Naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I have currently just started seeing local alcohol services and they don't prescribe any anti craving drugs.

I previously tried Baclofen which I had some success with but made the mistake of telling my doc and it didn't go down well to say the least do had to stop and to be honest I'm glad I did as I now feel human again but obviously drinking again.

I now have a private prescription for naltrexone and feel u can't tell the powers that be as I think I will get the same reaction and have a gp that refuses to treat me.

The only thing I'm really worrying about is the LFTs that I hear need to be done.The private doctor that prescribed be the script sent a pdf about it and it says that 15 years ago it was prescribed stronger and that was the worry about the strain on the liver but that had now been resolved.But it still is a bit of a worry.Will be picking up the meds on the next day it two

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I can't actually believe I have no side effects at all,when I was on Baclofen the side effects were terrible.
    • Posted

Glad you didn't.  But that might be because you (hopefully biggrin) followed those instructions I pm'd you.  They DO work.

So many people just pop the full pill with no food beforehand and no water and then wonder why they suddenly feel rough!

• Posted

Baclofen has so many side effects. Some people know my story regarding this drug. Please don't take it
    • Posted

Hi fairy

I did use Baclofen last autumn and it really worked for me but issues with my doctor made me stop and also the side effects....feel like a normal person now lol.

10 days in on naltrexone now and I didn't think I had any side effects but last couple of days been feeling achy and I have a really bad pain under my left shoulder blade,especially at night.

Googled it and of course some nasty things came up like pancreas problems ect

• Posted

The problem is that you can search ANY symptom on Google and come up with the most horrendous possibilities as well as lots of causes that are very minor smile

Joint and muscle pain can be a side effect of Naltrexone but I would expect side effects to be stronger when you first take the drug and then subside over time.

It's worth arranging to see your doctor to get it checked out if it persists.

• Posted

Just back from my appointment with my caseworker.Told him I'm taking naltrexone and said I wanted either that or Nalmefene prescribed.Gave him all the speil ect and he said he would talk to the consultant about it and in 2 weeks when we meet he will have an answer.

My new set of bloods are fine so I will carry on with the naltrexone.

He wants to give me 3 sets of vitamin injections because a lot of alcoholics are deficient and I think it's a standard thing,but I'm hardly malnourished lol.

So anyway,it's a sort of positive I suppose

• Posted

I find it difficult that you are bad enough to warrant vitamins by IV, but not that bad that you don't need naltrexone.

Eack to there own, and everybody should manage their affairs in the best way for him, but personally I would be saying no to the injections if their answer is no to the naltrexone.

You've been off the alcohol for a couple of weeks, your bloods are fine, you are eating well and taking vitamins orally, I'm not sure of the need of IV vitamins.

• Posted

They just need to tick the boxes I think and I think the vitamins won't do me any harm and hopefully do me some good,I could have said no but they're free so what the heck!

I'm not off the booze though,still drinking

• Posted

I too was wondering about the need for iv vitamins when eating well, bloods good and not drinking.

Then saw you're still drinking (not criticising ) but can't you just take them in tablet form, rather than iv?

• Posted

They get absorbed much better in injection form,so why not take the free offer,a bit like that government scheme to insulate your walls,it's free smile
    • Posted

Nicole, I don't recall what your drinking style is like, but remember that a dose of Naltrexone only covers you for 12 hours. If you get up in the morning and want a drink, then treat it as a new drinking session, take a dose of Naltrexone and wait an hour. Otherwise, the alch hits your brain doesn't have any protection from the Nal and it you end up going two steps forward and one step back. 
    • Posted

I drink at all different times but I have religiously stuck to the hour rule.Where before I have woken up to spare wine and drank it that morning I don't do that now till the hour has passed
    • Posted

That is my view, minimal amount of things direct into the vein. If you're only drinking to moderation, eating properly and taking vitamins, I can't see the need for IV vitamins and I would ask what his qualifications are for the diagnosis.

As for free, ever since my hospital visit for the stroke and then going jaundiced, I am offered a free flu jab every winter (even though I'm still 15 years away from 65). I always say no, don't want things injectd into me that I don't need, especially that contain the highly toxic mercury, no thanks.

• Posted

Can I ask why you went jaundiced.

I've told my doctor and my caseworker who is a nurse that I think my colour has changed and I think I look slightly jaundiced but they both disagree with me and my LFT are fine but I just can't shake this feeling something is wrong.Lots of aches and pains in my stomach and back

• Posted

There is a reason that they built cavity walls, instead of brick to brick.
    • Posted

Lol,you brighten my day RHGB with your optimism smile
    • Posted

I went jaundiced because of liver failure. I was yellow, and my left eye was totally blood shot (not sure if that was to do with the cerebral haemorrhage or liver), I could see out of it fine, just was not pretty to look at. I still had a pallor about three months after I left hospital (it's a sort of halfway house between jaundiced and normal).

Believe you me, your bloods would not be okay if you were jaundiced through drinking. The liver has no nerve endings, which is why there is no pain system to stop you when you are drinking too much. The kidneys can cause pain, quite severe and that would feel like it came from your back. Something like like of hdration could cause that.

You can always ask them if you have a pallor.

Please do not Google jaundiced and associated words with it, you will not like what it says or some of the images it shows.

• Posted

My bloods show my kidneys are fine as well.I drink 2 litres of water a day when I'm working as well as about 5 cups of tea
    • Posted

The pain in my back is under my left shoulder blade and worse at night
    • Posted

I did remember reading something about pain under the shoulder blades, but can't remember what it was. I'm sure someone else will have an idea.
    • Posted

If you don't mind me asking ,how much were you drinking before you stopped
    • Posted

About 8 pints of lager/cider a day.

Four in the pub next door, when I got home. Take the dog for a walk, come home, put some food on, work my way through four cans, fall asleep. Get up in the morning, take the dog for a walk, shower/dress etc, get in car, go to work, come home, repeat previous evening.

• Posted

That's about 20 units a day,I was doing that for at least 3 years and sometimes 30 units,I think you were unlucky or I was lucky,who knows
    • Posted

Multiply your years by seven or eight and you're about there.
    • Posted

I've always drank though,it was just the last 3 years or so that it was 3 bottles,it slowly went up over about 25 years
    • Posted

I have met a young girl with jaundice in an aa meeting once. She had been discharged from hospital and been told by mental health to go to meeting as that was all they could offer her. She was a shocking sight, the main think being the whites of her eyes were yellow. It really upset me and I tried to talk to her but she was either high on meds or vodka. Never saw her again. So so sad..

Also, on one of my binges, I thought my skin looked yellow but my dad, retired gp, said that one of the main signs are yellow eyes. Hope that helps to put your mind at rest. Best wishes xx

• Posted

Someone with jaundice should never have been discharged from hospital. Of course they can aalways self discharge, which although it is someone's right, it is not a good move.

Of course, if you're that unwell, they can't section you, because they don't have the facilities in the mental wards.

• Posted

No doubt she'd discharged herself. I've done it a few times when I've got sick of waiting for hours and desperate to get out to drink and wallow in misery. Did a runner once to in Sheffield. Pretended I was going for a cig and just carried on walking!
    • Posted

I certainly would have discharged myself, except I was in a wheelchair when ever I left the ward (four people ward, so relatively small). The small matter of a catheter and early on an ascites drain, were merely incoveniences, not being able to walk, seriously dented my escape efforts.

I used to envy one of the guys opposite me (I had many co-patients over the time and none of them lasted anything like me, you just got to know someone and have a good laugh and then they'd be gone), he could walk fine - it worked out at at one time, about two out of the four could walk and two couldn't.

He used to go for a stroll to have a fag, or just get out the place for awhile. You weren't allowed to buy cigarettes, but you could smoke any that were brought by family. He didn't really have visitors, so he used to take a stroll to Tescos about 20 minutes walk, by a packet or two, have some food in the cafe and take a stroll back.

He had been at the hospital before and been in the mental wards. This worried me, because he seemed completely normal, there was nothing about him that said, loony alert. He sad there were four wards, one was the complete straightjacket padded cell affair. One was a halfway house and the other two were more like being in an ordinary hospital ward. He said it was great, because they allowed you out and he used to sneak off to the pub at lunchtime.

My wife who came to visit me everyday siad she couldn't believe all thhese people out the front, smoking, half of them in wheelchairs pulling along a saline drip or similar.

I did try to escape at least six times, twice from the one step down ward. I remember within seconds there were five nurses (one male, four female) in the room, with me on all fours, I didn't have the use of my legs or much of my right arm, and the sides of the bed were pulled fully up like a cot. So I worked out the only place I could get out was by my feet at the end,. But with only one arm working, I had to sit up and start rocking myself back and forward, like a demented person, trying to get enough momentum, until I finally managed to grab the bottom rail with my left arm. Then I had to rest five mintues before I could get the strength to pull myself forward.

Eventually I pulled myself forward, so that my pelvic region was balancing me on the end. At this point i will say I was 18 stone, but before you say fat git, I am 6'2" and when I got out of hospital, I was 14 stone, gaunt and as thin as the walking stick I was using, which will give you an idea of roughly what my weight should be.

So, I pulled myself off of the bed end, with my one good arm stretched out to try the best to break my fall onto the hard floor, but the sound of 18 stone of dead weight falling to the floor, sent shockwaves through the building.

As I said, there was a barrier of nurses within seconds. I'd been hallucinating before hand and I think a combination of a bleed on the brain and all the drugs they'd put in me, was not doing the best for my cognitive skills. I remember challenging them to call the police and saying that at least if I got arrested, they'd let me go in the morning and I could go home. Of course it was all futile and I was going nowehere except back to bed. I did exactly the same again, I don't know if it was the same night or another night.

I think one of the reason they never gave me any physio, because they liked the idead that i couldn't walk anywhere, without have something to lean heavily on. Of course, mister resilient nuisance here, did his own physio and began walking about in the toilet/bathroom, a lot bigger than a usual bathroom because eveything had disablelled facilities. Then walking arounf the ward. Then one of those zimmer frame things, followed by a walking stick, which really pee'd them off, because it meant I could walk out of the building. As I left the ward, the ward nurse always used to say, where are you going RHGB, to which I would say, to the pub nurse ratched.

I was talking to the nurse at Addaction, because she worked at Walsgrave (the Cov hospital I was in) for a number of years and we were comparing notes. And I said, I got worried about my repeated escape attempts and the fact that it would only have taken two of the consultants to sign a form to section me, to which said, they can't. They have no medical treatment facilities in the mental wards, so they can't send the sick there.

• Posted

"The great escape" sounds like a film. Think you should write a book!!! Thanks for your hospital story, found it very amusing. It's good we can still have a sense of humour about our drinking career!!!
    • Posted

I was a terror, I was marked down as a troublemaker, not in a nasty way, but if anyone was going to get up to something, it would be me. Because as well as the liver side of it, I had the bleed on the brain and they were sh*t scared of me falling over (I did it several times anyway) and banging my head.

I remember I went to have a shower and shave one day. You locked the shower room, but staff always had a key to get in for emergencies. I slipped and of course half fell, but managed to grab one of the hand holds. Of course they heard me, and the next thing I know, there's this Asian nurse (with accent) saying are you alright Mr.RHGB, and then trying to unlock the door. Then banging on the door telling me to open it. I can't remember which, but I had either wedged something inside the key lock or wedged a chair up against the handle from the inside, so they couldn't get in.

They kept on demanding that I open the door and I said p*ss off, I'm on the toilet, leave me alone. I got merry hell when I finally came out.

• Posted

Yet another example of your excellent creative writing lol!

somehow you manage to turn a serious topic into a funny and amusing story, but still manage to make your point.

please don't stop, it lightens up the forum

• Posted

I have more stories, I will tell them one at a time, as time goes on.
    • Posted

Will look forward to reading them! and I won't be the only one
    • Posted

I don't believe you, there is no way your real name is Mr RHGB smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.