Natural ways to Shrink Fibroids

Posted , 188 users are following.

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has been able to shrink their fibroids naturally?

I have seen a lot of stuff on the internet but a lot of it is confusing. For example they say exercise more, eat more greens, eat organic foods, eat less meat etc

What if you already do all of the above and still have fibroids? I am 5.6 feet and weigh 53kg or 8.5 stones or so, meaning I am a bit underweight. I use almond milk with gluten free cereal. I am gluten and lactose intolerant so already I eliminate a lot of foods. I cannot imagine eliminating any more foods without having a dull life. I exercise at least 4 times a week – 2 or 3 times at the gym and walk at least 20mins – 30mins every day.

Please can anyone share their story of naturally shrinking fibroids?

Thank you very much smile

10 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi missy26092,

I tried the natural route too, but without success I'm afraid. My BMI was and is around 23.2 and I already exercised regularly. Having read a great deal about adopting a diet to minimise the effects of oestrogen, I ate less meat, more fruit and veg, cut out alcohol, drank green tea etc but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. I finally had my huge fibroid removed last May and it was such a relief. I have kept up the healthy changes to my diet though and have added running into my exercise routine and lost a further 8 lbs so it wasn't a wasted effort!

• Posted

Hi deanne2,

you just have had you fibroids removed or also your uterus? Was just wondering cause I have mine like a 3 months pregnant now like the doctor told me like a grapefruit size the biggest 1 and I have more maybe 5 of them but the biggest 1 is like grapefruite size. 

• Posted

Hi Jane,

I had just the fibroid removed, everything else was left where it should be and fingers crossed I have had no further problems eighteen months on. I had to pay privately to avoid a hysterectomy, but in my opinion it was well worth it! My uterus was huge because of the fibroid, about the size of 28 week pregnancy the doc said.

• Posted

Wow 28 week! Bigger than mine. How many counts of fibroids do you have if you don't mind asking. Thank you so much for your reply. 
    • Posted

Is your stomach flattened now? Compare that time that you still have your fibroids? I will try to go naturally if I could, I hope it will shrink after 6 months. My doc told me that we're going observe about 6 months from now. Then will see if my fibroids will get bigger or not. 
    • Posted

There was one just one big fibroid and my stomach is completely back to normal!
    • Posted

i have been told my uterus is 21 weeks in size. At the last count it was 5 in total - one grapefuit size, apple size, plum size and smaller peanut size ones, did start off with 3 much smaller but 1 year after trying to shrink naturally they got worse. Can't wait for my stomach to go, opting to have open myomectomy. Wish you all the best jane as the natural route can work for some people.
    • Posted

Hi Otaey. I've been suffering from fibroids for awhile. I'm going to buy and try everything you've recommended but I'd like more information on what exactly you ate on a regular basis. I think I eat Farley healthy now but I still do eat meat. Although it is hormone free and grass fed. Is that ok?

Thanks so much!

• Posted

Otaey...can you tell me which systemic enzyme to buy?And where?
    • Posted

Can you please tell me which systemic enzymes I should purchase?

Thank you!

• Posted

I would love more information on how your shrunk your fibroids.  I have a large one, 9 cm, and it is causing heavy bleeding that has led to anemia.  I'm going to go vegan, and eliminate gluten.  Beyond that, what should I do?  
    • Posted

Otaey ,I just started reading your info.on fibroids. Thank God you are so willing to share. I have been on this journey for 5 years. I have a melon size fibroid and 4 smaller ones. Have been maintaining through diet, exercise and diff.herbs as I am told about. Have not had any real fibroid shrinking help. Please tell me what kind of enzymes that you have found to be effective along with a regimen.
    • Posted

Hi

pls can someone on high blood pressure medication go through this process?

thanks

• Posted

I have tried Vitex for PMS and it really really made my hormones go way down! People even asked me if I had breast-reduction surgery!!

That was 10 years ago... afterwards I stopped the Vitex.... Now I am 35 and 3 weeks ago I discovered that I have a 10cm fibroid, which I am doing my best to shrink naturally.

• Posted

Im going thru so much pain from these things inside in need help cant work or have relations. What do i need to do
    • Posted

Hi Otaey,

would to know how long it took u to shrink fibroids? What supplements or herbs did u take. Thanks for ur resoonse.

• Posted

Why did you have to pay privately to avoid a hysterectomy? My gynie said that myomectomy (where mine is lower posterior wall & very large 11x12x13 would be large risk of bowl adhension) so recommending hysterectomy. How large is a 28 week pregnancy fibroid?
    • Posted

The NHS consultant said that as the fibroid was so large it would probably be too difficult to remove via myomectomy and that I would most likely end up having a hysterectomy. I worked for the NHS for years and what you have to remember is that all surgeons are not equal, some are more skilled than others. Also, with the NHS, they want to carry out the procedure which is most time efficient because they are under a lot of pressure to keep their waiting lists down. My surgery took a long time because it was keyhole, whereas a hysterectomy is pretty straight forward. If you're wondering how they remove a huge fibroid via keyhole surgery, they use something called a macerator to take it out piece by piece, very time consuming!
    • Posted

Hi deanne2,

Did you get a hysterectomy or did the doctor just remove the fibroid? I'm trying to avoid a hysterectomy but my dr is insisting.

• Posted

Hi deanne2

Thank you so much for this crucial information. My case is similar to yours and I was told by nhs that both my womb and fibroid will hav to be to be taken off...And considering the fact that I have no child yet, I cannot settle for that. Pls can u give me more information about the private clinic used and how much it will cost. Once again thank as I am so relieved with the piece of information. Will be expecting your reply

• Posted

Hi D, Yes the cons said about macerarator, did he just take your fibroid? The only thing that concerns me, is if they break it up piece by piece how do they stop it sporing (if thats the right word) as I know they are so spreadable even to bladder, kidneys etc - I've had enough of this one fibroid & I don't want them to macerate it if it means theres a risk of fibroaid spores attaching to whatever is near. How did they stop that with you? He said something about putting it in a plastic bag to remove it? Did they do that for you? Thanks again  - still totally confused what to do & don't know weither to stick with the RVI in Newcastle or head South to London to see one of the top surgeons. I have just been sent some stuff through about embolisation but haven't big arteries so have 50/50 chance of it working. It said once it dies overnight after procedure that its like a big ulcer left inside - then if it infects you are left with emergency open X Heather
    • Posted

It's been a well known fact that a Hysterectomy is NOT the answer. Research shows this. Learn what fibrids feed off of and avoid those foods. Especially CHICKEN and BEEF.  I would bleed so much that I had clots in my cycle the size of a small 6 oz. steak! I stop eating certain foods and the bleeding stopped altogether! I may have a 4 day super light cycle now...sometimes no bleeding at all! My fibroids were the size of a walnut (2) small ones sitting right on my uterus.  this was 2 years ago. 

• Posted

I agree with you Khalia. I learned to stay away from beer, ever one glass, eat fish like salmon, and the more you are low on iron, the more you bleed. I take 56 mg iron and 2,000 mg fish oil a day. It has really lessened my bleeding. I still have my fibroid, but I am 48 and am hoping to go in to menopause soon so my fibroid will shrink. I also take 8,000 IU of vitamin D a day. I try not to eat meat like red meat too. I believe that he hormones that they inject in meat affects us. I would like to hear from anyone that has found success in dealing with fibroids. Please share.
    • Posted

Hi There

I have been diagnosed with fibroids. Can you please give me the details of the private clinic you used? I want to have children, I don't want anything to ruin that. Thank you

• Posted

Hi. I had a 12x10x5 cm fibroid and was told by 5 doctors in diff countries I would need a hysterectomy. I wanted kids. I searched online for reviews of doctors who specialize in fibroid removal. I came up with the Fibroid Collaborative who referred me to Univeristy of Miami Sylvester Cancer Centre Dr Slomovitz. I had robotic surgery 2 weeks ago and I have everything intact. Remember all doctors are not made equal, experience is extremely important and you deserve to give yourself the best shot possible. Hope that helps.
    • Posted

Hi Deanne,

Do you know of any natural herbal teas that will shrink fibroids. I think I read a response you had for someone regarding herbal teas. My fibroids are really big I have one bigger than a grapefruit and was told hysterectomy is my only option. I have no kids and really would like to at least have 1.

• Posted

hello raffaela50396 I was diagnosed to have 3 fibroids as well, It was nice to hear from you that taking 56 mg iron and 2,000 mg fish oil help lessened your bleeding. Like you I will be 50 this october and also hoping to menopause soon. I hope to hear more from you. Thank you
    • Posted

hello! I was diagnosed with 3 fibroids just last saturday, I want to know if you were able to shrink yiur fibroid in natural method?please share
    • Posted

Dear Eliza69417,

I do not have any pain nor problems urinating with my Fibroids. I am not constipated. I do have a bigger gut than usual but it doesn't bother me. My biggest issue was the stupid crazy heavy periods, but I swear that since I am taking the fish oil, it has really gotten them to pretty normal (heavy for two days vs. 14 days or longer). I am still experimenting, but occasionally I like a beer, I noticed that even if I have a half a bottle, it causes me to bleed. I read somewhere that beer messes with our estrogen. I believe it so now it is wine with my burger or brat. smile No beer! Please let me know if you notice anything that helps or makes matters worse with you. Also, I believe that taking Vitamin D helps to. The reason why I say that is because my periods are very heavy in the winter, little sun, and lighter in the summer, outside more. I take 8,000 IU in the winter.

• Posted

Hi

I am reading your comments, I am also suffering from uterine fibroids. I had done mayomactony twice but it came back again. I am really worried and dont want to go under surgery again. Please guide me how to shrink these fibroids without surgery.

• Posted

Hi Deanne, I wonder if you can give me any details about how you found your private doctor. I have a large fibroid, although smaller than yours and my doctor only recommended a hysterectomy. I would like to explore other options if possible. Thank you
    • Posted

Hi, glad to hear you had your fibroid removed without removing your

Uterus. I would like to hear more about your successful surgery , please reply when

you can.

Continue to be well.

• Posted

Did having your fibroid out help with the estrogen? I seem to think i have excess estrogen too. Having hysterectomy on Nov 21.
    • Posted

Hi Maria

​I did LOTS of research on the internet to find the right person. I can message you privately if you want his details, but I guess it depends where you live. I looked at qualifications, CVs, recommendations from patients etc

• Posted

Hi

?If you look back on this forum, I was posting regularly around May 2013 (the date of my surgery) so you can read about it there if you wish! I had a very large fibroid growing on the upper part of my uterus, it was removed via a laparascope in surgery which took 6 hours!! I had to pay privately and I know that the NHS would have removed my uterus as it simply would not have been cost effective or time effective for them to spend so much time on me. I've had no further issues and I recovered quickly other than being anaemic because I lost a lot of blood during the operation, but that was soon sorted out with rest and iron tablets.

• Posted

I have no idea to be honest! Because my fibroid was growing on the outer aspect of my uterus it didn't really affect my periods. My main issue was needing to go to the toilet all the time because of the pressure on my bladder and the sheer size of the thing meant it had to come out, I looked about 7 months pregnant. I'm only 5'1" and weigh around 8 stone so it seemed like a huge thing to be carrying around with me!!! Hormonally, I never noticed any issues and even though I'm now 53 years old, my periods are still normal and I'm still waiting for the menopause!

• Posted

Hi Deanne,

Thank you so much for your reply. The Doctor has put me on a course of Esmya now, so I won't need it for the time being. I will contact you i that changes. Thank you for your kind offer.

• Posted

Hi Maria999, how is it going under esmya? Is it bearable?
    • Posted

Hi Deanne 2

I am in the same predicament as you. I suppose going through surgery twice, it is less worrying in that way for me. I was put to sleep, they were removed.

Apparently I'm not pre menopausal or menopausal from my blood results.

I won't to avoid surgery but meanwhile I am not happy with only having about 7 days without a period.

I stopped eating meat 20 years ago, I eat fish. I stopped eating dairy products January 2016 and alcohol. Since then I've drank alcohol about 6 times over the last 2 months.

• Posted

By the way, I am 44 till next month.
    • Posted

Hi zor04812,

i haven't had any symthoms apart from my moods going up and down. I've been 4 weeks on it now and I think is working. I don't need to go to the toilet as frequently as I was going before.and I don't have to go in the middle of the night either. Also it doesn't bother me as much when doing exercise at the gym. My period is due next week so will see what happens. I would recommend it so far, but be prepared for the moods twisted

• Posted

Hi , I am scheduled for the robotic myomectomy and am very scared , I have  a 12 cm fibroid among other ones as well , they will put in a bag and use a morcellator, .can you please tell me your experience as I am terrified but I have to do something ..
    • Posted

don't let the doctor insist on the hysterectomy.  Unfortunately they do as it's easier for THEM!  They're payout is better for them but not for you.  The keyhole surgery seems like a good option.  I'd look into that and it's much more work but these doctors should be more than willing to save the woman's uterus as we want to keep them!  Anything other is just selfish.  Most of all cases not necessary to take out the uterus.

• Posted

Hi - thank you so much for sharing your story - it's amazing that we can all share stories and help one another these days.  I wondered if you could message me and give me the name of your surgeon and what research you did.

I had a myomectomy in the USA in 2010 to remove 53 fibroids and now I have fibroids again and we have no money left.  It's the most horrendous stress and I cry so often about it all.  

I am doing research still and probably know a lot of doctors all over the world but am always interested to hear where other women have been and to hear new names who may be able to help.

Best wishes

• Posted

Try using magnesium spray on your belly.  I found a post from about 2 years back on this very discussion where the person said that women who have fibroids are magnesium deficient and the best way for your body to get it is through the skin.  I've been using it for about a month now.  I use it every day.  I swear that it is helping and I feel so much better over all.  The best part is it is inexpensive and can't hurt you to try unless you over do it.  It's about $10 for a bottle that will last you months.  You can get it in just about any health store.

• Posted

Hi,

I feel so relieved reading your story.  Could you tell me where you had your surgery as I am desperately trying to find somewhere in the UK as the NHS offer no options.

I know you said that you posted your story at the time of your surgery but I can't find it so if you could reply I would be so grateful.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

You need to insist with your doctor. 

Mine only offered a hysterectomy in the beginning. Then he agreed to put me on Esmya to shrink it ( now on the 3rd course) which is slowly working. And now he has agreed on a laparoscopy myectomy (all on the NHS), but I had to be very persistent. Don't give up

• Posted

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the message and encouragement.  I've been on this fibroid journey for over 15 years and had 1 open myomectomy to remove 53 fibroids in the US! Now some have regrown and we have no money to borrow this time so US options are out.

Who is your doctor?  the thing I really need is names of doctors and hospitals in the UK so I can contact them.  I have a copy of my MRI scan I can send and get an opinion.  Already done that with a few but the costs are usually just too high.  I've contacted a whole list of doctors in the UK NHS and private and only have one option at the moment so knowing about anyone else would be great.

Getting it done on the NHS is so rare which is why I need to know where the doctors are.

Could you post the name or private message me?  thank you again for replying :-)

• Posted

The best Gynaecologist in the UK for multiple fibroids or complicated large fibroids or those wanting to avoid hysterectomy is Professor Isaac Manyonda, he works for the NHS - St Georges Hospital or Privately at Parkside Hospital and also another private hospital in Surrey.  I had an open Myomectomy with him Jan 2016 to remove 32 fibroids, theres lots of info on him on the internet including being voted by his peers as the best for open myomectomy. Very experieinced and great personality, depending on where you live you may want to get a private consultaton or a referral if your doctor will arrange it.
    • Posted

Hi Gemma have you had your surgery done and if you dont mind me asking, have you conceived? 
    • Posted

I have fibriod and someone want to introduce me to vitex, please I will like to ask when you were using vitex does it work for your fibriod

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.