Nausea 12 weeks after gallbladder removal

Posted , 108 users are following.

Had my gallbladder removed 12 weeks ago due to pain from 1 large stone. Had the dreaded diarrhea for 8 weeks but has settled. Have the most horrendous nausea I have ever experienced. It's worse in the mornings and I can hardly get out of bed its that bad. Some days it goes by lunchtime and I feel ok and other days it lingers until the evening and then I feel ok. Was back in hospital last week and other than a little gastritis everything is ok. My surgeon said it will go in time. I am just wondering if this happened to anyone else and how long did it take to go. Its starting to depress me now!

7 likes, 598 replies

598 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

well 16 weeks today since the surgery and still feel as bad as ever. Just spent another 16 days in hospital. This nausea and dry retching is driving me crazy. Still vomiting some days too. I don't know when this nightmare will end for me. The only hope is I did manage to speak to a few people in hospital who experienced the same thing and got better after 6 months. I hope to god I get better by then. There doesn't seem to be Any sign of this going at all. Everyday is the same and still finding it hard to eat. Will life ever be the same again. I can only hope it will.
  • Posted

So sorry you have still sufferning the sickness. Just wondering if you had the pains with the stone before you had it removed. I do not and reading all these posts is seriuosly putting me off having the op until I really need it. I just have the 1 large stone like you did.
    • Posted

Hi Anita I did have pain from the stone and no other symptoms. My gallbladder was perfect. I would hold off if your not symptomatic. Too many people having healthy gallbladders removed. Is your gallbladder healthy? I totally regret the surgery and wish I had of tried alternative options To get rid of the stone. I have never felt so sick in my life and of course the worry is when or if it will settle down. Remember many people recover quickly after the operation and return to normal but there seems to be a lot of side effects to this surgery that we are not told of. I can only put this down to the fact my gallbladder wasn't diseased although many people have theirs removed due to stones and no inflammation and are ok. Good luck with your decision. X
    • Posted

Hi,

I wasn't told if my gallbladder was healthy but will be asking when I go in May. I have read up on it a lot and will ask if there is any thickening of the walls or any sludge.

I get really bad nausea some days , headches and a bit of acid reflux sometimes. The reflux isn't as bad now I am watching what I eat and drink but compared with what some people have after the op I am prepared to put up with it. You just don't know what is for the best and totally rely on the consultant. If it turned out it wasn't healthy tjhen I suppose it will have to come out.

• Posted

Hi Anita I should have said I did have gastritis before the gallstone was diagnosed and a bit of nausea and acid reflux too. I was prescribed ppi for that in October and has a scan the next day and that's when the gallstone was discovered. I didn't get pain until I happened to eat scrambled egg And the pain didn't go away until the operation in December. By the way I still have the gastritis and the worst bitter taste in my mouth constantly since the operation. X
  • Posted

Well, after so long in the hospital and you still have no relief, I'm sure you must be feeling quite downhearted.  It's not easy to keep hopeful when each day brings the same unpleasant symptoms.  I'm hoping you will have some good news very very soon!

• Posted

Thank you ndm. How have you been doing? X
    • Posted

Much better with digestion and eating.  I'm a little disappointed that my appetite has returned to normal!  lol  One of the benefits of this is that I dropped a bunch of weight.  It would be great to keep a "gift" that my troublesome gall bladder left me with.  I see my GI doc today and we'll discuss other meds for my migraines (that's what the drug he took me off of was for--and the migraines are coming back).  But while migraines also leave me with a limited quality of life, I don't get them when I travel away from our little river valley, and I do love to travel which was impossible with the GB symptoms.  So a trade-off.  Thanks for asking--you are always so supportive of others!
    • Posted

Am so delighted you are improving. Thank god one of us is. Hopefully my appetite will return when this nausea goes away. Am eating very little. I'm praying it will settle soon and that I will be ok for the summer. I think the majority of people settle by 6 months but for others it can linger for another few months. Please God I'll be ok soon. Feel like my life is on hold. X
  • Posted

I just googled and found this forum....I had my gallbladder out on Dec 5, 2014 so its been 5 months and I have gastritis. I had an upper scope to confirm this. It is a terrible pain in my upper middle chest that will radiate all around my back. When I first started having this pain I thought it was a heart attach. The surgeon did a scope and luckily all the biopsies came back okay, and was told I had gastritis. When it hits and is very painful and I take Zantac to stop the pain. I am so sick of this interfering with my life. It's bad enough I have Fibromyalgia, but this is wiping me out! I cannot afford to loose anymore weight, but have decided to change my diet to one for gastritis. I read on here that some people had it and it just went away....just like that, after months of having this. I so hope this will happen soon. I'm curious as to how long it take the others on here to be rid of there problems. I too had some nausea in the beginning, that is a symptom of gastritis. Now I will just get the pain out of no where. I am now trying warm water with lemon in the mornings and that seems to help a bit. What is everyone else doing for their symptoms?
    • Posted

Hi Christine you had your surgery a few days before me! I was taking zoton for my tummy since the op but I was vomiting everyday and decided to stop taking it and haven't vomited in nearly 5 weeks! I am taking probiotics, Manuka honey, caltrate calcium and psyllium husk with digestive enzymes in them. You should get some digestive enzymes as they will help your tummy and also help with the breakdown of fats in your food. They recommend anyone without a gallbladder to take digestive enzymes. I'm sorry to hear you've gastritis. It's very common after gallbladder removal as is indigestion. Unfortunately removal of gallbladder can bring on a host of new symptoms in a lot of people which we aren't told about prior to the op. I hope you feel better soon. X
    • Posted

I went to see the consultant yesterday to say if I wanted the op. It was a different consultant and felt very rushed. When he asked me for my answer I told him that I had been told to look up and read up on the op and hade a few questions. I asked him about the diarrhea and he was adamant that you only get that if you have problems with your bowel or have had bowel surgery. He said your bowel movements would be better after the op than they were now. He said as I was having reservations about the op and it wasn't necessary for me to have it as my gallbladder was still ok and not infected to come back if things change.

The last consultant that I saw also said that if I didn't go ahead with the op that I would be monitored but the one I saw yesterday has taken me off the list and told me I have to go through the doctor to get referred if things change. It is very unsettling when there is no consistancy between what one consultant says and another one says.

• Posted

Hi Anita I think you've mad the right decision for now and I can tell you a lot of people who haven't had previous bowel surgery or bowel problems do end up with issues post gallbladder removal. If your gallbladder is not inflamed don't have the op. I would recommend ichol plus. It's a natural digestive enzyme which helps break down the stones. I wish I had of known about this prior to the op and I would definitely not have had mine removed! I was actually told because I had had previous bowel surgery I would not have any problems! You can't win can you! X
    • Posted

It seems that they all say different things. Really gives you confidence in them doesn't it. My gall bladder has no infection. I am slowly finding out foods that trigger the nausea so don't have that as much as I did.  I came away hoping I hadn't made a mistake but reading on recent posts think I made the right decision for now.

I have read that you can take things to dissolve small stones but mine is a big one so would be worried taking anything incase it caused a piece to get stuck somewere.  I will check with my doctor when I see him next to see what he thinks.

• Posted

Hi Anita have you just one big stone too? That's what I had and it couldn't get out so was rattling around. I only had the pain for a few weeks when my surgeon decided to remove my gallbladder. I was getting pain but the funny thing is it all started when my doctor prescribed zoton for my tummy and I've Since found out that these proton pump inhibitors actually aggravate gallstones! I feel my surgery was completely unnecessary even though I did have pain as my gallbladder was perfect. I am now living with the consequences of it even though I was told I would feel much better after the op. My mother had had a stroke a few weeks before this and I was very stressed and made the wrong decision. There are drugs they can give you to dissolve the stone but if I were you I would try the alternative route. People have had great success with alternative remedies. I hope you find something that works for you and you don't have to have this op. Keep me posted. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi. I just want to give you my experience, because it might help a little. I had one big stone. 2.5 cm I believe. When they did the ultrasound it still was mobile and wasnt trying to lodge anywhere. It was too big to get stuck in a duct of course, and too big to laser.  I was told it needed to come out, I wasn't really given an option as they believed that over time it would lodge into the end of the duct or try to work its way through the gallbladder wall into the abdominal cavity and cause the gallbladder to rupture. I had my gallbladder out laproscopically, but with big cuts cause of the size of the stone. Come to find out the stone, a short few weeks later had already lodged into the gallbladder wall and was starting to burrow through so I was a short time away from a real emergency. I had no severe attacks, just constant minor discomfort. Please be careful and take care of you . 
    • Posted

Please get bile duct examined,. Ultra sonograms, then CT scan can detect blocks.

Blood test left can support diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.