Nasal cauterisation issues

Posted , 34 users are following.

Yesterday I had nasal cautery for recurrent nosebleeds. I wasn't told about the ache/pain I would get afterwards in my teeth and jawbone, nor about the continous dripping from my nostril. It's still there today over 24 hours later. I think it was the anaesthetic that has caused this by somehow affecting the nerves of the face and teeth. Does anyone know what anaesthetic they would have used? Has anyone had similar problems after cautery? How long can I expect these issues to last? Also, to top things off, I had no aftercare advice!

1 like, 71 replies

71 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, similar pain. My upper teeth and jaw pain after procedure of cauterisation of Left Nostril. It has been five days and still paining.

• Posted

Hi roger don't worry about it, it usually takes between a few days to a week for the side affects to stop I know that feeling very well as I have had my nose cauterized 17 times in my life as I suffer from extremely heavy,severe hourly nosebleeds averaging at about 18/19 a day since I was 2 months old (I just turned 15) and next week I'm going to have hopefully life changing surgery to stop them for good .So I feel dizzy/light headed and the constant taste of blood in my mouth and living off of 4/5 hours of sleep a night due to either being woken up by individual ones or just being kept up after continuous ones.I'm really hoping it works as I've had to do my exams with a tissue to my face and I have my GCSE s next year.

• Posted

what was your lifesaving surgery i hope it worked id like to know because im old but get horrible nosebleeds & had many different surgeries so if it helped i wish u could write on the forum what is was

• Posted

hi I had my nose packed with a balloon 3 weeks ago and my nose couterized 3 weeks ago too . does anyone on here still suffer with old blood draining down back of throat and trouble breathing.

• Edited

So glad I found this thread! Had my right nostril cauterized this afternoon. Was told it wouldn't hurt, just maybe a little bit sore tonight. After the numbing wore off tonight, yes my nose is sore, but holy cow, my teeth!! My front teeth hurt so bad and Tylenol has not phased it. 😦 My nose is also running/dripping continuously. Guess it's better than a random, gushing nosebleed.

• Edited

ive had everything done for nosebleeds including cauterizations & nothing helps my nosebleeds still comes back i have ptsd from it i wish i had someone who felt like me & i could talk to them but the cauterizations didnt help me yet had one today i wouldnt mind the pain if it helped it just never does

• Edited

i have ptsd from it as well Elissa.

Very traumatized from the gushers that wouldn't stop. 3 cauterizations,, 4 ER visits. i miss my beautiful life. Reach out anytime!

• Posted

I just had my cauterization on Friday after dealing with nosebleeds for over a week. My nose is sore, and my teeth on top from the middle to the left hurt. It feels like sinus pain. It's an aching sometimes throbbing pain in my teeth. Tylenol does nothing for pain. I'm also on antibiotics because I was feeling like I had a sinus infection right after the first nosebleed. I'm 55 and that was the first time I've ever experienced a nosebleed and first cauterization also. I feel groggy and off balance which has gotten worse since the procedure. I'm assuming this is all normal. Hopefully this teeth pain doesn't last for 10 days like some others have posted here. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

• Posted

Feel bad for you. This is why I started this thread. I wasn't pre-warned or given any leaflet information by ENT. The pain was very bad (and had to get my GP to prescribe very strong pain killers). Felt rough for approx 7 - 10 days. It does eventually wear off, but I personally feel that it's a barbaric procedure and ENT doesn't appear to acknowledge the problems that people experience afterwards! Good luck and hope it doesn't last too long for you!

• Posted

I am happy I found this resource. I have had two episodes of nosebleeds that last at least an hour over a two week period. We thought maybe a seasonal problem. But they are very heavy and scary.

My GP said not to worry. Not much they could do. But he said I could get an appointment with an ENT, with probably a year waiting list. But they called after a week and I had an appointment within a month.

I was not expecting any procedure but the doctor looked way up in my nose and said it was not a tumor but he saw a blood vessel in my right nostril that could be the culprit and said he could cauterize it. I agreed.

He froze my nose and said I should wipe it as the silver nitrate stains and not to blow it. Use the antibiotics for a week, use vaseline daily and a nasal spray. I drove to the pharmacy and as I was waiting noticed my nose was dripping clear mucus. Which was uncomfortable as it is still COVID-19, I was wearing a mask and I was very uncomfortable removing it to wipe. I didn't want people to think I was sick.

I went home. My nostril was completely stained grey. I had a very bad sleep the night before so I thought that was also why I was feeling so bad. The freezing started to come out and I realized how sore my nose was. I laid down and tried to sleep a bit. After a few hours with some sneezing fits, I wondered if I had caught COVID at the office.

I called the front staff and she didn't speak English well (I live in Quebec so it is French here). She said I should get tested for COVID if those are my symptoms. She said I would feel a tingle in my nose but said I should not have a runny nose from the procedure. So then I am researching quarantine and testing and what I should do next. That is when I researched and found this page. I feel better reading and hearing all of your experiences, except I am pretty upset to know I shouldn't exercise while this is healing. It is the beginning of our summer and we have plans and this seems like it is going to be a bigger issue than I thought. There was not after care instructions explaining this.

My teeth hurt a little. I have a bit of a headache. My nose hurts quite a bit. But the dripping is what is really annoying. But at least I think this is all related to the nose cauterization and not me catching COVID.

• Posted

I am so glad I googled patient input instead of medical advice for post-cauterization care! I had cauterization to a major vessel in my left nostril five days ago and knew it would "sting." OMG. My eyes watered, an expletive leapt from my lips and home I went with no written instructions. I was so discombobulated from the pain that I forgot what day I should start using my saline spray. I had no idea I'd experience headaches afterward. To your point, there is no literature regarding this horrible, albeit assumed necessary, procedure.

So...I return to work unable to concentrate on very much--this is a Thursday--and sleeping was not an option that night. I was told to expect a runny nose but night #1 was mouth-breathing 100%. I kept drinking ice water all night long. Friday back at the keyboard at work and was not fully engaged either. I was not surprised at the facial pain but my head had pressure/pain and I even experienced a slight chill like I was coming down with something. (I had just tested negative for COVID.) My weekend was spent curled up in a recliner, where I also slept to keep upright just in case. While things improved a bit with each day, it wasn't until Monday when I felt safe taking a shower (warm not hot) and joining the ranks of the living. Still slightly stuffy head but no real pain.

I am so afraid that the bleeding will start again that I'm doing no housework for a full 4 weeks and bending from the waist is out of the question. Using a grabber to pick up my pets' food bowls and my husband---who I'm sure thinks I'm milking this---lends a hand. I'm in NE Florida so I'm staying out of the afternoon heat too. ENT wanted to see me in two weeks but when I asked for allergy testing he moved it out to four weeks (I guess to give me time to test? Results don't take long.) So I'm really on my guard.

I never had nosebleeds until this summer and it went on for almost two months almost every day. It got to where I carried around a plastic clip used to hold up temporary paper window blinds to pinch my nose and keep me hands-free! Go ahead and laugh, I did, until I had to deliver a client status report with one in place. They must have thought I had a very bad cold! I feel for you guys who have constant bleeds.

• Posted

I had one done three days ago and had the exact same experience. This is the third time I have had a cauterization and the worse experience I have had. I am using OTC pain meds every four hours and they are not keeping the pain in my teeth and jaw under control. I will never have this procedure done again.

• Edited

I have had a whirlwind of a time with my septoplasty/ sinuplasty and this forum was instrumental in giving me hope through the recovery process. 9 days in out of Cautery I'm finally feeling relatively normal (still on medication but hope to stop it in a couple days), but for a fill week I was in absolute pain. Here's my experience:

After 3 weeks of a routine septoplasty/ sinuplasty I had a gushing nose bleed that needed to be cauterized. A day later after cautery it bleed again so much that I needed to be put into the ICU and given 2.5 units of blood. They decided to also do a embolization under anesthesia to stop the blood vessel at the source.

After I went home my pain was unbearable, 100% from the nerves. It was in my nasal space, the roof of my mouth, my tounge, and even my teeth. The ENT prescribed Tremedol but it wasn't enough so I went on Hydrocodone. I still would wake up every 2-3 hours for 6 days with shooting pain. It was unbearable, and I resorted to overusing tylenol to lessen the pain to not overuse the Hydrocodone.

My ENT wasn't helping much with nerve based pain management so I finally talked to a Neurologist who prescribed Lyrica (his other choice was Gabapentin) which I started on day 6. I'm not sure how much it hass been helping but it definitely co-incided when I started to feel some relief). He also suggested a a steriod (Dexamethesone) to go with the Lyrica but I decided to hold off to see if I would get better withouh it. Pretty soon after Lyrica I started to feel better. I also noticed I taking a regular Advil as an anti-inflammatory worked infinitely better for me than Tylenol and would last for 5-6 hours vs 2 (even for extra stength). I also learned that Tramadol offers a 24 hour extended release that would allow me to sleep much better and I just switched to that (with Advil as my backup in case of pain).

Basically the nerve pain risk is more than real but based on my experience it starts to go away after about 7-8 days. Also, the right medication is critical (particuarly at night) and I've found more success with lyrica, steriod, advil, and extended release tramadol.

I hope this helps. I will post more in a couple days when I hope to be 100% off all medication and feeling a pain level of 0 throughout.

• Edited

Also when I was in dire pain I used Tiger Balm on my face (numbed the area), Benzocaine sprays for the mouth, and even bought a couple numbing oral gels that i would put on my teeth. I wish I were given the Lyrica and 24 hour Tramadol much more in advance - I think it would have made a huge difference. I also wish I knew advil would work so much better than Tylenol (I know there is some risk of blood thinning causing more bleeding however). I took the advil very sparingly (200mg, 1-2 times a day).

• Posted

Oh man i just got my nose cauterized a few days ago and while my nose does hurt, it's the teeth pain that's unbearable. i called my doctor to see about getting a stronger painkiller prescribed but no luck. he said it'd probably last another few days but a lot of people are saying 10 or so days and I'm already suffering at day 3. i also went into this kinda blind. i only went to an ent to get my nose looked at. i wasn't expecting him to cauterize it right then and there. and like others said, no warning of the symptoms. just told to use the ointment and take tylenol

and while it sucks that y'all experienced the same pain, it is nice to see a proper discussion that actually voices the tooth pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.