Naltrexone

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all

I have currently just started seeing local alcohol services and they don't prescribe any anti craving drugs.

I previously tried Baclofen which I had some success with but made the mistake of telling my doc and it didn't go down well to say the least do had to stop and to be honest I'm glad I did as I now feel human again but obviously drinking again.

I now have a private prescription for naltrexone and feel u can't tell the powers that be as I think I will get the same reaction and have a gp that refuses to treat me.

The only thing I'm really worrying about is the LFTs that I hear need to be done.The private doctor that prescribed be the script sent a pdf about it and it says that 15 years ago it was prescribed stronger and that was the worry about the strain on the liver but that had now been resolved.But it still is a bit of a worry.Will be picking up the meds on the next day it two

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Saw the doc today at alcohol services and she was very nice and sympathetic.She is going to prescribe me Nalmefene but wants me to have 3 different alcohol free days to make sure I won't have withdrawal symptoms.So I go back in 2 weeks and will get my script.She even wants my hubby to go to her and have him go in it as well!
    • Posted

This is good news, Nicole!  Very pleased for you and well done for being so determined.
    • Posted

Turns out alright in the end. One of the reasons she would like your husband to go as well, is the two of you should give each other moral support, so if one is having a low point, the other should pick them up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.