Mysterious Stomach Issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've had minor stomach issues since I was a teen, but over the last few years they've gotten increasingly bad and I recently lost about 15 pounds. The issues are lack of appetite, a bloated feeling in my upper abdomen, general upset stomach, feeling uncomfortably full for up to six hours after eating, feeling like I need to burp but only being able to release small burps, burps that sound/feel a bit liquid-y (only way I can think to describe it), and some acid reflux type pain.

My anxiety has also gotten progressively worse over the years, and the two problems seem to feed off of each other. I went to the doctor after getting scared by the weight loss and they did a bunch of blood tests, but said everything looked fine. She said she thought my anxiety and stress were causing my issues and prescribed me Effexor XR. I waited a few months to start the Effexor, because I was nervous about it, but I've been on it for about 2 weeks now.

My questions for you are: Has anyone else dealt with these kinds of stomach issues? If so, was anxiety the culprit? Also, if anyone has had these and went on SSRI's or SNRI's, did it resolve your stomach issues once it helped with your anxiety?

All input is appreciated. Thanks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, to stomach issues and losing weight. Yes, to is it anxiety. I am learning how to eat, For me no big meals, lots of small ones. I have stopped all caffeine, sugar, fried foods and fast foods (bad for anxiety ...preservatives) and complex meals. If i have a baked potato, I eat it with veggies. If I have a protein...chicken, fish, etc.I eat it with veggies. No starch with meat.  It's called "food combining." Very helpful, even if not dealing with anxiety. It's now a habit to eat lighter and more often. I would never have a steak, potato and veggie...it would still be with me the next day.

I particularly eat very lightly when in an anxiety spike. Digestion shuts down to some degree when body is stressed. When it's that bad, I have chicken broth with saltines crushed up in it. I always have both in the house. I tolerate soft boiled eggs well , also.

In my youth, I counted calories so I didn't go over my wieght limit of calories. Now I count calories so I get enough to maintain or gain a little weight.

The people in this forum are familiar with stomach issues, and a whole lot more. A very caring, supportive group. You are in the right place for help, Jon.

Saturday night can be a bit quieter than usual. I'm sure you will be hearing from others, dear one. You are not alone. Big hugs.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I'll have to look into the food combining thing and try it out. I've tried lots of different diets so far, and I'm currently in a low FODMAP trial. It has helped some, but not as much as I was hoping. I don't eat caffiene, sugar, fried, or fast food either. I cut them out one by one throughout the trial and error process and now that my body got used to not having junk in it, I can't go back, haha. Do you mind me asking, are you on medication for your anxiety? 

• Posted

Yes, Jon. a prescription was the first thing they gave me after I  got myself to urgent care, an absolute basket case. I didn't even know what was wrong, just that my life had become a horror movie. I was literally headed for the pharmacy before the doctor knew I was gone.

The medication, after raising the dose twice in a week, worked wonders, and I calmed down to the point that i could help myself other ways...which I found here.

• Posted

Okay, thanks. So, you've found that your stomach issues stuck around, regardless of getting your anxiety under control?

• Posted

The anxiety is there, and perhaps will be around for awhile. I have only been living with this for a couple of months. With the meds, and the things I do for calming, I am doing well. i so not have many of the horrible things some dear people are going through, thanks to the meds. and what I learn on how to help myself.

If the stomach issue is the only thing I have to deal with when I get a spike, I can deal with that. I am still learning which foods trigger, which foods calm, when to eat, what to eat, when, and how much. This is an ongoing learning process.

Actually, the stomach issues started after the first anxiety bomb hit, and I kept eating the old way. All the junk. I knew better, but kept it up until my body made me change to a healthy way of eating. It is a little better all the time...as I remember how to listen to my body. Does this help, Jon?

• Posted

Yes, thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it. 
  • Posted

Two things that help that I forgot to tell you. Chewing a tums..chew it up to a liquid before swallowing. The other is...pure topical magnesium oil spray. Spray a few times on skin of abdomen and stomach area. Then massage it in well. Wash your hands so you don't get any in your eyes. I tend to rub mine.

• Posted

Sound like anxiety, I have had similar symptom off and on for months now, also try to get your doctor to agree for a endoscopy to see what's going on with your stomach issues

• Posted

Oh, good avice! I forgot about that!  Rubbing the tummy in circular motions helps to disperse the trapped wind....thanks for the reminder Cia!
    • Posted

I used to rub my son's tummy when was a baby. Helped every time. His wife tells me he still enjoys  that.rolleyes

• Posted

When rubbing in a circular motion, the body responds best if it is clockwise. I won't go into the explanation now....it just works better.

• Posted

I bet he does! Oh, Cia, bless you, bless you for making me giggle like a 5 year old!
    • Posted

What a lovely picture you just put in my head....in the midst of your "stuff" your hand up to your mouth, giggling. Made me giggle with you. I bet my son giggles, too!!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.