Naltrxone..the latest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Many of you know me on here already and thanks for all the advice you always give me.

Im in such a dilemma at the mo. Carry on with naltrexone or go down the total abstinence route with campral( like RHGB). Confused, depressed, very unhappy, feel ill all the time etc

Well you kind of know from my past about my horrendous drinking and consequences re many hospital admitions, cells, rehabs etc. Longest sober 5 months last year but was in a relationship. Been on my own now for 6 months( first time since 1989!). 

Anyway, I've been taking naltrexone now on and off for several weeks. My drinking is now down to 3/4 to a bottle of white wine when I drink, using naltrexone. 

The problem I am facing now is major depression and insomnia when I don't drink. It's horrendous. Major aches and pains, depression like I'm crying all the time, can't face anyone but my parents and kids. I've become a recluse!

Im so happy that I can drink now without more than bottle of white wine but the next day I feel horrendous. I know in the past that if I'd just drink a bottle I would be OK the next day. But now I'm horrendous the next day as though I'd drunk 2-3 bottles.

At the mo my life is not good. As the after effects stink!

Should I keep going or should I try the total abstinence thing? Help!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh dear paper fairy you really are suffering aren't you?

I know exactly how you feel (no actually I don't as I've not taken  

naltrexone ) but can relate to the feelings you describe.

As you know, I took campral for a year and found it excellent. No side effects and after the first couple of weeks, no cravings.

It gave me a year without alcohol, and a clear head to sort myself out. Only you can decide which route to take.

Naltrexone and carry one drinking or

Campral and no drink

Its good that you've been able to really cut down your alcohol intake, which sounds like the tablets are working. Like many drugs, you take them for thing, but the side effects can be bad.

The depression and insomnia I suffer with, and I only take citralapam. Having never taken Naltrexone, I can't really help with the side effects. The majority of your symptoms I get, so perhaps the tablets aren't to blame.

I know how easy it is to stay at home and not go out. Infact just this year, I've spent a month (apart from food shopping with OH) not doing anything or going out through choice. I'd get up about 11.30am, get dressed without bothering to shower, no make up, hair a mess, unable to eat, have any interest in anything, apart from my grandson. Lie on the sofa and watch stupid programmes I'd normally never look twice at. The trouble with doing that is, the longer you do it, the harder it becomes. I didn't have to talk to anyone, ignore the landline phone as it wasn't worth the effort.

It sounds like you're going through a rough patch, which may  or not be linked with you taking naltrexone.

I was just about to say why not ask your local alcohol support groups, then remembered that would be Addaction!!!

Am sure RHGB will give you his view of your situation. You could always try campral for a few months and see how you get on with it. I think you've lost your self confidence, have low self esteem and are stuck in a rut.

I saw my GP on Monday and told her I can't sleep, her reply was "I've never heard of anyone dying due to lack of sleep!! really helpful that kind of statement

I do hope you can come to a decision sooner, rather than later and am sorry you're feeling so down

Take care, and come back to Lanzarote re-newed and happy xx

• Posted

Sorry, I think I'm going senile! God knows where Lanzarote came from. You've got my mobile no, but I'll pm it to you tomorrow. Am now going to attempt my bed, even a couple of hours during the day helps me.
    • Posted

Thanks so very much for your reply vickylou..really appreciate your words. We can do this, I hope and pray xx
    • Posted

Take it you're awake too. Managed an hour, woke up at  2am. I hate going to bed. Will put it off as long as possible. Even got my own bedroom now!!
  • Posted

I've just read that link about PAWS, really informative. I too thought OMG two years
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you are experiencing such turmoil, PF.  Our brain is used to living with a chemical called ethanol and as we reduce that chemical, it should be expected that things will be uncomfortable as our brains start to adjust to 'normal' life.  RHBG is right that this can take a while and that was a good write up he found.

I do not know much about campral and have never taken it myself so I cannot really offer suggestions on it.

In terms of naltrexone though, by taking the medication and drinking an hour later, it will gradually reset your brain back to it's de-addicted state.  You are already noticing a big reduction in your drinking over a fairly short period of time.

However, the complete process can take some months for most people.  At the end of it, you will feel no cravings to drink and so if you chose abstinence (as a lot of people do at that point) then it will be easy to do so.

By not seeing the process through for the time it takes, if you chose abstinence now then you may experience the same difficulties remaining abstinent as you did before.  Imagine you had a medication that would gradually reduce a tumour over several months..... you are taking that medication and the tumour is reducing.... what you are thinking of here is stopping the medication which is working and that would allow the tumour to not only remain, but to gradually start growing again.

The fact that your drinking has already reduced shows that, with compliance, the naltrexone WILL do what it is supposed to do over time.  But if you don't give it the time to do what it will do, then you are only taking part of a medical treatment.

Your choice of course, and you will have lots of great help on here whichever you chose.  We all take different routes on the journey, but however we do it, we all want to get to the same place and then rejoice in the freedom.

• Posted

Hi. Thanks for everyone's replies and support. Yes I'm expecting too much too soon. Since I've been taking naltrexone I haven't had a binge so should feel grateful. I'm going to stick with it and see this thing through. My alternative is living with an addiction I can't control.

so I'm drinking again this evening, white wine an hour after the pill. 

Just one question Joanna, how long was it before you didn't feel rubbish the next day after naltrexone and under a bottle of wine? X

• Posted

I suffered a bit with the usual type of nal-drinking induced hangovers, but it's been so long since I started (october 2013) that I couldn't remember how long they lasted for.....  Sorry.

I do, however, remember being told that when things seem like nothing is happening, to look back and see the positives - for example, as you say you haven't binged since begining, so that is great.

This is an important thing to do because there will be ups and downs along the way, but they 'downs' will gradually get further and further apart.

• Posted

To be honest I know I'm doing better than before. Unfortunately though I'm having to deal with hard stuff at the mo that isn't relevant.

Im on last glass of wine from the bottle but probably going to have to get another bottle soon...

Cant deal with this and need more wine x

• Posted

This will be another unrewarding drinking session notched up, PF.

That is good because when your brain realises that it didn't do what it expected it to do, then it will gradually stop driving you to need more wine.... each drinking session fully covered by the medication is another towards the overall goal.

This can take many repeated sessions like this before it finally gives up and releases its stranglehold on you but as long as you remain compliant to taking the medicaiton, waiting one hour and then ensuring you don't drink past the medication protection point (approx 11-12 hours after taking the tablet), then it WILL eventually give up.

You must drink on the naltrexone for this to happen and that is okay as long as you follow that one rule above.

So many clinical tests have been done, on real people with real drinking problems, and you are no different to those people who took part in the clinical testing.

Now you know it will work, then your part of the deal to make this happen is to NEVER drink without taking the tablet and waiting one hour.

• Posted

I am sad that you are having a bad time.  I have just totally lost it.  How come that people who want to do right...can't ?  Lost it.  I hope you get better.  
    • Posted

Alonangel,

I really feel that you would benefit from that support I mentioned before.  This forum is a great resource, with great people willing to do what they can to help, but to be actually able to chat one-to-one with someone who has experienced and understands the method inside and out can be a huge benefit, especially for someone like yourself who mentioned that they tend to isolate themselves whilst they drink.

Taking these medications and drinking, which is so contrary to everything we have previously been told, is often an anxious time.  To be able to bounce your thoughts about it all to someone can, and does, understand can really take a weight off your shoulders and enable you to concentrate on recovery.

• Posted

Have you read the book The Cure For Alcoholism?

This is basically the 'how and why' of this method.  If not, PM me your email address and I will email you a PDF copy of it.

It really is important that you understand what the method is, why it works and what to expect.  It will make this a whole lot easier and smoother for you. What you are doing now is the equivalent of trying to learn how to drive with no instructor.  You don't know which pedal to press, what gear to be in.... so it stands to reason that your journey on this is going to either stagger along very uncomfortably or stall altogether.  If it stalls, then you are going to give up and stop taking the tablets, and end up wasting a great opportunity to get out of the rut you are in.

Once you understand what is going on in your brain, then it is so much easier to take the ups and the downs because you KNOW why it is happening and you know that it is part of the recovery.

• Posted

Thank you, Joanna. I was ready to "stuff the tablets", last night.  It is not a good time to make decisions , after 2 bottles of strong wine !  I have taken your good advice about the book.  I have just ordered a paperback copy.  I

cannot print out things, at home.  I have got 21 more tablets, in my packet.  I need to keep trying.....This way is the best chance and I must take it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.