Naltrxone..the latest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Many of you know me on here already and thanks for all the advice you always give me.

Im in such a dilemma at the mo. Carry on with naltrexone or go down the total abstinence route with campral( like RHGB). Confused, depressed, very unhappy, feel ill all the time etc

Well you kind of know from my past about my horrendous drinking and consequences re many hospital admitions, cells, rehabs etc. Longest sober 5 months last year but was in a relationship. Been on my own now for 6 months( first time since 1989!). 

Anyway, I've been taking naltrexone now on and off for several weeks. My drinking is now down to 3/4 to a bottle of white wine when I drink, using naltrexone. 

The problem I am facing now is major depression and insomnia when I don't drink. It's horrendous. Major aches and pains, depression like I'm crying all the time, can't face anyone but my parents and kids. I've become a recluse!

Im so happy that I can drink now without more than bottle of white wine but the next day I feel horrendous. I know in the past that if I'd just drink a bottle I would be OK the next day. But now I'm horrendous the next day as though I'd drunk 2-3 bottles.

At the mo my life is not good. As the after effects stink!

Should I keep going or should I try the total abstinence thing? Help!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I SO feel for you.  Paper..what is happening to you is what I was afraid would happen to me if I tried to take a "pill" and continue drinking (the after effects or not the same effect I expected from alcohol). 

​Possibly, these "side effects" will subside..so since you may not feel ready to stop drinking totally...than I would give the "pill" some more time.

​For me...I have found the only way I feel totally well and healthy is abstinence.  Do I like that solution? Not all the time.  But for me I know that drinking either leads to sickness or in my case death.  Because I know for me...if the "pill" made me feel crappy...I would simply stop taking the pill.

​Don't stop taking it..because it has cut you down on drinking.  And I hope you can find what you need. Most of all I hope you find peace and happiness.

​I have chosen to be abstinent....its the only way I am going to live. And it is very difficult at times...It is the most difficult when I want to escape...So, I have started to "read"...I get up and go when I am anxious....I'm really trying to take my antidepressent medication as prescribed....and I'm doing ok.

• Posted

Hi. It's moaning minnie here again. I'm sorry you must all be fed up of me and my repetitive moaning, droaning on and on and on....

well woke up at midday, feeling rubbish. As always! It's a beautiful sunny day and I just keep thinking about this time last year, when I'd been sober for a few months and how different my weekends were. I can honestly say that I used to wake up exited and happy about the day ahead. Not felt that since last year. Just ill, depressed, useless, can't be bothered to eat etc

sitting in bed wasting my life away. The only way to get through the day after a coffee and feeling rubbish is to continue to drink on the naltrexone. So I took tablet with large glass of water and banana, 1 hour before, as I've done for 3 days now. On second glass of white wine with loads of ice to water it down. Any better..no not yet. I have a few questions I need to ask but will do so in another post. This is because I sometimes write a massive long one but it disappears and it's so frustrating.

So to be continued....

• Posted

Hello Minnie,

But how long have you been taking naltrexone, for most people it takes soem time to have the proper effect.

One way you know it will fail, is if you give up. You know you don't want to do that.

• Posted

Hi . Thanks for reply to  moaning minnie RHGB. I don't count days weeks months etc as I got sick of writing Day 1 so many times over the years, like 1 day sober. Plus drinks diaries etc. But think started naltrexone seriously and properly about a month ago. Tried in past but didn't do it right.

I got to a point couple of weeks ago where I thought wow it's working. But I was sober for several days and then was just taking it and drinking at weekends. I hope Joanna or anyone else in the know will advise me to go back to doing that. As I can't cope day after day with drinking . I need a break. The depression and feeling like I can't do anything the next day, re naltrexone or wine hangover, I just can't carry on.

I think maybe it's because I've experienced long term sobriety and I know I can stay sober. But occasionally I relapse and drink, though never like I used to. All I want is to have a drink every now and then, especially if I go on holiday. I can go weeks, love my life, stay sober but no I'm always going to relapse at some point, be days, weeks, months..it happens.

THIS IS IT...CAN I HAVE A BREAK FOR A WEEK OR TWO OR JUST A FEW DAYS? Then try again for a day or two. ? As I've not drank for this long without a break for 4 years, before rehab. I really don't know what to do. HELP 😢

• Posted

Probably Joanna is best placed to advise you.

One question, what happened to make you go from only drinking at weekends, back to daily drinking?

• Posted

PF,

The tablet is to be taken one hour prior to drinking, every drinking session.  You don't take a tablet on any days that you don't drink.

So, yes, if you feel you can not drink for a day then try it.  If you can, then you can.  Don't white knuckle it though.  If you start to crave, then take the tablet and have a drink an hour later. 

You must NOT drink without taking the tablet and waiting one hour, otherwise your brain will get the endorphin rush and this method will not work for you.

Hope that helps!

• Posted

This is the point. I don't need to drink daily anymore, that desire left me a long time ago. But weekends I struggle now I'm on my own. But I'm determined to see this drug through now I've gone this far. Plus as I said before I'm not strong like you RHGB, and know that there will always be a trigger re bad news etc, and I haven't the strength to say no. When the addictive head comes in, there's no stopping me. So I was hoping this drug would help me when this happens so I don't go into major binge again.

Im not sure if you or anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

• Posted

sorry I didn't answer you question. I carried on drinking because that's the advice given with naltrexone. I thought that I'd get to that point when the drug has 100 percent done the job it's supposed to do, would happen more quickly if I kept drinking
    • Posted

But I feel so ill I'm not sure I can carry on the daily drinking 
    • Posted

Did you read my post above, PF?

You don't have to drink daily to have the naltrexone work for you!

But you do have to take it one hour prior WHEN you drink, EVERY time you drink.  That is it.  On days that you don't drink you need to do something to give yourself a good endorphin boost and that will feel good. Your brain will move away from wanting to drink because the naltrexone is blocking the good feeling, and it will move towards wanting the other activities that feel good.

I think part of the issue you are having with this is that you don't really seem to have a full understanding of the method and how it works.

I have your email address so I will email you a copy of the book that not only explains the science of HOW and WHY this works, but also how to do the method to your best advantage. Please take some time to read it. It will help you a huge amount.

At the moment, you have all the pieces to a jigsaw but are trying to force the pieces where they don't fit , and that is making things really difficult for you. Once you understand what you are trying to achieve with the naltrexone, those jigsaw pieces will start to fall into place.

• Posted

Sorry but my fault. I think that we must have misunderstood each other on Friday when you called me. Luckily, thankfully I've moved on from craving drink every day. If I feel crap the next day then the only way for me to function is to drink. I've been doing this now for several weeks to try to do the naltrexone way. But I need a break from from it. 

So can I stop now and the naltrexone thing will work for me if I have a relapse ? I have to keep repeating that thankfully I don't need to drink every day or get craving sometimes. Can I now just take naltrexone when I get the need , be days or weeks? 

• Posted

Plus I do take it in the correct way re eat something and drink for an hour before I drink. Meaning water!!

Need a break from feeling rubbish xx

• Posted

Just take the naltrexone one hour prior to drinking, whenever you drink, ok?

If you don't drink one day, or two days etc, then don't take the tablet but do something that will give you an endorphin rush that you will enjoy - go for a short work, a little exercise, enjoy a spicy meal.  Anything that feels good.  That will help you lift your mood when you don't take the naltrexone and don't drink.

• Posted

Just so I am clear in my own mind, you understand that naltrexone does not require you to drink every day. If you do drink, do take the tablet, if you get through the day without alcohol, then hurrah, don't take a tablet.
    • Posted

Of course I understand what you are trying to say.

We all cope with different things in different ways. My strenght came from reading what was written here, I can remember my first post, which Paul replied to, and it explained to me some things. Like why I had still gone through cold turkey, even with diazepam, because I had been given too lower dose.

I read here, everywhere on the internet, other forums, I consumed knowledge, until I had begun to understand what alcohol did to people and how there body and mind reacts, particularly over a long period. It helped me to understand why a detox wasn't enough to get me off of alcohol and why I had managed to releapse after a year of drinking.

I managed to find a key to the lock, that was my problem. We all have that ability, it is just finding it and not giving up until we have.

• Posted

Hi, I see where you're coming from. Before I became sober, I had a few spells in de-tox, cold turkey nearly killed me and the D/T's are something else; unbelievable. Councelling did me no good at all; psychotherapy and help from a wonderful doctor, time spent in re-hab helped. I eventually found the answer for me.

You're right, professional de-tox is only just that - getting sober without too much pain then it's usually back to square one.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.