My wife's drinking

Posted , 12 users are following.

My wife has been drinking heavy the past few years I convinced her to cut back this week and she went 2 nights without drinking.  Last night she drank her normal amount (4 or 5 vodkas) and woke up sick with headache and nausea.  She felt fine the 2 nights she didn't drink.  She thinks it is a bug but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same. Thanks

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Steve,

It is great that you want to help your wife so much.  Many women with an alcohol problem are alone ... even though their husband is aware of the situation.  There are many routes out of "alcohol control".  

What does your wife want to do about it ?

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Oh, yes! Over and over again.

My husband is suffering from alcoholism, and has been for many years. After a particularly bad binge he always has a headache and invariably throws up. Then he has to get back into bed to sleep it off.

If your wife has been drinking heavily for some yearss, it's likely that she's having withdrawal symptoms, too. If you can persuade her to go to the local alcohol help centre, where there are doctors whose speciality is to taper people off safely - and counselling is also available - also medications which only a doctor can prescribe for cravings and so on. Perhaps if you Look at the discussion I myself started three evenings ago, you'll find some points whicih may echo what you're going through, watching the person you married going through all this. I headed my discussion WHY DON'T I UNDERSTAND MMY HUSBAND'S ADDICTION TO ALCOHOL  and loads of people responded positively and were very helpful. Stay in touch if you think it would help you. Best wishes, Tess.

• Posted

I don’t think you can stop anyone drinking, my story is perhaps similar..... but it’s become that bad I  live like a single man now. Because when I’m with her she either attacks me, or throws my lunch at me etc.... I’ve been told to leave 9 hotels in the last month. And when I invited her back to the room she trashed it and it looked like a war zone...... where she lives I call the bomb shelter and she’s in with a group that do nothing but drink and take meth all day. Our cat died from starvation which she kidnaped and she left her lotus in the street with the keys in it and it was stolen the $1,250 I give her every week is not used on food.... she was picked up for being drunk at a bus stop then assaulted a ambulance worker, went to court then jail for 3 months. The girlfriend she left in her flat sold everything and now she’s back knocking on the door for cash, she even sells her Valium for vodka...... it’s insane I think I could write a book. Saying all that I’m a engineer and drink heavily from sunrise to sunset don’t drive but still get the job done...... anyway you are not alone.... I think she’s on meth but couldn’t be sure...... but her mood changes are extreme....good luck.....I going on a cruise for 18 months so I don’t end up being dysfunctional
    • Posted

Max, that sound like a tough go alright. If you're inclined to do something about your own drinking (you'd like to cut back or quit), google:

Claudia Christian TEDx 

You'll see links to a Youtube video that talks about The Sinclair Method. I used it to cut back to less than 5% of what I used to drink and have been holding that level for over a year now. 

Sounds like your wife has a mental health issue as well as the addiction(s). That's a tough bundle to live with. 

• Posted

Hello, thanks for your reply...... I don’t want to stop drinking as I own a bar with a doctor in Cheng Du China and I deal with that many fools who have the IQ of head lice...... I like alcohol but I don’t go crazy on it..... and I’m leaving on my cruise in January 2018..... the other side is not talking at the moment, I suppose that will change, but somethings don’t just work for what ever reason..... but to anybody in a similar circumstance it can be very trying indeed...... someone once said the perfect marriage is when the husband is deaf and the wife is blind..... in my position that may very well be true....... all the best Max the engineer
    • Posted

Got it! Well, at least you know that it's there for you or a friend if there's ever the need. Your wife will probably need medication she can live with for the mental problem as well as medical treatment for the alcohol problem. If either one goes untreated she will likely take herself off the prescribed treatment for the other. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.