Nausea 12 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 108 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago due to pain from 1 large stone. Had the dreaded diarrhea for 8 weeks but has settled. Have the most horrendous nausea I have ever experienced. It's worse in the mornings and I can hardly get out of bed its that bad. Some days it goes by lunchtime and I feel ok and other days it lingers until the evening and then I feel ok. Was back in hospital last week and other than a little gastritis everything is ok. My surgeon said it will go in time. I am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how long did it take to go. Its starting to depress me now!

7 likes, 598 replies

598 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Well 14 weeks today since my operation. In hospital since last Thursday. Haven't vomited since then but still have the terrible nausea and dry wretching at times. Still feel terrible. Met a woman here who had her gallbladder removed 4 years ago and the very same thing happened to her. Nausea dry wretching and couldn't eat for 4-5 months. And then she got better. She has given me some hope. That's all I have for now. Have seen loads of Doctors and had loads of tests but only thing that showed up was ovarian cyst which they are going to leave Alone for now. Please God one of these days I will wake up feeling ok. It's been a nightmare. X
    • Posted

Just very sorry to hear you are still doing so poorly.  I'm glad there is a glimmer of hope from the woman you met who did get better eventually. This does sound like a terrible nightmare.  You are in my thoughts.
    • Posted

Thank you ndm. How are you doing? I hope the diarrhea has settled and your feeling better. I am seeing one of the top gi docs here in Ireland tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll get answers. Take care of yourself and I hope the caltrate is helping you. X
    • Posted

Happy St Paddy's Day Ace! Hope you are feeling better.Keep us informed!!
    • Posted

Thank you Angela. Still not much of an improvement. Happy St Patrick's day or la feile Padraig as we say in Irish. X
    • Posted

I worked for an Irish lady who was a nurse in a retirement home. I was a C.N.A. and I just loved her to death! We had the cabbage and corn beef on this day and I love the accent, songs, etc. I really hope you get some answers and feel better!  wink
    • Posted

Thank you so much Angela so do I. Go raibh Maith agat as we say in Irish. X
  • Edited

well finally saw top gi doctor Here in Ireland. He told me he has come across this before but it's very rare and uncommon and can last for a number of months. I haven't vomited in a few days so he thinks it's settling down. He was a true gent and held my hand and said it will settle down very soon I am reassuring you of that. So hopefully he is right and I can start to feel better soon. X
    • Posted

I am so happy you found out something and that your doctor was so nice! That counts for a lot! Hopefully, in a few days you will back to normal and feeling much, much better!!  smile
    • Posted

Not only a very kind man, but encouraging news!  It's not unheard of and it's getting better!!  I hope it will all be a smooth road from here.  You are one tough cookie to have held up as you have and continue all the while to be supportive of others.  Big hugs to you!
    • Posted

Thank you ndm. I feel relieved but am shattered. No dry wretching this morning just the nausea. Hopefully another few weeks and I'll be a lot better. I hope your continuing to improve And the diarrhea has stopped for you. Had a meltdown here in the hospital on Monday and couldn't stop crying. They got a pyschiatrist to see me! Never saw one before in my life. She was as mad as a brush! She told me the whole thing was taking its toll on me and making me anxious. I asked her how would she feel if she was vomiting for 14 weeks and hasn't improved! The gi said it will take another few weeks to completely settle down so fingers crossed. Thanks for your support. X
    • Posted

Thank you Angela. Hopefully another few weeks and I'll be ok again and can get back to My life again. This has been a very rough ride. X
  • Posted

I know you haven't posted in a while, but wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping by now you are home and feeling better.  I'm doing better and you were a great help and comfort to me during the worst.  Sending you best wishes!
    • Posted

Hi ndm great to hear your getting better. I am still in hospital. Didn't vomit all last week and have vomited twice this week and awake since 215am this morning with the nausea. It's a case of 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I hope this nightmare ends for me soon. It's 15 weeks now. Delighted your on the mend. Keep in touch. X
  • Posted

I'm so sorry you are still going thru this!!  I will certainly keep sending all good wishes your way!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.