Natural Void

Posted , 12 users are following.

I would love to know if anyone on this forum besides jimjames gets a natural void after doing CIC,and had complete urine retention? Even a small amount of natural void? This information would be a big hope for all who do CIC.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, Frank, I fall into that category, and I must say all credit due to JimJames who inspired me! It is a slow process but I am now on an average of 50/50 between natural void and catheter assisted for a total void of 400 - 550 ml. I CIC three times a day, sometimes four if my bladder has filled enough. I must point out that I have experienced total retention very rarely and only when provoked by eating really hot (spicy) food. Last time required a visit to the ER, where they had to cath me and got 800 ml out of me. My urodynamic "total fill", about three years ago, was 702 ml.

Frank, I hope this is helpful to you, but if you have more questions please feel free to contact me (use the PM feature if you are "off topic").

Warm regards, alan86734.

• Posted

Alan,

Can you explain your rational for not doing something more radical but minimally invasive, like PAE or Resum, or water ablation, while going for inconvenience and expense of CIC three times per day and dealing catheters in your pocket all day long? I had only a couple of acute retentions due to the surgery and drinking too much alcohol, but found CIC painful, causing bleeding, leading to UTI and possible stricture of the urethra and damaging the prostate an bladder neck, possibly the bladder wall. Why to go to such extent if a wide choice of reliable and affordable (or insurance covered services) exist.

• Posted

No, arlington, I'm clear in that respect. Regards alan86734.

• Posted

Hi Gene, my catheters do not cost me anything - as simple as that!

Warm regards and hope that you can resolve your urinary issues satisfactorily. alan86734.

• Posted

Hi Allen,

I resolve them 14 month ago through PAE performed by Dr. Picel at UCSD. he is currently a Stanford Medical School. Like 40 years ago. no nocturia, 3 -4 times per day easy voids. with good stream. usegto bleed with retention, prostate 125g with huge median lobe and bladder neck obstruction. Happy CICing

• Posted

I had several years of struggling to pee and chronic retention. To cut a very long story short i had a permanent catheter attached for three weeks and them CIC for several months. Incrediby for whatever reason i began to pee so much better , from an average of 3 ( i cant remember the units used) to 12. I Also no longer have retention and only CiC now if i have a serious amount of beer !

• Posted

No not as far as im aware . i was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis plus bladder neck obstruction. Urologist recommended bladder neck incision but as i say, after CiC the issue resolved and i cancelled the surgery. Urologist was surprised and did another video urodynamics study which was fine , everything back to normal and very different to the previous one.

• Posted

I think the bladder neck obstruction is often due to an enlarged median lobe. Many procedures are not as successful when one has an enlarged median lobe.

Best of luck!

• Posted

IIRC he had some medical issues that sent him back into retention, maybe that's why he opted for PAE. I think he's been here more recently than that - IPMd him and haven't heard back.

• Posted

kenneth1955 posted months ago that Jim was having heart issues.

• Posted

I don't pay for catheters either, nor do I find CIC an inconvenience. I schedule my trips to the bathroom, and they are much less frequent since I started CIC. In addition, I don't get up in the middle of the night anymore, and I don't leak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.