Nauseous and feeling like a lump in my throat?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been suffering with acid reflux for a year and last month I have been diagnosed with a mild hiatus hernia. I am nauseous all the time and feel like something is stuck in my throat all the time.

I used to take nexium and now my doctor ordered me something similar to them (don't know their name). Though I still feel like something is stuck in my throat and its really annoying as well as my nausea, it won't go away with the medication to control the acid refux.

I am thinking about making gluten and lactose intolerance test to see if I also am intolerant to them.

Has anyone had this experience ?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there, i too have been suffering with both acid reflux and slight hiatus herrnia for just over a year and been on many meds like omeprazole, lansoprazole, ranitidine and sucralfate, none of which completely worked, i then after doing the intolerance tests cut out all dairy and wheat and have noticed a big reduction in acid reflux.  Im not saying it works for everyone but definately worth a try. Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you for your help smile

Did you feel like a lump in your throat?

• Posted

Some of the time, but it was more the indigestion and heartburn that got to me
  • Edited

I have been on this similar journey.  I would isolate the foods you eat to find if there are any real triggers, but at the same time really limit the use of the meds.  The PPi's are the worse.  I used famotidine for 4 months and just stopped cold turkey without any issues.  I can drink a couple of cups of coffee with no issues and other foods they told me to stay away from.  Personally, I would be your best judge/dorctor of what works for you.  The doctors feel like LPR or silent gerd is really hard to diagnose so they just give out meds and don't look to much closer. I had that lump for months and it freaked me out.  I would suggest follow sleeping up with a wedge or pillow, sleep only on left side, never right.   Don't eat and lay down or go off to bed.  Stick with fish and chicken for main dinners and I had no issues with eggs for breakfast.  I lost 15 lbs and now trying to gain that back.  Anxiety is a major issue with this throat thing. Try to monitor that as much as possible.  I have been using diazepam in small amounts to help with that, but don't take before bed, only when you are stressing out. Keep telling yourself you can get thru this.  There is so much negative stuff out there, just ignore most of it and heal yourself.  It worked for me. I never thought I could feel good again. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your help. I eliminated most of the food and alcohol that triggers acid reflux. And i am not a stressed person so i dont know why i keep feeling the lump in throat. I also try to eat at least 3 hours before I go to bed
  • Edited

The feeling of something stuck in the throat (globus), is reported by 50% of patients with extra-oesopjhageal reflux (commonly known as LPR).

Gastro-oesophageal reflux carries mater from the stomach into the oesophagus - usually through a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter due to your hiatus hernia. PPIs like esomeprazole (Nexium) etc reduce the acid so the reflux is less damaging. However, they don't really address the reflux and even non-erosive reflux can cause problems.

Travelling full column the flap valave of the upper oesophageal sphincter was never really designed to prevent this. The cricopharyngeal muscle can go into spasm and tighten in a preventative effort - which causes that feeling of the lump in the throat.

It's probably nothing to do with whether you may be gluten or lactose intolerant, you really need to attempt to reduce the reflux itself.

The www DownWithAcid org uk book has a major section on reflux describing its action, its complications and management thereof.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the information. I will visit the site for extra resources
    • Posted

I'm going through the exact same thing.  It is due to PERIMENOPAUSE.  I know this for sure!!  I can let you know my journey with it if you like but in short....  I'm on Delixant, VSL #3 (pobiotics) low dose Prozac, estrogen and progesterone and testosterone.  I'm also doing the Elimination Diet (book) and have cut back on bread (gluten free now).  Drinking Prune juice and walking for digestion.  It's been a very though journey but I'm still here.
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing you story , but in my case it cant be due to perimenopause since I just turned 19 years old.
    • Posted

No it's not perimenopause, enjoy your young life!!
    • Posted

I wish I can enjoy my life more since this has changed my life a lot
    • Posted

Hi Barretts

Yes I've been to the DownWithAcid link. Very good. I'm wondering, when you speak of a malfunctioning lower oesophageal sphincter due to hiatus hernia , does it make a difference if said hernia was diagnosed by Dr. as a n'small' hiatus hernia?

My life has been hell with the ever-present lump in throat (globus) and the subsequent nausea therof. No change in diet and no amount oof PPI's do anything to help mbecause as you said the PPI's just help as best possible with the matter of erosion. Therefore, I suffer regardless. Can't eat ..and losing a lot of weight in turn.

So my query is, could a 'small' hiatus hernia be causing a malfunctioning sphincter ,or would it have to be bigger?

• Posted

I have very similar symptoms as you, and this have been changing my life a lot too.

I have the tight throat feeling constantly for two months now and sometimes when i swallow i will even hear a clicking sound.

I have been taking PPI for ten days now, i used to have a throat burning sensation but at least that is gone.

When did you start having this?

• Posted

Acid reflux has been ging over a year though the nauseous and feeling like soemthing stuck in throat maybe for 6 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.