Naltrexone: A daily journal

Posted , 12 users are following.

I wanted to record my experience of being on Naltrexone and felt that as this is the site that inspired me to research it deeper this would be the ideal place to post.

I am by no means a writer but during this journey I have found myself shocked, disappointed and left to figure it out for myself.  I hope that you understand as you read this that I am expressing my own opinions and not trying to devalue or promote anything.

For the last 5 or so years I have been drinking well daily - it would be rare for me to have days without, although in the beginning I like to think that I did. My tipple of choice is white wine; I love the stuff even though it has now become very much a love/hate relationship. We live in a culture where drinking lots is seen as 'normal' and if you aren't drinking people ask if you are OK, pregnant or driving! You are left feeling like the one with a problem when you are not able to 'control' how much you are drinking even though the people judging you are drinkers themselves. I have had blackouts, screaming arguments, left my partner, gone down the pub alone whilst already drunk even hurt myself whilst intoxicated yet that hasn't been enough to make me stop. 

My partner and I admitted to each other we are drinking far too much but we also don't know what to do about it. When you want to quit smoking there are loads of aids, advice and support. For drinking its AA and abstinence as well as a referral to an addiction clinic. I am a self confessed geek and will research the hell out of things so I had downloaded drink tracking apps, read articles and sites all about knowing how much your drinking and how to keep it under control. Well what can I say - I can recite most of it but none of it helped. My partner accepted a referral to an alcohol addiction clinic after trying to seek help from the doctor, I eagerly awaited his return home looking forward to learning new things that would help us. But NO he learned nothing new at all, instead he got to sit in a group talking about why he shouldn't drink, etc. Needless to say that didn't last long. 

I am currently on leave from work and have been since mid March not returning until mid August - oh yes everyday is like a Saturday for me. Things started to get worse and worse, waking up feeling horrid after a hot and sweaty night, dehydrated, head ache, nausea and dreading checking my phone to see who was the lucky one/s that got to hear from me in my previous nights drunken state as well as seeing new bruises that I would have no idea how I had gotten. 

Enough was enough and I looked on the internet to see if there was anything I could use to help me stop this ludicrous drinking cycle that I was in. I went to the doctor and admitted everything; exactly how much I was drinking and how after (2-3 bottles of wine to myself a day). I asked if there was any medication I could take that would help me but was told no, they don't do that there I may be able to if a referral comes from an addiction clinic but even then it's rare. I left the doctors being strongly advised to try AA and Russell Brands book 'Recovery'. Right I said to myself, stop being silly this must be the answer look in to it properly (geek!). I went to the Russell Brand website and watched his podcast about his new book - sorry folks but I was cringing. This was supposed to be a modern day version of AA?!? I thoroughly went through the AA website page by page but no I simply do not agree with it. Great stuck at square one again, sort it out on my own hmphh. 

That is when I came across this website and whilst sober (sorry for previous drunken posts!) I learned about TSM - at last!!!! That isn't to say I was immediately convinced, I also researched that too and found the more I was learning the more I was convinced that this is what I needed to do and ended up watching 'One Little Pill' via amazon prime. Well I was blown away - I finally didn't feel embarrassed about myself!! 

Friday 6th July - My Naltrexone came through the post on Friday, I read the helpful documents on how to be compliant on this site and took my first tablet. I dutifully waited an hour and then  headed down the shop to but a bottle of wine. Now I will firstly state that Wednesday I white knuckled a day without any alcohol, then Thursday I only drank red wine (which I don't like) working on the theory you shouldn't taper down on your favourite tipple. So yes I took it a bit far and shared 2 bottles of white wine with my partner. I also did my usual trick and hid a third bottle for after he had gone to bed. It almost felt like an out of body experience, my body was reacting differently to my brain. I stopped myself after picking up my phone to drunkenly talk to people and didn't even finish the large wine spritzer I had on the go or open the third bottle - I went to bed!

Saturday 7th July - Well that was a new one on me. Having consumed so many units I didn't drag my ass out of bed until 11:30 and had a hang over however I was still slightly proud of myself. Feeling rubbishy I continued my research and found that initially you should start on half the tablet that I had - bonus they would last me longer, although I kind of went off the rails a bit the previous night on a whole one. Still I knew more about mindfulness now and I really really wanted this to work. I managed to wait until 6pm before taking half of a tablet and again waited an hour before opening the bottle. We have a unit measure cup so I poured myself a small (125 ml) and noted it down on the sticky note on the fridge. I wanted to put steps in to place so asked my other half if he fancied watching the 7 o clock footie in the bedroom (keeping the distance from the wine as far away as possible). Low and behold I was going to sleep that night having had 2 smalls and approx half of a small = less than half a bottle of wine!!!! I was buzzing when I went to sleep, so proud of myself. I didn't experience any of my normal behaviour: must make this glass last an hour  watching the clock like a crazy woman, feeling like I was being hard done by, missing it, you know the deal.

Sunday 8th July - Now everyday is different and what works one day does not always work the next. I know because I feel so much better today - no hangover! I will want to start drinking earlier, as long as I take my tablet this is OK. My usual trigger time is between 1 and 3 pm. I have taken my half tablet and am eagerly awaiting 3 pm so I can have that drink. I don't know what to expect from it today but I will remain mindful and keep a pint of cold water with me also as I drank that much with my wine last night (another miracle). 

Well done to you if you have read all of this - I will keep you posted on today's progress smile

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Tuesday 11th July continued - For anyone following this (well done!) you may have noticed that I was not a happy bunny yesterday... Oh yes and to top it off England are out sad 

Well, after being in such a state yesterday my partner was an angel and cooked us both dinner. I remained camped out in the bedroom as I wanted to contain my hideous mood, I was even getting angry that my glass of wine was still lasting over an hour. I put on a programme and my mood abated, I know if I was drinking without Naltrexone it would have carried on all night. My second glass lasted over 2 hours, you just kind of forget it is there. I was immediately thankful that I had not fallen off the wagon and was still remaining compliant, that said I did pour out a 4th glass... Half way through I thought what am I doing and gave it to my other half whilst I had a cup of peppermint tea! 

I was shattered yesterday and went to sleep once the football had finished. 

So 3 1/2 glasses at 125ml = more than half a bottle which is the most I have had to drink since last Friday but if I hadn't taken my tablet I could be talking about having had 3 1/2 bottles!!

Wednesday 12th July - Today I am having a 'be kind to yourself' day, no pressure just chill. I am really pleased with myself. I feel like yesterday was a massive test for this pill and I couldn't be happier that it passed smile 

• Posted

Hi Hummingbird,

I've been reading your journal nodding my head as there are so many familiar traits I've recognized in myself.  From hiding the rest of the wine (sometimes I'd forget that I'd hidden it and find a wine bottle or a large glass of neat vodka somewhere weeks later) to opening a bottle of wine at 00.15am and finishing it off just because it was in the fridge. I now haven't had a drink since 11th July and feel so much better already although I am getting excruciating headaches every evening at about 9pm.  I am due to have an ultrasound on my liver which i think has been the turning point for me and alcohol.  I was being physically sick (not because I was drunk), my stomach was playing up to the point I'd had a few accidents and my eyes have a yellowish tinge to them.  I'm wondering how you are getting on as your journal stopped on 12 July 2018.  Please keep posting with an update.  I think i am going to write down how I used to feel and log my feelings from now on as well.

Look forward to your next post.

All the best

Humpty xx

• Posted

Thank you Humpty and Hayley, I had a really tough few days and then I didn't think anyone was reading so thought I would stop annoying people with my posts!

Thursday 12th July continued - still shocked at how well the tablet worked, even my brain was confused! I took a half tablet again at my normal time but swapped out my second glass of wine for water lol just didn't fancy it and was so thirsty!

I did have a third glass after washing up but was just bored whilst drinking it as in my brain was not consumed by what I was drinking / my next drink / drink / drink / drink ha ha I actually did doe of the puzzles I had saved from months ago (Feb) and felt great, like my brain could breathe again. I left the rest of the wine in the bottle in the fridge and went to bed- shocking!

Friday 13th July - My cat went missing, last seen at around 3:45am by OH prior to leaving for work. I am a very anxious person and tried not to freak out immediately when I woke up at 6:30 and couldn't find her, I spoke to a friend and searched the house for the 5th time before taking to the streets (all I can assume at this point is she has fallen off the upstairs bathroom windowsill whilst grooming). Searched everywhere for an hour, OH came home for lunch told him I still hadn't found the cat and then he searched the house he concluded she was definitely missing so I searched again after he returned to work this time knocking on doors, searching gardens, etc. By the time I got home I would normally have had a drink, I was super stressed and severely anxious but I didn't! 

As soon as I had lunch (cereal!) I took my half tablet but I was also trying not to loose my rag with my insurance company - we were involved in a car accident in JANUARY and still waiting for it to be resolved... in the end I was in tears from just tooooo much stress, after an hour on the phone I went for another look and managed to put off my first drink until after 3.30pm.

Today though I should have upped it to a whole tablet as by 7:30pm I was on my 3rd glass and had 'the taste' and it was going down too easily I started by measuring out medium sized glasses instead of small and then gave up measuring altogether sad Luckily went to bed by 10:30 so wasn't too hanging on Saturday.

Saturday 14th July - Finally found the cat!!!! Took a full tablet just after 2pm and again waited an hour but by 4pm I still hadn't poured my first glass smile unfortunately it went down rather well again tonight - was I remembering the buzz from yesterday, defo should have upped to a whole tablet yesterday but again had an early night as Sunday is a very busy day.

Sunday 15th July - Very busy day out of the house and hours of driving meant I had t wait until 7:30pm before I could have my first drink but finally feeling back on track as by 11pm I was ready for bed and had only 3 glasses smile

I will continue tomorrow guys xx

• Posted

Hi Hummingbird

With all that stress even I would have knocked back a couple of stiff ones and I don't have AUD! So well done you.

I have noted with my OHs TSM journey and from what other people have said, is that the alcohol intake can be very uppy downy for quite sometime. So don't be dicouraged if you do have days when you seem to want more.

Great to hear from you again. You're not boring us

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Good morning Hum, no definately not boring us.  I, as you may have read, have tapered down to 2 units a night from 20.  Have been doing it for the last few months - albeit sometimes going wonky!  That urge is a nuisance and I don't think it will ever 'do one' permanently.  Last night it kicked in after my first glass and I so wanted a bottle.  So I started googling anything that took my fancy, silly stuff, serious stuff, you name it.  After that, I got my second glass (one unit) and sipped it.  That was it, the urge had gone, then milk for bed and a yoghurt and I am so glad today just knowing I won.  Falling down happens, I find just don't stress on it, so what, just pick up next day and put it behind you.  For me, personally, this is working.  Keep sharing for the caring - we are all family on here.

Best to all you guys.

Gwen.

• Posted

Hi Hummingbird!

Wondering how you are getting on? Have enjoyed reading ans hope all is going well for you x

• Posted

Hi Shevardnadze,

I have also been wondering how she is.  I really enjoyed reading her daily journal as it resonated with me in many ways.  I hope she is OK and replies soon.

Take Care

Humpty xx

• Posted

Monday 29th July

Wow I can't believe that this was 1 year ago! It has been really interesting to read back and even inspired me to try again. In hindsight perhaps trying to give up drinking a few months after the death of your baby was never the best timing in the world what with all of the 'first's' yet to come.

I would love to be able to say that I am now fully off the booze but alas this is not so. I have had many ups and down's over the last 12 months, I did manage a month sober but I have also been back down some darker roads. I feel ready now though to try again - what will be different this time though? Well I kept running out of the Nal and didn't always have the money to re-order plus they do take rather a long time to arrive hence a gap where I would slip up and have to wait to try again, a very broken pattern. I also found that I kept becoming tolerant to the dosage so essentially there was no point taking them, I didn't know how high of a dosage I could take so kept stopping. Lastly my OH is doing this with me (not the Nal part as he experiences horrible side effects) and white wine has been banned from our house.

So hear is to take 2! x

• Posted

Just a couple of small things:

Firstly, you cannot become tolerant to the dosage. The tablet enters the system, blocks the opioid receptors, and then slowly gets metabolised out the system. Period.However, 100% compliance is an absolute must, otherwise your brain gets mixed signals and, as a result of not being consistently blocked to the endorphin rush when you drink, will start to convince you of whatever it takes to either not take the tablet at all, not wait the hour before, or simply to over drink despite the medication.

This is a two-fold process. The first is compliance. Without that, it just will not work. The second is to them work with the medication and work towards changing habitual drinking. The naltrexone is the petrol in your car, but you are still the one driving and you need to (at the very least) point the car in the direction you want to go to eventually reach your destination.

Secondly, a lot of things have changed in the past year. There are now a number of private GPs across the UK who understand and prescribe naltrexone for TSM. One of them actually works out, in the long run, to be cheaper than ordering from abroad! So, you will save money AND not have the issue of not receiving the tablets in time. The point is that if you order from abroad and run out for whatever reason, you are literally just wasting money in ordering in the first place because, as I say, TSM won't work without compliance anyway.

If you want any information on this particular doctor, PM me and I will let you know about her.

Joanna.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.