Nasal Endoscopy vs Gastroscopy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone had any of these procedures, or if you've had both which would you say was the best?  I am due to have a Gastroscopy in a couple of weeks but I am not sure to try and have a nasal one done instead as I am worried about breathing, panicing, gagging etc!  I'd rather have more pain then the breakting/gagging issues!

Thank you!

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I've had both. Had an endoscope yesterday under sedation and I dint feel a thing. Don't Remeber any of it either just coming too afterwards.

ENT did one down the nose and its unpleasant but bearable and you remember everything.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for replying.  That is reassuring and I will be opting for sedation and hoping that I am out for most of it too.  Thanks, Amanda.

• Posted

Hi

I had an endoscopy last week. I just had the spay in my mouth..tasted liked banana covered in whisky! Anyway, it was completely painless. The negative about the procedure is that you may gag a couple of times. The positive is that you can drive home 45 minutes later after you can swallow ok. I had to drive myself to hospital so there really wasn't the choice of a general anaesthetic.

good luck

cheers Sean

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for replying.  I am just dreading it, fearing the gagging and don't want to panic and make it all worse.  Was you able to breath easily through the mouth guard and when the tube is down?  How long did the procedure last?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Amanda

I think the Drs told me to breathe through my nose but in the end I breathed through my mouth. I gagged about 3 times each one not lasting more than 3 seconds. Don't worry about the procedure, it's really over quickly, and I think with gagging the best is to try and keep calm and not panick. I'm not sure where you are but I had mine done at Sprinfield Hospital in Chelmsford (Dr Shah) who was really good. The only downside, is that I've got Barretts oesophagus and will probably need surveillance at least every 2 years i.e more endoscopies. The worst of it all is no chocolate, alcohol, caffeine and a low fat diet. That sucks!

• Posted

Hi, that is good that you were able to breath through your mouth too as that is what was making me nervous and putting me off.  I have also been told it doesn't last long so hope it is nice and quick!  I am having mine done in a private hospital in Rochdale, great Manchester so quite far from you.  I am sorry to hear that you have got Barretts, hope that you will be ok.  That does suck but if it helps to make you better.  If it makes you feel any better I haven't had any solid food for the last 6 weeks and been following liquid diet due to the feeling of a lump in my throat and also have had no goodies, chocolate or alcohol for nearly 3 months now!  The weight loss results have been great though ha, ha!  Take care and keep in touch.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi, did you get a nutrition bullet, apparently there good. Went into prets today for a boring chamomile tea and was envious of all the people drinking cappuccinos and eating croissants.  Good luck anyway and I hope your results are good news.

cheers Sean

• Posted

Hi Sean,

I have never heard of a nutrition bullet, what are they?

Thanks,

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi

it's basically a blender that's meant to be really good for smoothies, juicing (I think), Argos, Amazon and Lakeland sell them

I ended up buying a Vitamix because I was mainly making soups. A friend of mine has the nutribullet and loves it

cheers

Sean

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi

you'll receive a double reply as my previous message contained a link and is being moderated!

basically, a nutribullet is a mini blender that makes smoothies of fruit and veg. Most places sell them...Amazon, Lakeland, Argos.

cheers Sean

• Posted

Hi  Sean,

Oh many thanks for that.  I shall have a look into it as I am mainly on liquids a the moment until I have tests done to see what is going on!  Thanks for your help.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hope it goes ok for you. I had it done and now it turns out I have a  gallstone causing my problems and have to make up my mind in a few weeks wether to have my gallbladder out.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

• Posted

Hi Anita,

Thanks very much.  I though you problem might be gallstones with the pains that you are having.  I would have it done if I was you.  I had terrible pains about 8 years ago for months and had the operation by keyhole to remove my gallbladder and it was the best thing I've ever done I could eat properly afterwards and no pain at all and was only in hospital overnight.  Its just this problem now that I need to get sorted out!

Thanks again and I will be in touch.

• Posted

Do you still have to stick to a low fat diet or can you sneak in the odd treat without any problems. Some people have problems with acid after they have their gallbladder out. Is your problem related to having it out at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.