Natural Help for Silent Acid Reflux Coughing

Posted , 4 users are following.

The symptom I get is coughing, coughing over and over all night sometimes where you cannot lay down or get to sleep or do anything. But if I take any of the medications - which are all basically the same thing with same side effects - the side effects are far worse! Pains in head, ears, forehead, face, lower back, all over body, easily tired, blocked ear etc.

I have tried bicarbonate of soda and this helps but eventually after a month or so it cannot hold the coughing at bay anymore.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did toy try not eating 3-4 hours before bed and not drinking anything 3 hours before?

i also had terrible coughing at night when I was taking dexilant and when I changed medication to omeprazol it became much better. I also dieting and do not eat or drink few hours before I go to bed. Later I started taking pantoprazol 40 mg twice a day and cough  went away. What medication did you try? 

• Posted

Tried cimitridine and worked sway through the other ppis. It is alwsays the same. Start off okand then get bad headaches, bad cough, pain in face head and ears, migraines etc. worse than problem. Trying to cope with it through bicarbonate of soda as dont get the awful side effects if take a small amount.
  • Posted

I am no a doctor and do not know what to do with such side effects. What did doctors say about that? 

Please try not eating and drinking as I do 3 hours before bed time.

What about simple medications like milanta, tum. Pepsid. I am not sure about correct spelling. As I understand, coughing happens because stuff from the stomach goes back and gets into your throat and lungs. You need to keep acid down and empty stomach at night. Do you have cough during the day? 

I had it only at night and morning. I still have clearing throat at night and morning but no cough so far. Also dieting is very important. Some people do not believe in it but it helps. 

• Posted

Hi Carmel- awe! I have suffered with this awful coughing it agrivating annoying and very embarrassing especially if you out and maybe had a meal with friends after eating my coughing was horrid - I coughed until I bought up horrible mucas it was uncontrollable.

i have managed to calm mine by cutting out the horrible ppi due to the side effects just made me even more miserable. 

I have gone on an alkaline diet - get a list off the net of alkaline foods which help dilute the acid, and this foods which are acidic and create more acid - you will find it very surprising - banans for instance create acute as do oats and drinks which are not decaf instead.

i graze at eating and never eat after 6.30 - I drink water whic is high in PH 8.8 any under a ph 7.7 can aggravate acid where as the higher the PH the more it can help with the coughing and sore moth throat and hoarse voice( I get mine in Tesco 99p for 5 ltrs but only certain branches stock it 

I eat almonds daily to dilute the acid as I does a glass of water with natural lemon juice these things dilute your stomach acids - check out on the net, in use soya milk and cut down on diary 

these are just a few things whic have helped me , stress is a big thing that aggravates the condition, I listen to hypnotic tracks of music for calm 

good luck I hope these tips may help you good luck 

• Posted

Hi There. Interesting and thanks. The ppis were making me far worse, they made the cough much worse and non stop all day, and

gave me pains in head, ears, face, arms legs and made me tired. So will not take them. Am taking some acv but find they can give me a bad stomach so dont take much. Plus bicarbonate of soda in water, but again if I take more than a pinch it gives me a bad cough etc. Am looking into the acid alkaline diet but different sites and books say different things are acid or alikaline. Please tell me which water you buy.

• Posted

Hi, I was on lansoprazole gor years, but thought it was making me depressed, and put my cholesterol up so stopped taking it, tried treating with acv instead, seemed ok fir couple of months but then, started again, sore cracks in corner of mouth where acid in saliva burns, burning throat, blocked sinuses, stiff neck, chest pains, bubbling stomach, then bad pain in lung left side out of the blue, then a solute breathlessness, been doing all this for 12 weeks, ended up in ae with it,    Had to have breathing tests said they thought ashma gave inhalers, still got all this, been taking ranitadine, but nit strong enough, I am convinced all of this is being caused by my acid reflux and sliding hiatal hernia, been in absolute tears every sheer aches my neck shoulders even my kegs now, just started on gaviscon tonight to see if it helps breathing and acid burning throat , so sorry so many people suffer with this,  and soo young some of you too x
    • Posted

Hope you are feeling better now?> I got blocked sinus, blockedd ears and the cough and some pains chest. My doctors were all clueless.

For example if you get a cough they sayh take cough syrup!!

I had to research it and found out it was probably silent acid reflux, which I had never heard of berfore. Tried all of the ppis and pp2s and they gave me awful side effects so now taking bicarbonate of soda.

Just a pinch every six hours makes it ok. If I take more I get breathless and cough too much. It also took away myaches and pains.

• Posted

Just been to the doctors, just given me lansoprazole and gaviscon, so back on it all again, I am hoping it will stop this breathing issue, all others tests are clear  can't think what else it could be so fingers crossed, I never realized the a id could actually get round your body like that and literally upset everything basically, the pains are awful, how on earth does it get into your neck and sinuses, evil stuff, I am sure your right Carmel I think it's the acid got into the left lung or burnt it or something g, feels lime I am breathing through thick cotton wool, I can't take bicarbonate like that it makes my blood pressure rocket, that would be all I need right now, defo lime I have been run over by a bus and squashed lol, thankyou for sharing your symptons with me, it's strange isn't it, as soon as you knows someone else has same things it's so reassuring, in the middle of the night, when things feel twice as bad I now know I am not alone with these symptons so thankyou so much, glad your not suffering any more and found a cure xx
    • Posted

It is like russian roulette isnt it, trying to work out what to do and not to do and the knock on effects of each. For what it is worth the high blood pressure could easily be sorted by taking garlic and/or plant sterols and as far as I am concerned that is far easier and more practical than changing my diet - especiallyas I go out for meals a lot and am usually eating with my partner and cooking for the two of us. Anyway I do like my food.

I dont want to turn into one of those people who spend all day thnikning about it and preparing their things or testing this and that as if it is a full time job and there is nothing else in life. If it is a good idea to drink alkaline water then it must be cheaper to get the filters and/or make your own than buying it anyway.

• Posted

Bythe way Gwend. A lot of people say take half a teaspoon of bicarb but I just take a small pinch and that works better for me than a bigger amount, whbich makes my cough worse and gives me troubles with breathing.

It could be that when you restrict the acid TOO MUCH that is what causes the wheezing or breathing problems whether you do it through medication or a natural means as I had it happen with both. I am still not right

but am a lot better, lkets hope you get better soon too. YOu can always drop me a line if you want to.

• Posted

Thanks Carmel your kind,  I am but like you I don't want to have to eat differently or make lifestyle changes, but just been told I must not lift heavy things or overdo things which I do tend to do,....I did come off all this pills, tried the apple cider vinegar option, but I have ended up like this so I obviously do need to have the meds, for the hiatus hernia and acid, I am disappointed by that I like to solve things my self but, I can't bare not being able to breath properly it's so disabling, not ready to sit and knit just yet, I will let you know in couple of days if it has helped to go back on meds,  when I read that children have to take these things it makes me feel bit silly to try and not have them , here for you too Carmel if you need a chat about anything x
    • Posted

There are other things that are matural that might help. Acv is just one of them, bicarb is popular but there are about ten other things. I am researching into natural ways to strength the splincter in the stomach and will maybe try that. Some try this and that until they find the rigtht one. So please dont think that if acv didnt work you have to go on the meds. Personally - and it is different for us all - I will never go back on the meds as no matter which one I took I alwsays ended up feeling very ill from them. Others are fine on them. But I would suggest you take some extra calcium or magnesium or a multi vitamin because they deplete the vitamins and minerals in your system and also some live yoghurt regularly or some biotics because they can knock out your good bacteria. Then that way so long as you dont have bad side effects they are not doing you any real harm. A year ago I had ibs badly and the doctors were clueless but I cured myself with biotics. Not being able to breath must be awful and scary. And you should not have to live like a disabled person. Good luck with your meds, will be thinking of you with fingers crossed.
    • Posted

By the way. When I first had this I could not bend down, if I bent forward I could feel it all coming up into my head and ears. And I would cough a lot during the day. Gradually that coughing was a t night and less in the day and could bend forwards with no problem. Yet had no taken any medication or natural things yet then. Maybe taking are of yourself and a healthy diet works anyway - at least up to a point. The idea of laying on a bed with my head up is urgh. I put three pillows under my head but I find it hard to sleep and not keep waking anyway without fidgeting about with this system even more.

I think you will find that anyone who has found something that works for them will tend to be quite bossy about how their way is the way. Forgetting that there are many other ways that might work for you. If someone tries to advise me I listen and I appreciate them taking the time but I find they very often do not allow for this!! I went onto another website where people were talking about different natural things they had taken for reflux and they were all speaking about their way being the way. Some came up with the most ridiculous impractical and expensive things you can think of. To me changing my diet is totally impractical as I love my food, it is a passion, and I eat with my partner and we eat out a lot. I am not going to sit there eating a bit of lettuce while he tucks into a delicious dinner.

Likewise if you get the idea of drinking special alkaline water going to the sho for it is time consuming and maybe impractical (I dont drive) and costly. Makes more sense to make your own or filter normal water., changing it into alkaline but doing it yourself makes it far cheaper and saves you going to and from shop and carrying such heavy things.

• Posted

Thanks again Carmel it is great to have this mutual support it's scarey when your poorly you feel so alone, especially when doctors treat you like numbers not like a person, with feelings and emotions, I just pointed out t mine that without ill people wh wouldn't have a job at all...just no empathy from them at all, and if you have any slight case of anxiety or stress on your notes then it's their cop out all the time, makes me sick, trying point out that I am depressed because I am fed up with all these pains and nothing else after three months of it, I would think would be expected really..but I have to say I have now had two lanzoprZoke and sux spoons of gaviscon since last night, and I have only had to use inhaler once today, and feel almost quite human, and my neck pain is going pains in my chest and shoulders. Whoop whoop......I absolutely hate pills they laugh at me at docs, they wonder why I go as I never take their pills for anything unless anti biotics, I just like to know what I am trying to deal with, but can't go on this time as pains and breathing been too much for me, and my family bless them, anything is better than last 12 weeks if such pain and breathless ness, x keep in touch hope your calms right down soon x
    • Posted

Hi Gwend. Yes I know what you mean. My doctor gets exasperated with me because I research things and tell him he is wrong. He originally diagnosed me with sinus and so did the second doctor but I pointed out how odd it was that every time we cleared it up then a month or so later it came back again and there had to be a cause. Nah they said. So I researched and found it was silent acid reflux and insisted they listen. In the meantime doing more with this and that until eventually he reluctantly said yes you are right and I was wrong. But when the ppis and pp2s give me horrid side effects their response is as though it is your fault and you are being difficult. Then they try to switch you to anohter one - despite it having exactlyh the same side effects ! What is the point of that? Just putting off yo utelling them the same thing again and in the meantime you are more ill. do be careful with antibiotics gwend. If you need to take them fine but then do have livel yhoghurt or biotis at the same time. As a lot of illness can be caused by having insufficient of the good bacteria in the gut and the antibiotics kill the good bacteria with the bad. It is a bit like throwing weed killer all over the garden and losing the flowers along with the weeds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.