Nausea on waking

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have this strange problem that on some days i am dreaming of somebody being sick then i wake with nausea which can last during day, then able to eat at tratime.  This has been happening for a while and i am diagnosed with anxiety but what i cannot understand is i go to bed feeling fine, eating ok then the cruel awakening.

i think it has been worse since gallbladder came out. 

Dietician has put me on low fodmap diet which has helped ibs d i think so far.

so fed up waking with this.  Dr says try zantac as it may be acid but i have no heartburn since gallbladder gone. Frightened ro take it as some people say it makes them feel worse.

imiserable feeling like this and just need an answer.

0 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi ann55375

Can you recall waking up after the gall bladder op and feeling nauseas. If so you could be re-living that. We dream just before we wake up. This could be psychological and it will probably pass...How long has your nausea after waking up been going on?...How long ago did you have your op?? was it recent?

• Posted

Hi, i dont remember waking up nauseous as i told anaesthetist he should make sure i had anti emetic.  24 hours later i had a sandwich and soup and was ok.   Since then its been downhill. That was a year ago.
    • Posted

Hi ann55375

Ahhh.... a year ago..i thought it may have been quite recent....its probably related to your IBS.

there are people on the forum who are experienced with IBS who i'm sure can advise you.....best wishes for a solution to the problem...

• Posted

Gallbladder removal can make things worse and can trigger IBS.
    • Posted

Yes, i am pretty sure this has happened. Question now is how to deal with it.  I am on low Fodmap diet for IBS.
    • Posted

Milk is good for nausea so long as you are not lactose intolerant.  You could try a mild antacid like gaviscon to see if it helps.  Not everyone who tries an antacid will feel worse after taking it.  Everyone is different.

If you do feel worse when trying an antacid, you can always come off them.  Although you don't feel hearburn, you could have the silent type where you don't feel acid but you start to cough or feel sick when the acid escapes.  I get this type of reflux and I also have times when I feel the acid.

• Posted

Could i feel nauseous on waking due to silent acid?  If so, maybe i could try a zantac at night.  I never feel the acid.  Or maybe the nausea is due to the ibs?
    • Posted

Nausea and acid reflux both can come from IBS.  You can feel nauseous with acid, silent or otherwise at any time.  I find if I ignore acid burning in my stomach for too long, it can make me feel sick.  I get reflux at any point during the day or night.  I also get nausea with IBS.  Taking a Zantac before bed would be a good test to see if the sickness goes away in the morning.  Also make sure you don't eat too close to bedtime because this can cause hearburn and indigestion too.

• Posted

Hello Ann I think you should give the Zantac a try Dr told me sane thing and much to my surprise it helped more then ever thought possible. Could be the same for you.
    • Posted

how long since you had gallbladder out did you leave till starting zantac?  I am afraid it will worsen the ibs
    • Posted

I take different brands of antacids and they all get rid of my hearburn without worsening my IBS.  If you are still unsure about antacids, try milk which is natural and will get rid of acid as long as you can tolerate lactose.
    • Posted

unfortunately i cannot have milk. After gallbladder removal i wasnt too bad for a while, then the morning nausea and ibs d got worse.  I thought it would just go away in time but it hasnt.  Although i had ibs beforehand, i am sure this nausea and ibs d are related to losing the gallbladder, all of which is making me more depressed and anxious. Take gaviscon during night but doesnt seem to touch the nausea.
    • Posted

Some people get Bile acid malabsorption after gallbladder removal because the gallbladder is no longer there to store the bile which gets dumped elsewhere. Others can get IBS because the nerves in the stomach remember the trauma and get irritated.  Patients are not often imformed about these complications of gallbladder surgery.

Have you tried any lactose free milk?

• Posted

Yes, i decided to go to see dietician and i have Low Fodmap diet so far no difference. Maybe need something to quell bile.
    • Posted

Perhaps ask your doctor for Cholyestramine sachets.  You may need a SECHAT scan to confirm Bile Acid Malabsorption first of all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.