Naltrxone..the latest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Many of you know me on here already and thanks for all the advice you always give me.

Im in such a dilemma at the mo. Carry on with naltrexone or go down the total abstinence route with campral( like RHGB). Confused, depressed, very unhappy, feel ill all the time etc

Well you kind of know from my past about my horrendous drinking and consequences re many hospital admitions, cells, rehabs etc. Longest sober 5 months last year but was in a relationship. Been on my own now for 6 months( first time since 1989!). 

Anyway, I've been taking naltrexone now on and off for several weeks. My drinking is now down to 3/4 to a bottle of white wine when I drink, using naltrexone. 

The problem I am facing now is major depression and insomnia when I don't drink. It's horrendous. Major aches and pains, depression like I'm crying all the time, can't face anyone but my parents and kids. I've become a recluse!

Im so happy that I can drink now without more than bottle of white wine but the next day I feel horrendous. I know in the past that if I'd just drink a bottle I would be OK the next day. But now I'm horrendous the next day as though I'd drunk 2-3 bottles.

At the mo my life is not good. As the after effects stink!

Should I keep going or should I try the total abstinence thing? Help!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Okay that reply was modded try again.

Google 'post acute withdrawal'

Click on the link halfway down that says alcoholrehab with the words addiction recovery in the link.

Read it ALL.

It will help to explain what you are going through.

• Posted

Hello Paper fairy.  I am sorry to know that you are having such a hard time.  Have you tried Campral, in the past?  It did not help me.  My willpower is a sick joke ! I am just 6 days on Selincro, which I think is similar to naltrexone.  It is too soon to judge.  I am finding things difficult.  We have got to try and take help from each other.  At least we have links, that is a comfort to me now, because I always feel so alone in my battle.  I wish I could be more helpful for your decision, but only you can truly decide for you.  I wish you the very best. 🤔
    • Posted

Really nice we can support each other in our battle xx
    • Posted

Campral only works if you have already detoxed from alcohol and stopped. It helps keep you off the alcohol, but you must have already managed to stop, usually by detox through diazepam or similar.
    • Posted

Thanks RHGB. I stopped drinking alcohol a few years ago.  I thought Campral helped, at first... then I forgot to take it...often. Anyway, I stayed off drink without it.  Many months later, I thought I was fine and could just have a glass of wine .....gradually Big Prob Back !  I stopped AGAIN, took Campral, but just could not stay off alcohol. 6 tabs a day and "the drink". The Campral just did not help.  I am trying to do battle again with the help of Selincro, now.  Your info and advice is very calm and helpful.  I tend to get very over-anxious and over-reactive about my situ. 😣
    • Posted

RHGB (I will 2nd paper fairy's description, the nice person who deals in facts!)

totally free of alcohol for at least 3 days, preferably a week.

• Posted

Hello again, RHGB.  I have Diazepam, to use as required.  I am overly anxious. I also take Escitalopram re Depression.  I am wondering about a more regular use of the Diazepam, to calm me, as I seem to be getting in a panic over the Selincro effects...and not keeping reducing drinking.  I will be seeing G.P. on Monday. I haven't taken today's Selincro, yet. Day8 for it.
  • Posted

You know, RHGB( the nice person that's always there for everyone) my stomach is beginning to feel, for the last week, quite big and swollen. I'm not a hypercondriate normally but I'm worried. I've been drinking on and off for several weeks now with naltrexone, but haven't had a liver test. Maybe I've just put on weight, I can go on a binge and lose 7 lbs in a week but then put it back on more quickly. I don't have a weight problem or issue but it, the tummy, doesn't feel right. Anyway, there you go !! X
    • Posted

Did you read that web page in my other post.

Well, you don't get an enlarged liver over such a short space of time. Ascities will usually have other indicators like swollen ankles, but again, that builds up over a long period of time.

I don't know of any side effects of naltrexone that would cause that problem. It may be something totally unconnected. I can't remember how you got your naltrexone, did you have a blood test prior to taking it? You are probably due another one, just to see there has been no adverse reactions to it.

You can always see your GP, that's what they're there for.

• Posted

Blimey, AWS can last up to 2 years! Long long way to go..

Thanks for your reply x

• Posted

Dear Paper fairy,

I hope so much that you are continuing on your journey and are feeling better!

I was just a little bit worried when you mentioned about your swollen stomach - are you able to go to a doctor and discuss it? Does it seem like a roll of extra fat (external), or does it feel more like a large, distended (swollen) area inside? I think it would be important to get this looked at.

Take care of yourself!!! xx

• Posted

External but intend to get an appointment with dr next week if I can get my act together. Thanks for your concern x
    • Posted

Okay, that sounds good. Try to get it looked at - I know it's a lot to handle and it's easy to put things off.... neutral but I think it would be good to have a check-up. Take care and keep us all posted. We are rooting for you - for all of us...!
    • Posted

Thanks. And I mean that. I've been on this forum for nearly a year now. People come and go! Unfortunately I seem to be one of those that keeps posting more and more and crying out for help. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was Autumn last year, but, I'm still one of the regulars! X
  • Posted

Also to Vickiilou. Sorry but I don't know how to pm unless someone has pmd me! Not good this week as helping best friend who's mums died. But hope to meet up soon x
    • Posted

Easiest way, is find a post by Vickylou and click on the letter icon below her avatar.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.