Nasal cauterisation issues

Posted , 34 users are following.

Yesterday I had nasal cautery for recurrent nosebleeds. I wasn't told about the ache/pain I would get afterwards in my teeth and jawbone, nor about the continous dripping from my nostril. It's still there today over 24 hours later. I think it was the anaesthetic that has caused this by somehow affecting the nerves of the face and teeth. Does anyone know what anaesthetic they would have used? Has anyone had similar problems after cautery? How long can I expect these issues to last? Also, to top things off, I had no aftercare advice!

1 like, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I got my nose cauterized on both sides and I’ve had two MAJOR scabby patches that restrict my breathing to mouth breathing. How much longer is this gonna last it’s extremely painful and restrictive. 
    • Posted

Hi Eryn -

My scab patches lasted about 5 to 6 months. However, even after 9 months I still have a small amount every day.

• Posted

Had my nose cauterised again yesterday! Probably the 8th cautery in 2 years, feeling really congested on the second day. Had the dripping all of yesterday, now just stuffy. I wonder if continuous cautery is bad for you long term? 

Has anyone else had multiple cauteries? 

• Posted

Hi Russell. I am 67 and have had cauterisations every 2-3 years since the mid 80`s. All I get from my doctor is "it`s just a nosebleed" and so for the last 20 years I go private - very expensive for 10 minutes work. My nosebleeds come at any time - driving the car - taking grandkids to school - in bed etc. I am on aspirin following heart surgery last May 2017 so that does not help. I keep my nose moist with Sterimar nasal spray from Boots - it`s just a mild seawater and I don`t get the clogging catarrh and sinusitis as much. I put some naseptin cream (or E45 or Sudocrem) in the same bad nostril every night but I still needed a cauterisation last Tuesday due to a succession of nosebleeds again When I had the major heart surgery I was more worried about my nose bleeding than the surgery itself and what would likely happen after being on regular aspirin. Yes, I think I am a bit paranoid but any nosebleed does my head in. I love my grandchildren dearly but 4 under the age of 7 take it out on me and I have to be careful. I am used to cauterisations now - the anaesthetic - the pain - the blocked nose - the creeping around for 2 weeks so you don`t disturb it - no exercise as such which in my case after heart surgery sucks. I hope this reply helps. I know where you are coming from. My heart had a Mitral Valve repaired through keyhole surgery yet I find it unbelievable that a permanent cure for nosebleeds is still a long way away. As I said earlier my doctor says it`s just a nosebleed.

• Posted

IBUPROFEN !!!! im on day four of recovery from the cauterization and it's so painful in my teeth, jaw, and around the right side of my head that I can barely sleep and when I do fall asleep, I wake up with only a few hours. Tylenol sucks and the cream I was given does nothing but keep it damp, but ibuprofen has been helping me not feel the pain!

• Posted

I really feel for you! After only 2 days I went to my local doctor and he prescribed me Tramadol (a powerful opioid-based painkiller). It helped considerably with the pain, but I ended up stopping them after 2 days because they were spacing me out!

Hope you feel some relief soon!

• Posted

Hi Renee. Listen. I was in hospital for a week in 2011 having had my nose packed. This was my worst ordeal you cannot imagine. A day before I was due to be discharged a load of doctors & students surrounded me & the main guy said I should give up bending, lifting & moving ( I was a warehouseman ) ibuprofen, hot showers, hot baths, coffee, tea, caffeine, any hot drinks, sniffing, sneezing, ( don`t know how you would do that ) decongestant tablets etc. etc....At 60 years of age they were basically telling me in 2011 that I give up working and I was in bits. They said I couldn`t get help from the NHS ( electric needle ) and once again basically it was "just a nosebleed"

"Just a nosebleed" had taken up a hospital bed for 6 days and nights. People a lot worse off than me needed that bed and I felt as guilty as hell. I have been offered the electric needle by one of my private consultants but I don`t know how much that would cost as I am retired now. Another one said he could tie the two major blood vessels in my right nostril together. Cost? No idea. How much to put me in a hospital bed for 6 days? I will now get to the point try not to use ibuprofen if you can help it. Regards Chris

• Posted

Hi Roger. Likewise in 2017 after my heart surgery I had to come off Tramadol after 2 days as I didn`t feel "all there" regards Chris

• Posted

Same exact thing. I am only 2 days post-cauterization. Extreme migraine headache, toothaches, jaw aches, roof of mouth pain, overall just everything on my head and face hurt! I have been taking Advil Cold & Sinus and it has been helping a lot. I take one when I wake up and one when I'm going to sleep; I won't lie it wears off and I just deal with the pain for about 2-3 hours before I take one before bed, could probably take 3 a day (morning, afternoon, night). Hope this helps at least one of you because this is awful!!

• Posted

Hi, I was hospitalised overnight after a prolific nose bleed and had a rapid rhino pack put up that was so painful i fainted. The next day it was taken out and i had my right nostril cauterised in 3 places then was sent home with a dissolvable pack. This was 10 days ago and my right nostril is still totally blocked and drips constantly day and night. I feel very sleep deprived as the dripping over my face wakes me up every half an hour and because of the blocked nose i have to breathe out of my mouth. I am not usually a nervous person but at the moment i feel very much on edge and worried. I phoned ENT for help and they just said it will get better i just need to wait it out and go to the GP if i need to. I phoned the GP but was told to follow what ENT had said.

I'm worried that there could be something still stuck up my nose that is making it drip or is this normal and i should just wait for it to get better? Does anyone have any advice for me please, can i do anything to help myself???

• Posted

Hello Lena -

I feel so badly for you and know first hand what you are going through. The ENT is correct: just wait it out. You can purchase a nasal irrigation system over the counter to flush your sinuses if you think that might help (it didn't do much for me).

My nose ran as you describe for many weeks, the intense pain lasted over two weeks, the discomfort for several months. I had the procedure done twice in a week. The slugs were inserted high up but slowly worked their way down my nose (but not as intense of a burn) for about 4 months. It was very strange.

This procedure is not fun. But it WILL get better in time - as in several months.

• Posted

Hi Gewb

Thank you for your suggestion and reassurance that it will get better - eventually!

You don't mention if your nose was blocked up as I find this the worst part of it all, was yours blocked and if so, for how long? The dripping is bad enough as I can't sleep for any length of time before it drips over my face and wakes me up but the blocked nose gives me panic attacks as I feel I am suffocating. I just hope to goodness I don't catch a cold.

Thank you again for your advice.

• Posted

My nose did block up and run at the same time (sounds odd, doesn't it).

I took the Equate brand (Walmart) of Afrin Nasal Spray for the congestion and my doc has me take ipratropium bromide nasal spray (0.03%) for the dripping.

I know about the feeling of suffocating as I have a similar condition today, not related to the cauterization. I go for a sleep study test this week as a camera/scope didn't find anything.

• Posted

That is exactly what my nose is like, it is totally blocked and dripping. The dripping is slightly better today but i do hope the nose unblocks itself soon, i am trying to blow it gently to see if that helps. Thank you for the suggestions, I had wondered if a nasal spray would help so i will see what i can find at the local pharmacy.

The feeling of suffocation is quite frightening so i hope your test goes well and stops it happening to you. The way i controlled it was by consciously concentrating on my breathing, through the mouth at the moment, and mentally convincing myself i wasn't suffocating. Maybe your subconscious is worried in case the nose bleed starts again?

Thanks again.

• Posted

My feeling of suffocating isn't related to the cauterization or at least my doc didn't find a correlation. My blockage is an instantaneous closing of the air passage from the nose and happens mostly at night - it wakes me in a mild panic. But I change position and I'm fine.

For your sinus conjestion you could also try products like Benadryl.

• Posted

I just wondered if it could be psychosomatic and in your sleep the body is perhaps remembering the trauma of the nose bleed and how it affected you afterwards, the mind can play strange tricks on us sometimes. However i am not medical so i hope your test gives you the answers and what to do to stop it happening as it must be frightening in the night.

I will try the Benadryl thank you.

• Posted

No, I can make the condition trigger any time of day if I get my head and body into the position. Move two inches and it goes away.

• Posted

That's very interesting, good luck with the tests.

Thank you for your help and advice, you have calmed me down and I'm now prepared to wait for the scabs to drop off, with help from the spray hopefully, but I really hope it won't last for too long as I am an impatient patient and would like to get back to normal breathing soon!

• Posted

Hi Lena. Sorry I havent picked up your thread before. I have posted before a few times as I have regular nose bleeds and this has gone on for over 30 years. I am now 68 and - you are right - it does make you panic. GPs could not care less and as for A & E that`s a waste of time too. I have to have a cauterisation every 2 years and I go private costing (in 2018) 240.00. The silver nitrate causes blocked nose, rhinitis, and in my case blood streaked sinusitis & catarrh. A totally new guy did my "operation" this time and he maintained that the right nostril would bleed again several times in the next 3 months before it would settle down.

He was dead right. It bled the next day & the next & the next This had never happened before and I have had almost 15 cauterisations with different people and it NEVER bled straight after the op. Does this mean the latest op may be a success after all this time???

This ENT guy did say that it takes 8-12 weeks for everything to settle down and once again he was right.

I do suffer from hay fever. I sneeze through my mouth not through my nose. I do not blow it at all. I limit the alcohol and try not to let the nostril dry out. Hope you recover soon.

• Posted

Hi Chris

Thank you for your comments, I hadn't had any nose bleeds since I was a child and then had 3 within 8 days. The first 2 I controlled and stopped by myself but the last one was very profuse and was like a tap that couldn't be turned off and ended up with me in an ambulance after nurses and doctors at my GP's practice couldn't stop it and neither could the paramedics.

I am pleased to say that 15 days after the event my nose has stopped its regular dripping and now just lets out a drip every so often which I can cope with but my nostril is still very blocked. I have tried a spray and gently blowing it but so far nothing has made any difference. The pharmacist suggested steaming it but I haven't tried that yet. Did yours become unblocked after 8-12 weeks and did you do anything to help to clear it or did you just wait?

I sympathise with you having regular nose bleeds, one was enough for me, I do hope I don't get any more! At hospital I asked what had caused it and they said my blood tests showed I had an infection of some sort and suggested that may have caused the bleed.

• Posted

Hi Lena. My mum always suffered from bad sinusitis & catarrh. I suppose thats why I have always got it. It doesnt take much to make my nose bleed even after cauterisation. Hay fever drives me up the wall and I sometimes cannot breathe through one side of my nose before I go to bed. I asked my GP for something ( whilst mentioning nosebleeds) and she gave me Nasonex which I left in the cupboard because a side effect is NOSEBLEEDS. GPs dont take them seriously. I paid 240.00 last July for a cautery so I dont want something to destroy that action because I am a pensioner and cant really afford it.

Steaming might start another nosebleed by the way. Great for the blocked nose. Back in 2011 I was advised no hot baths or showers and they were right. I hope you go on alright as you are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Chris, you have been through it with all those nose bleeds. I'm really hoping that I don't get another one as I found the whole experience absolutely dreadful. When you tell anyone what has happened, they don't think it's much to be bothered about as to them it's 'just a nose bleed' but to us who have had one, the treatment that goes with it and the aftermath of the constant dripping, the blocked nose and the feeling of suffocation it is so much more. I'm sure it was an actual rhino they put up my nose, not a rhino blow-up pack!

I didn't have to steam it as I had a huge clot/scab come down today and I can breathe again - yeay! There is more to come but I'm not going to rush it as I don't want another bleed.

I hope you don't get any more bleeds and everything goes well for you.

Thank you for your advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.