Nausea only every single day. Is it my gallbladder!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've always had IBS for around 14 years. Off and on nausea through those years. This time I'm going on month 4 with nausea. I can't stand it anymore and am losing my marbles. I've had an ultrasound, CT scan of abdomen and pelvis, gastric emptying test, and an endoscope I also had a HIDA scan that was 21%. The HIDA scan was the only test where there was something wrong. My family doc sent me to a surgeon and he says I need my gallbladder removed. Is this gonna get rid of my nausea?

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thinking of you Cathy!! Hope your doing ok!!
    • Posted

Hi Heather! I'm so glad I got that day over. It was pretty bad after surgery. Lots of pain. But I don't think I was suppose to have it cause when the nurse gave me the IV she told me that was the only pain I'd feel. Then they gave me a ton of pain meds in my IV that I got extremely nausus. They gave me zofran in the IV and a patch behind my ear. But I was a hot mess on my trip home. Later in the evening my nausea went away. Today I just have pain and my stomach looks puffed with air I guess. I haven't taken any pain pills cause I don't want to get sick. But so far so good. Ate a banana, applesauce, toast and then soup. Actually the most I have eaten on a regular nauseated day. My surgeon said my gallbladder was diseased and had fat on it. Don't know what that is about. Glad I got it out though. I think this is what caused me so many problems. Good luck at your spot Tuesday. Maybe you'll get yours out in a few weeks also. 💜

• Posted

Hi Heather!

Thinking about you and remembered you were seeing a surgeon today. How did your appt go?

• Posted

Hi Cathy! Thanks for thinking of me! Basically it's too soon for me to have another surgery. Part of me is very thankful! But the part of me that would like some nutrition is sad. I think he thought I was seeking surgery. He was beyond pompous!! I also have Interstitial cystitis, makes eating hard with this alone then to not be able to have fats makes eating to sustain weight darn near impossible!

Goin to go holistic route for now. Next appt with him is in 2 months, though I have have heard nothing but good things about him, I am not sure I want him to do surgery at any point.

• Posted

Hi Heather! I couldn't imagine having another surgery so soon after your kidney surgery. I feel like it's gonna take me a long time to recover from this one. After surgery I was in extreme pain. I don't think I'll ever forget it. I think you are making a smart decision. You know your body and when you are back to being super healthy you will make that decision. Could you try a different nausea medicine. I was using pheffernan (I don't know how to spell it) after awhile it stoped working so I went to Compazine. I also have zofran when that stops working. Just makes you super tired. Could you drink Boost. Holli on this forum used it and I got some. I just took a few sips and put it back in the fridge and then just grazed on it until it was done. Has a ton of vitamins and almost 400 calories. You need some calories. Waiting to see if I get the poops from it though. I will do Holistic if I still get nausea or acupuncture. Need some hobby that gets your mind off of things. Yoga would be good. Prayers being said for you!!!! 🙏🙏💜💜

• Posted

Thanks Cathy! I'll take all the prayers I can get! As for boost, it's got soy in it and therefore on my no list, like most things...

Praying that your nausea goes away!! And that your healing is speedy!! Xo

• Posted

Heather, sorry I see soy. You should go to a nutritionist. I wish I could go with you. I think some health insurance companies pay for it if your doctor writes a script for it. I might see if I can go see one. I want to try yoga I haven't left the house alone yet so I'm gonna stay in my bubble for awhile and heal. Hang in there! Keep in touch! 🙏🙏🙏

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago after 6 weeks of nausea and just feeling unwell being my only real symptoms, had every test ran and HIDA scan of 34% being the only indicator of what could be wrong. After having gallbladder removed they saw that it was chronically inflamed and I have felt like a whole new person ever since about week 3 post surgery! I feel like dr.s only look for stones when it could actually be a sick or inflamed gallbladder. My nausea is gone but more than that, I wonder just how long my low functioning/sick gallbladder was making me sick for. I have energy every day and feel well again! I have always been a healthy eater but I am even more so now, paying extra close attention to keeping gut flora healthy and avoiding parabens and hormones from dairy/meat. Only organic now. (Spike in estrogen levels after pregnancy is what I think caused my gallbladder to act up) I also take milk thistle and selenium everyday for liver function and omega 3. But to answer your question YES nausea for me was the only real symptom but I lost 14 lbs as an already slim person, in the 6 weeks prior to having my gallbladder removed, due to the horrible nausea and fatigue. I am so thankful I got my sick gallbladder removed. Wishing you luck in getting this figured out! Stay strong and take care!!
    • Posted

Hi Holli, this is day four after I had my gallbladder removed. I had the same symptoms as you. Just wondering if you had a bit of nausea after surgery and then it went away? Just want this to be gone.
    • Posted

Yes I did! Until about week 2 1/2 or 3 after surgery I was still nauseated, I really got a tiny bit better every day. I think it just takes time for your body to heal after surgery and get used to not having a gallbladder. I was so scared thinking what else could be wrong with me making me this nauseous, the tell tell signs of gallbladder problems are right quadrant pain, but with me it was the nausea, cold sweats, shakiness , and a little dizziness. I got on here and had to reply to you because I felt you were exactly where I was a month ago, and I felt I would possibly never get better! but I DID and I feel so much better!!!. Just be patient with your body, everyone is different and heals differently, but you just had an organ taken out of your body. I still get a tiny bit nauseous before having to go to the bathroom and I take bile salts to help with indigestion and constipation. I started feeling better when I got out and actually talked to friends and family that had had these same issues with their gallbladder and nausea is absolutely normal and it does take a little while to feel better, but just know that you WILL feel better. I had to make myself stay off of the Internet because googling my symptoms of nausea brought so much anxiety and stress about what else could be wrong that the Drs missed! Trust your body and eat right. Get your liver and gut flora healthy with milk thistle and probitics and your digestion will improve, and nausea will, in turn, cease. What a scary thing to go through, right? Please keep us updated on your progress! Wishing you all the best!!!
    • Posted

Thanks, Holli, for the reply. I do feel like something else is wrong with me. I guess I just thought I would immediately feel better after surgery. I have been very stressed and scared over this. I too only had nausea and sometimes a messed up stomach. The nausea caused me to lose a ton of weight. I totally lost my appetite. This is day four and I don't have an appetite at all. This has got to be the most miserable that I have ever felt in my whole life. I'm 51 so I've had many chances. I'm balling my eyes out. Im making my husband and sons life just horrible. I started being really nausus in June. It's been so long. I loved reading your note and I pray that I will get better like you. I miss going to the gym, going out to eat, my sons hockey games, long bike rides, talking with friends, going to church and I mostly miss just laughing and smiling. I'm so sad. Thanks for your note!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this for so long. It is so scary to feel so sick day in day out, and then to finally have surgery only to feel the same. I know how that feels and felt so hopeless after my surgery too. I have done so much research and talked to so many different people who are going through what you and I have gone through. So many people that have gone years not really knowing why they are having all of these same symptoms because they are not classic gallbladder symptoms. But they ARE if you have acute or chronic cholecystitis which is a deseased or inflamed gallbladder. I saw 4 different doctors in my 6 weeks of misery and none of them were convinced it was my gallbladder giving me this nausea (because I didn't have stones or severe pain) until after it was out and the biopsy showed chronic inflammation. And after its out your body is just trying to get used to not having a gallbladder. Also with the nausea, I think I felt worse when I didn't eat. I had absolutely no appetite whatsoever for a few weeks still after surgery but I would choke down a banana, bread, organic milk, or boost (the nutritional drink) and I would feel a little better. You can get really nauseous from not eating also. Staying positive is hard when you feel as crummy as you do and I'm writing you because when I was in your shoes, I wish I would have known that it IS normal the way youre still feeling, and with so many others too. It DOES get better. Just keep the faith. I know what you're feeling about putting your family through the ringer, I have three children at home and my husband was so exhausted with taking care of them and running me in and out of doctors offices for two months. But that's what family is for??

I will be praying for you and your speedy recovery. Just know there is a greater purpose for this suffering you are feeling right now. "This too shall pass." 💞

• Posted

Hi and thank you for the reply. I too have been to a ton of doctors in the last 4 months. I also went to the ER twice because I couldn't stand the nausea. I was sent home with nausea meds. I had an ultrasound, ct scan, gastric emptying test, HIDA scan and a ton of blood work in two months time. My HIDA scan was the only test that was negative. It was at 21%. Even more confusing my GI doctor sent me to a surgeon and he said no I don't need it out. I then went back to my family doctor and she said why wouldn't you get it out. It's not functioning right. She sent me to another surgeon. He said yes you need this out and you will feel better and that's the only test that was negative. He told my husband after surgery that he could tell why I was so sick. He said my gallbladder was covered with fat. I will have to ask the surgeon about this at my follow up. I guess I'm feeling sorry for myself. I always think of the negative. I do need to be positive. Thank you for taking the time to write me. Reading your story makes me feel a bit better. 💜💜💜💜

• Posted

That is funny, I went to the er twice because of the nausea and was sent home with nausea meds only, too. I had all of those same tests, ultrasound, ct, blood work, and an upper gi endoscopy, only thing that came back negative was Hida scan of 34%. I started having some pains in between my shoulders and when I talked to my surgeon she said that, the Hida scan and the fact that I looked a little jaundice is what made her decide I needed it out. And you are perfectly normal and justified in feeling sorry for yourself right now! I told my husband I would rather give birth naturally again 5 times than go through what I went through those nine(ish) long weeks! It made me so sick! I truly do feel better now than I remember feeling for a very long time. If every other test came back positive and ok for you I really feel like it's just a matter of time that you will start to feel normal and back to yourself again😄

• Posted

Hi Holli!

I wrote the other day but it didn't go through. I wanted to tell you I had an endoscope also in addition to all the other tests which you had too. That test was okay also. She did say there was a bit of gastritis but she said most people have a little and it wouldn't cause that much nausea. I love reading your story. In fact, I reread it several times. My husband bought me Boost and I sipped on it through the afternoon (I had it in the fridge between sips). I cannot remember the last time I had something that had flavor. I still have no appetite but am gonna try to graze a bit. Thank you for all your encouraging words. I will try to think positive. I, too, will stay on this site if I recover to help others just as you do. Glad you are doing okay. 💜

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.