Nearly 3 years of Mirtaz made things worse

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys. 

Just wanted to start by saying that these forums are fantastic for making you feel like you're not alone on this journey. So thanks to everyone who has shared their story. I've been reading them for a while on here and decided to sign up. 

This is my personal story. 

I was put on Mirtazapine about two and a half years ago (at some point in early 2015) for anxiety and slight depression. I felt like I was struggling a lot in social situations, sweating a lot, and having a general feeling of panic. I saw a GP and she prescribed this to me as a 'light soother' or something along those lines. I know it's my responsibility to read things, but I was stupid and started taking it without a second thought. The GP didn't describe the side effects etc at all and I didn't ask. I guess I was desperate for some relief. 

Anyone, to not go on too much, the short story is that Mirtazapine 15mg made my anxiety and depression significantly worse. I only started getting full on panic attacks after I started taking Mirtaz and I feel into a deep depression with serious suicidal ideation after about a year of being on it. Here's the stupid thing, even after these episodes, my doctors tried other anti-depressants, and I hated them so they told me to stay on Mirtaz. And I did, and things got slightly better as more time went on, but I absolutely hated the way it made me feel. Tired, drowsy, pale, lack of energy, honestly it's been pretty horrible. 

So I this year I decided to go off it. The problem is when I go off it I get terrible IBS. So I've fluctuated on and off for about 3 months. Now I'm at the point where I am convinced I need to get off it, so I've decided to tough out the IBS - try natural remedies etc - and get off this awful drug. 

Today I woke up after taking it late last night, and I felt absolutely dreadful. Depersonalised, headaches, nightmares, tight throat, etc etc. I haven't done anything because of how s**t I feel today, so it's taking it's toll. 

I know that other people have experienced similar things, and I'm just wondering if anyone felt better after being on it for years and then stopping? And whether anyone had these intense reactions to Mirtaz?

I should also mention that I'm in a much better headspace now than when I went on the pill. Much more positive and hopeful, so I think it's a good time to get off. 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mirt is a bad drug. You are doing the right thing by not using. After all the tales of woe in this forum regarding usage and withdrawal, I wrote to the MRHA (a government drug watchdog). They sent me an overview description of the drug which I posted on this forum. Basically Mirt is not the same as other SSRI anti depressants but the MHRA don’t seem to want to withdraw. So keep away.
    • Posted

Really interesting Drew. Yeah, I've read nothing but bad things about it. Do you have a link to that post? Would like to read. 

Thanks for your reply. 

• Posted

Hi yes I agree I subscribe to this site and I don’t feel so alone. I was prescribed Mirt 15mg 4 weeks ago for anxiety and depression. I am feeling a bit better although the weariness and lethargy comes in waves and sleep isn’t great, though less anxious. I am not willing to increase the dose, I think that’s what the GP will suggest tomorrow. I have started using lavender oil at night which is helping me to sleep, although I was sceptical when it was first suggested. I am also going to have some therapy to explore some pain in my past. I don’t believe that meds are the whole answer, I think we have to look at the bigger picture. Thank you to everyone who shares their stories on this site.

• Posted

Hi Barbara. 

That's interesting about the Lavender oil. Can I ask what you do with it? 

I think therapy is a really good idea. It's something I need to start doing again, as I used to do it quite regularly but have now stopped. When I was doing it though, I really noticed the difference. 

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Did your GP end up suggesting a higher dose? I had a GP recommend the same for me once, and told me that the higher the dose, the less the side effects. Don't know how true that is...

• Posted

Hi Joe I put 3 drops of oil in the palm of my hands and rub them together and take a few minutes to breathe in the smell. My GP didn’t suggest I increase the dose but to see her again in 2 weeks as I will have been taking 

It for 6 weeks then we will decide.

I am starting therapy in January.

• Posted

Thanks for that. I'm definitely going to give that a try. 

That's really good about therapy! Well done. And I'm glad your GP didn't increase the dose. I really hope it works out for you :-)

• Posted

Dear Joe

Thanks for the encouragement.

Be kind to yourself 

• Posted

My thanks to you for sharing your experience with this drug i am on my 5th dose[30mg]as initially  prescribed for my depression anxiety and and sleeping problem and have become very concerned by some of the comments made especially In consideration of its suggested long time use and needed gradual reduction in dosage to come off of it.AND I am now seriously considering if i should be using it!In regards to this has anyone found a better alternative that i can discuss with a medical professional The depression and anxiety is terrible but the inability to get proper sleep has been devastating to me and i am desperate to find a remedy to my symptoms before my brain chemistry becomes adapted to this drug
    • Posted

I would also be interested to hear if anyone has found a better alternative. I'm sure there are threads already on this forum about it as well. 

Randy, I'm no health professional, but I would suggest talking to your GP about it for sure. 

• Posted

Hi

I am on mirt snd venlaflaxine. On 45mg now and i m sure it is making me worse. I am tired alot and get constant tension headaches particularly on the left side.

I want off but it will take 2 years to reduce at 10% every 4 weeks. Im not sure if it is causing my symptoms but i feel my life is on hold.

• Posted

Not sure. I think it may help me sleep but hard to tell. I was so unwell when i first went on them i do not remember much. I think the venlaflaxine helps.
    • Posted

Thanks for your story Sarah. 

Can I ask, what is Venlaflaxine, and is it something commonly used with MIrtaz?

• Posted

It is an SNRI and it is often used with mirt for major depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.