Nasal Endoscopy vs Gastroscopy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

Has anyone had any of these procedures, or if you've had both which would you say was the best?  I am due to have a Gastroscopy in a couple of weeks but I am not sure to try and have a nasal one done instead as I am worried about breathing, panicing, gagging etc!  I'd rather have more pain then the breakting/gagging issues!

Thank you!

3 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Both of my endoscopy were done privately and you will have a great experience. When they are ready for you they get you to walk to the endoscopy suite. As you enter its like going to the doctors, the equipment is out of the way so you won't see it. They sit you on the bed, spray your throat, get you to lie down, give you the sedation and that is it!!!

You wake up about 20mins or so later and its like waking up from a sleep. No gagging, no memory, no nothing, its wonderful. Which is why I was very relaxed when I had it done the second time. Afterwards I was fine, and eventually they gave me something to eat which was nice and I went home and rested, but felt fine.

This time I had a ph monitoring device left inside and was given a wireless transmitter to wear for 48hrs to monitor my acid levels and I didn't feel anything from that either.

Its natural to worry but from my experiences the gagging comes when people don't have sedation. I think the NHS prefer the non sedation route because its quicker which is why you hear so many gagging stories

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for that, that is eassuring.  I was supposed to have one done with the NHS a few weeks ago but when I got into the room they wouldn'st sedate me so I just paniced and wasn't able to go through with it!  Hence going private this time for a better experience and less waiting time!  I am hoping that they will sedate me before going into the room but I will check this nearer the time as that is the point where my nerves set in!  I might see if there is anything I can take from over the counter just to take the edge off before I go in and won't affect the sedation.

Many thanks for your help and advice.

Amanda.

• Posted

Hi Wknight

do you have a silent reflux? It's what I have and just wondered if that's the reason for ph monitoring. I'm sticking to a low fat diet but sometimes I wished I had the classic GERD signs to tell me that what I'm eating is on the food trigger list as I have no idea at the moment. So I'm having to play it completely safe with foods.

cheers

Sean.

• Posted

Don't bother with over the counter stuff , what they have to give you will work far better. Are you not seeing the consultant before the procedure? They give you the choice but when I say I would like sedation, they look relieved as its makes their job so much easier and they are not in a rush as they are with the NHS. Seriously RELAX!!!!!  With sedation you will kick yourself afterwards as to why you were so worried. It hurts more taking a splinter out....
  • Posted

I have had ph monitoring twice. The first time was when I was initially diagnosed to determine just how much acid reflux was occurring. Last year I had it done again, this time with a wireless device which was very nice, because we thought the pain I was suffering was caused by the medication not working. The monitoring showed that the medication was keeping the reflux under control so the pain was coming from somewhere else.
  • Posted

Hi Amanda,

I guess everyone is different, I had an endoscopy, under sedation - which makes you actually amnesic of the moment - but can remember that it was a nightmare, I could not stop gagging and I remember the nurse catching my hand because I wanted to grab the tube and take the camera out!

Then i had a Phmetry and manometry of my oesophagus where the wire goes through your nose, without any sedation, I was dreading before hand but it actually went so well! Just some pain in my nose when inserting the wire, but otherwise no gagging, or anything. One advice that the physiologist gave me if you go through your nose, you have to swallow water at the same time, when you can feel the wire in your throat, just imagine you are swallowing a tablet with the water! It worked for me at least...

With either option I think it depends on the person, but anyway I wish you good luck because it's never nice to have this kind of invasive procedures!

• Posted

Hi, my name is Nancy,

I've had at least 5 Colonoscopys in the past. But now; for about a year; I've had severe acid reflux, severe coughing and trouble with food getting caught between my esophagus and my stomach. This past Jan. I had to have a camera put down my esophagus and all the way to my stomach and small intestines. 

It was scary for me because I also have bad gagging reflux. So, I was really scared. As soon as she put the camera down my throat she found my throat immediately started bleeding. She put me on 1GM Salcrafate for 4 months. Their horse tablets and I had to take 4 a day and broke them up in fourths and I could still hardly swallow with a hot drink. Then she recommended another Gastroenderologist who put something down my throat to look around and said he would have to refer me to another Gastroenderologist. So, I was recommended to Dr. Mougey in Medford, OR. He is doing an Upper Endoscopy with a tumor in a Camera all the way to my stomach where I know I have at least 3 old ulcers. Then he is putting a tube down my nose into my stomach and leaving it there for 24hrs. Has anyone had this done. I'm quite afraid of that because of my very scratch throat and I have severe dry mouth disease which is medically known as Sjogrins Syndrom. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.