today...and escaped...but it is definetly a YET
    • Posted

Don't Missy, it's not worth it. Imagine someone is a wheelchair for the rest of their life because you drove after drinking. Your driving licence is the least of your worries if you are doing that. I don't want to be lecturing you, but please think about the awful consequences that could occur which would add a lot more issues to your life.
    • Posted

I wasn't careful enough. I lost my licence 13 years ago. I'd been to a party and had plenty of wine. Went to bed about 3am. I got stopped on way home after taking kids to school 9.30am. I never dreamt I was over the limit from the night before. The guilt and shame were, and still are, horrendous. I would never have driven if I'd known. I've not driven since then and never will again. The thought that I'd put my own kids in danger as well as anyone else, mortifies me every time I think about it, which is daily
    • Posted

Paul you are so right. The thought and sheer horror of what could have happened is the reason I've never driven since I got banned. If by admitting what happened to me, I only stop just one person from drink/driving it's worth reliving that nightmare. Please anyone don't drink and drive, don't even think about it. I know I couldn't live with myself if I'd harmed anyone. I was lucky no one got hurt, but it could easily have been a very different scenario. 
    • Posted

Drinking and driving is totally bad...i  get it..

​And have also been lucky not to hurt anyone..or myself.

• Posted

yea..I DO know..both my sisters have had DUIs..me drinking for 30 plus years and not a driving drunk ticket...my stupid brain says..NOT ME.
    • Posted

" my stupid brain says NOT ME" Misssy you are far from stupid, you're a very intelligent person whose brain and logic tells you don't do it. You know it's wrong and the consequences. I'm not telling you what to do or lecturing you in anyway. You know it yourself. It really isn't worth it, it's only adding to the guilt you've already got. I just don't want you or anyone to go through the horror and shame I still have. My kids suffered for my mistake, people would talk about drink drivers in front of them, saying those people are the lowest of the low, sad but true
    • Posted

Like I said before, it is everywhere over here, even (as you would say it) gas stations sell it here. My nearest place is the village shop, a five minute walk away. Well, that's not totally true, the local pub is a 20 second walk from my front door.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.