Nalmefene for ever???

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been taking Nalmefene since September 2017 and it has really helped me reduce my drinking from 2 bottles of strong red wine a night to about 1 bottle a week. The breakthrough came in January and I seemed to only be drinking once a week. I am now on holiday and in a different environment with different triggers and habits. I have been drinking most nights but not too excess. Last night I didn't intend to drink but over dinner at 8 30pm I decided to have a small glass of red wine .... give me in Thailand the quantities are small and expensive. 125ml glass. Has another 3 and stopped without a problem. This is the first time since starting with Nalmefene I have drank without it.

How long do I have to keep taking Nalmefene for? I have about 30 tablets left so they should last me about another 5 or 6 months if I go back to drinking once a week. My alcohol counsellor said I would be fine without it. Is that the idea?? Or should I have to take it for life?

I am very happy....well totally amazed at how it has transformed my drinking. I thought I was beyond help!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great progress Alison. Sorry, but I cannot give advise since I never took any medicine when I stopped. Others will soon reply here I think. They should know more than me. Looking good and enjoy your holiday 😀

• Posted

Congratulations on your results so far, Alison! It sounds like you're doing really well!

For The Sinclair Method, you must take the medication every day you drink (and ONLY when you drink), then wait the required time before your first drink. 

• Posted

Hi

Thanks. That is exactly what I have been doing....until last night. I will carry on taking Nalmefene when I drink but I will run out. I cannot get a prescription for life from my GP.

A

• Posted

Yes, as ADEfree says, this is for life whenever you drink.

The nalmefene extinguished your association with drink creating the reward but all evidence shows that the association will be re-learned without the protection. 

Just as a side note, do be careful when it comes to needing some more tablets because there is a criteria for them to be prescribed, whether that be privately or NHS.  As it currently stands for that criteria, you no longer have a drink problem in that you aren't drinking enough to warrant the treatment.  You may need to white lie a little!  The criteria for a woman is someone who is drinking around 5 units of alcohol a day and cannot reduce on their own.

• Posted

Thanks. I have been discharged from my alcohol recovery centre so I will have to talk to my GP....he was told I had been prescribed Nalmefene so I just hope the guidelines mean he can prescribe it in Hackney in London.

It really has been a miracle drug for me.

Thank you for all your support.

A

• Posted

I will PM you a link that is the NHS guideline for Hackney.

If you think getting it might be a problem, get in touch with me privately and I will let you know your other options.

Well done though!  I love to see the end results :-)

• Posted

Thank you....you give me hope as I'm only on Day 21 and must remain very mindful. I also suffer from anxiety at times and when a panic attack hits (maybe every 4 months, nothing other than a shot of vodka will give me immediate relief). It does stay at that 1 shot...but drinking can also cause anxiety to become worse so at times I feel stuck in a cycle. Bu I'm sticking with TSM and taking my daily Naltrexone and therapy. The stories I read here are truly helpful. Thank you all so much for your openness. I am in a situation where I could never go 'public' with my drinking.

• Posted

Take it slowly and trust the Nalmefene....it really does work. I had a couple of slip ups when I was not very mindful but I kept going. After 3 months I decided to try for 3 days dry ... in January. I regularly hit 7 days then drank one....after a few days dry or AF it felt ok....safe...easy. Good luck. Xx
  • Posted

Thank you...I'm an impatient person but realize this habit didn't happen over night. It will take some time to undo all these years of abuse but I AM COMMITTED. Thank you all for no judgment...yes, coming from a judge.

• Posted

Interesting that we are from different layers of society but all trapped by the same bottle..you can do it Judge 😀

• Posted

Judge, 

How did u get the naltrexone? I know u responded before, I can’t find the post

Have a great time in Hawaii 

Thanks

• Posted

I got Nalmefene from ARC but I could also buy it online in the UK....

Not tried buying Naltrexone online....Google it. Good luck.

A

• Posted

The C Three Foundation has a "resources' section and there was a telemedicine doctor and I applied and the next day pick-up my Naltrexone from Costco (the cheapest place!)  - no need to be a member either for pharmacy. I initially thought of ordering from allchemist (also on the website) as they require no prescription...but for now I prefer to get my meds made in the USA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.