Naltrxone..the latest

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. Many of you know me on here already and thanks for all the advice you always give me.

Im in such a dilemma at the mo. Carry on with naltrexone or go down the total abstinence route with campral( like RHGB). Confused, depressed, very unhappy, feel ill all the time etc

Well you kind of know from my past about my horrendous drinking and consequences re many hospital admitions, cells, rehabs etc. Longest sober 5 months last year but was in a relationship. Been on my own now for 6 months( first time since 1989!). 

Anyway, I've been taking naltrexone now on and off for several weeks. My drinking is now down to 3/4 to a bottle of white wine when I drink, using naltrexone. 

The problem I am facing now is major depression and insomnia when I don't drink. It's horrendous. Major aches and pains, depression like I'm crying all the time, can't face anyone but my parents and kids. I've become a recluse!

Im so happy that I can drink now without more than bottle of white wine but the next day I feel horrendous. I know in the past that if I'd just drink a bottle I would be OK the next day. But now I'm horrendous the next day as though I'd drunk 2-3 bottles.

At the mo my life is not good. As the after effects stink!

Should I keep going or should I try the total abstinence thing? Help!

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for your replys. Tried to sleep but can't. Glad to hear I can have a rest from the drinking. Just need a day or two to feel normal again, if I can. Time will tell! Won't drink unless taken a tablet 1 hour before though x
    • Posted

Now the evenings are getting lighter, especially in two weeks when the clocks go forward, go for a long walk in the evening. Get the fresh air and tire yourself out, you are much more likely to have a fitful night's sleep.
    • Posted

Thanks for being there RHGB. Yes will try that x
  • Posted

Hello p/f,

I've read and studied a lot of information about using medication to reduce and cope with alcohol abuse. I've read many posts; some people want to keep drinking, maybe albeit moderately and some take medication supported courses in order to eventually stop.

It sounds to me that you are not following a medicated course to the letter (maybe you haven't had the time yet?) or it isn't for you.

Total abstinence worked for me; some people simply want to find a way to keep drinking and make it a mission to find a way. Good luck to them - whatever works. 

it's your decision; supportive medication or total abstinence. At the moment, it sounds to me that whatever you're doing isn't working for you for whatever reason.

From my experience and information studied, to try to be a moderate drinker is much more difficult to achieve than total abstinence. I prefer the latter.

But it's up to you.

I wish you well and hope things turn around for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.