Natural Void

Posted , 12 users are following.

I would love to know if anyone on this forum besides jimjames gets a natural void after doing CIC,and had complete urine retention? Even a small amount of natural void? This information would be a big hope for all who do CIC.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are folks who have reported they regained the ability to void naturally after doing CIC. I am not one of them yet. I have been doing it for 22 months. I was retaining 1.5L before I started. I do get the urge now with much less in the bladder, but no flow yet. CIC is much better than what I was experiencing before I started.

• Posted

PM, Did you have natural void before you started CIC ?

• Posted

Before CIC, I had frequent urges to urinate, and I would void about half a urine sample cup each time but was still retaining 1.5L in my bladder. I would get up several times at night and sometimes would go three times in an hour during the day. It would take a minute or more to get that half cup once the flow (or dribble) started.

• Posted

Ask your doctor for a prescription for a diuretic. I have been on it for a number of years and it helps with a good flow after having full retention. There may be some who dispute this but they have not discussed this with their doctor. Beware of herbals and supplements that are unregulated because they do nothing.

• Posted

My doctor called it nonsense but gave me diuretic anyway. Been taking it for months with no improvements. I read your other posts. What you had was an AUR and you had a procedure, with months of catherzization. The procedure and the catherization are what help your urinary retention, not the diuretic.

• Posted

That may be so but my daily take of the diuretic has prevented retention from recurring. If your doctor gave it to you it was not nonsense. Give it another few months. Is the inconvenience of CIC restoring it any quicker?

• Posted

My doctor gave it to me because I asked him to let me try and he's such a nice guy. CIC is not restoring it, I am now certain, but CIC will keep my kidneys healthy, until THE procedure comes along.

Thanks for suggesting

• Posted

Frank, just to clarify, you used "complete urine retention". I know you are referring to what some urological texts refer to it as "chronic complete urinary retention" or "chronic total urinary retention". The keyword is "chronic" which means that the patient has been having this condition for a while. He cannot pee much, usually not at all, without a catheter of some types.

In comparison, Acute Urinary Retention (AUR) refers to a temporary complete urine retention that can be resolved by some types of catherization, usually with a Foley, to drain the bladder. After a period of catherization, few hours or few days, the patient can pee by himself again.

People recovered from AUR all the time, but from CCUR/CTUR, I haven't heard of, without a procedure, except for Jim James.

The bladder is just a muscle and CIC is just gives it rest. The rest depends on the individual. Regarding natural voiding, for some people, CIC helps. For others, it doesn't. I've read that it even got worse for some people. Many lost their natural voiding after staring CIC.

I have been doing CIC for over 3 years and I have concluded for myself. CIC helps to control the retention but does not help my natural void. Actually, whenever I became lazy and started CICing too often, my natural voiding worsened. It makes sense since the bladder didn't get the exercise it needed so it weakened. To maintain some natural void while doing CIC does require some efforts and some management. If you don't use the muscle, you'll lose it.

• Posted

hank1953, Hi , I am referring to chronic urine retention. I have been doing CIC almost 3 years ,with no natural void. I was told I should do Turp with no guaranty I will have a NV. I didn't want Turp so i do CIC. You said you also do CIC, however you do have a NV? Did you have a procedure done?Jimjames said his urologist also wanted to do Turp,he refused and after 2 or 3 years he was blessed to get a NV.

I was concerned if anyone else on this forum got that lucky? Can you tell me how to reach jimjames?

frank,

• Posted

How do you exercise that muscle though? The heart is referred to as a muscle also. I guess you exercise it with aerobics and such.

I understand that one can push a little while doing cic and this may exercise the bladder a bit to keep it from getting lazy. But I would think draining it and not letting it get stretched any more than it already is (for some of us) at least is a good strategy at first. The girl that did my ultrasound on my bladder two years ago - this is before they figured out what was going on - said that my bladder was stretched almost up to my navel. All the feeling had gone as far as urges to urinate. I think I was miserable at some level but it wasn't an urge to pee. That is coming back. Seems like at first the nerves are overly sensitive and if I don't give in and cath right away it will go away for awhile. If I thought I was retaining over 400 ml at that point; such as if I hadn't cathed for 6 hours or something; then I'd go ahead and do it. But knowing how much I had had to drink and the last time I cathed I wouldn't give in to the urge at first. Now, the urges seem more manageable sort of like it used to be.

BTW - I haven't had a UTI in the last two years. Either I'm careful or just lucky.

• Posted

Hi Frank,

1. I do have natural void but I am struggling to keep it. I am also taking doxazosin. Without it, my natural void is little.
      2. Many if not most people that have chronic complete retention will not get back their natural void, without a procedure. I know some that did CIC for 11 years without improvements in natural voiding. CIC is actually a good thing. It allows risk aversed people like us a way to empty our bladders and protect our kidneys. Some people with more serious bladder will not get natural void, even with a procedure.
      3. The best way to get in touch with jimjames is searching one of the older threads and PM him.
      4. Your best chance of getting your natural void is with a procedure, though there is no guarantee. With your serious symptoms, I'd go for something very robust. At your age, I don't think RE is a problem. TURP is robust but too bloody, unless it's bipolar/button TURP. HoLEP is your best shot. Next would be robotic prostatectomy.
    • Posted

1. The best way to exercise your bladder muscle is to pee. Pushing it while CIC is not the same, because it's with little resistance, but it's better than nothing.
      2. Having earlier urges is generally good, as long as you can void naturally. Some one, I think it was Frank, reported having to cath 10-12 times daily because of those early urges.
      3. I haven't had a UTI since CIC, and I am not that sanitary either.
    • Posted

jimjames was a regular contributor to this site until about a year ago when he posted that he is about to undergo PAE which he selected. Following the procedure he posted that he is having problems with it and we did not hear from him for a while until some posted wondering what happened to him. He then posted that he thanked everyone for their concern and we never heard from him again. That was about 6 months ago.

• Posted

Thanks. I've been wondering about Jim as well. Like myself, he was waiting for "the procedure". I guess he couldn't wait.

• Posted

Yeah...my uro said that most CICers have colonization without a full blown infection with a fever.

• Posted

Hi Hank, If someone had a prostatectomy for BPH,and then after this procedure because of his bladder he still cannot have a NV/? I guess thats possible? What do you think? PM this if you would? I know what CCUD is ,but what is CTUR?

Thanks

frank,

• Posted

It's possible that after a prostatectomy, a man still can't pee. If that happens, I guess you can still CIC, or have a suprapubic catheter installed. I don't know those acronyms either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.