Naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I have currently just started seeing local alcohol services and they don't prescribe any anti craving drugs.

I previously tried Baclofen which I had some success with but made the mistake of telling my doc and it didn't go down well to say the least do had to stop and to be honest I'm glad I did as I now feel human again but obviously drinking again.

I now have a private prescription for naltrexone and feel u can't tell the powers that be as I think I will get the same reaction and have a gp that refuses to treat me.

The only thing I'm really worrying about is the LFTs that I hear need to be done.The private doctor that prescribed be the script sent a pdf about it and it says that 15 years ago it was prescribed stronger and that was the worry about the strain on the liver but that had now been resolved.But it still is a bit of a worry.Will be picking up the meds on the next day it two

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well I think I have a result after my latest visit with my caseworker on tuesday.I had pitched my case for naltrexone or Nalmefene and he said he would bring it up in the meeting he was having with the other caseworkers and doctors the next day.

This morning he rang me and I also got a letter and he said it was good news and I could start treatment but I have to see a doctor first which I'm doing on the 15th.

When I originally went there and saw a doctor to be booked in ect they said they don't use anti craving drugs at all so hopefully I'm setting a president

• Posted

Very pleased for you, it seems of recent that if people are firm and set out what they want and why they want it, they have a good chance of getting a result.
    • Posted

Best luck, Nicole! Let us know if we can help, keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    • Posted

I took a lot of what you said onboard when I went to my meeting on Tuesday,so thanks for your advice smile
  • Posted

I often drink in two periods a day and was wondering if anyone knows if 12 hours have passed if I should take any more naltrexone.Ive seen it be said some people top it up with 25mg if the drinking is over an extended period.
    • Posted

Nicole -

Yes, if you are still drinking 12 hours after your first dose of Naltrexone, you should take another dose and wait an hour before you continue drinking. That is the latest guidance that I've read from Joanna on this subject.

• Posted

Yes, best thing to do is to treat as two completely separate drinking sessions.

In due course, the idea is to work to make the first session start later in the day so that eventually one tablet will be all that is needed to cover you.

• Posted

So I'm going to see a doctor tommorow at alcohol services which my caseworker said is to be prescribed an anti craving drug as I told him last time that I was using naltrexone and by a miracle they have agreed.My question is,if I'm offered a choice should I have naltrexone or selincro or is there really no difference in effectiveness.Natrexone is working I think but I know it's a slow process but the fact I've had no blackouts tells me something
    • Posted

My personal preference would be naltrexone, Nicole.

Because firstly it seems to have far less side effects associated with it, especially later when you are going weeks without drinking.

And secondly because it is only a one hour wait.  If you have an unexpected situation crop up that triggers a craving, then only having to wait one hour will be less inconvenient.

• Posted

I am only going on what I have read here, so take it with a pinch of salt. Selincro seemed to have edged itself in as the de facto medication to take.

It seems this is the easier medication for people to get on the NHS, because it is some how 'more' approved than naltrexone. Also the medical prfession seems more comfortable with it.

But, I have read more people saying that the initial side effects of naltrexone are less than Selincro. The downside is, it is two hours instead of one to wait, plus you should be having periodic LFTs.

The big one for me, would be that you are already taking naltrexone and from what I have read, it seems to be 'working' well with you. Personally, I would always stick with something that I was familiar with.

• Posted

Just to confirm:

naltrexone = one hour wait, periodic LFT's and the majority seem to suffer less side effects.  Usually only prescribed to help manage cravings in those already abstinent so difficult to get on the NHS if you are still drinking.

nalmefene (selincro) = two hour wait, no LFT's and most seem to suffer more side effects, speficically when only usually occasionally as their drinking lessens.  Easier to get on the NHS as it is approved to help reduce drinking.

• Posted

Thanks for both your replies,so if I get a choice I will stick with naltrexone but if course it might not be up to me,we shall see
    • Posted

Good luck.

When you get to see the doctor, it does mean they are going to precribe you medication, but the doctor has to see you in person and will probably want to ask you, what I would call common sense questions. Also he may discuss your blood tests, but usually only in passing.

One word of warning, it is highly likely, that after your chat and you are on the home run, they will pull out a breathalyser and ask for a breath test. I am not suggesting that you drink in the morning, but if you did, that would be one day not to.

The other annoying thing they do (I can only talk for my alcohol service centre, but maybe others do it), is only give you two weeks worth. They'll give you four weeks prescription, but split it into two, with the second one dated, so you have to go back to the pharmacy and collect it, which is not local for me. Then they expect me to collect mine on a monthly basis, when I have an appointment. I have explained the problems with this and I'm currently getting them to transfer the prescription over to my current doctor.

Addaction still take responsibility, my GP is merely writing the prescription, so it is automatically available each month with my other prescriptions. Addaction were totally happy with this.

• Posted

I have been to alcohol services 3 times so far,first was a booking in type appointment with a doctor and the other 2 with my caseworker who is a nurse.Both times I saw my caseworker he breathalysed me and I blew zero.Ive never been breathalysed before so was a bit nervous even though I hadn't drank that morning
    • Posted

That's why I mentioned it, I find it a bit strange that you go to a place for people with alcohol problems and then they breathalise you. It came as a bit of a shock to me, as I'd had a meeting with my case worker, the following week a meeting with the nurse to do health check and bloods and the next week, my doctor's appointment.

Then we went through the whole discussion and were almost right at the end, when they pulled the breathalyser out. I had been six weeks sober by then, so I knew there was nothing in my system - but it still gave me a jump. I hate to think what it does to someone who has to have a can in the morning to steady their nerves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.