Nearly 3 years of Mirtaz made things worse

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys. 

Just wanted to start by saying that these forums are fantastic for making you feel like you're not alone on this journey. So thanks to everyone who has shared their story. I've been reading them for a while on here and decided to sign up. 

This is my personal story. 

I was put on Mirtazapine about two and a half years ago (at some point in early 2015) for anxiety and slight depression. I felt like I was struggling a lot in social situations, sweating a lot, and having a general feeling of panic. I saw a GP and she prescribed this to me as a 'light soother' or something along those lines. I know it's my responsibility to read things, but I was stupid and started taking it without a second thought. The GP didn't describe the side effects etc at all and I didn't ask. I guess I was desperate for some relief. 

Anyone, to not go on too much, the short story is that Mirtazapine 15mg made my anxiety and depression significantly worse. I only started getting full on panic attacks after I started taking Mirtaz and I feel into a deep depression with serious suicidal ideation after about a year of being on it. Here's the stupid thing, even after these episodes, my doctors tried other anti-depressants, and I hated them so they told me to stay on Mirtaz. And I did, and things got slightly better as more time went on, but I absolutely hated the way it made me feel. Tired, drowsy, pale, lack of energy, honestly it's been pretty horrible. 

So I this year I decided to go off it. The problem is when I go off it I get terrible IBS. So I've fluctuated on and off for about 3 months. Now I'm at the point where I am convinced I need to get off it, so I've decided to tough out the IBS - try natural remedies etc - and get off this awful drug. 

Today I woke up after taking it late last night, and I felt absolutely dreadful. Depersonalised, headaches, nightmares, tight throat, etc etc. I haven't done anything because of how s**t I feel today, so it's taking it's toll. 

I know that other people have experienced similar things, and I'm just wondering if anyone felt better after being on it for years and then stopping? And whether anyone had these intense reactions to Mirtaz?

I should also mention that I'm in a much better headspace now than when I went on the pill. Much more positive and hopeful, so I think it's a good time to get off. 

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been off the Mirt for 4 days and I think I'm doing pretty well. Early days, I know. 

But I'm eating really well and exercising, keeping my mind busy to try and distract from the withdrawals. Nights are the worst at the moment. I think I only got about 4 hours sleep last night... ugh... Going to start meditating before bed and using lavender oil like Barbara suggested. 

Gotta sweat this drug out of me!

• Posted

Eating well exercising and keeping your mind busy!!!  All good! As we know meds aren’t the whole answer well done you!
  • Posted

Hi joe 

i have to agree with you I was on mirtazapine for 16 months on different doses and they were the most awful med I've been given

i kept telling my doc theyr were making me feel worse but doc insisted to keep using my dose 

id all the side effects from them

so I'm now of them 11wks the withdrawals were horrific but least now I'm off mirt ,il never ever touch another one of them tabs in my life...

i don't know what the bloody hell they do to your brain but for me they surely fried my brain...

goodness only knows how long these withdrawls last!!!

Best wishes to everyone on the withdrawl of mirt

kaz

• Posted

Hi Kaz sounds really tough! You know what they say when you’re going THROUGH 

a tough time.... just keep going, you will come through!! And be kind to yourself Kaz taking any support you’re offered.

• Posted

Hi Barbara 

im feeling not too bad now so I'm hopefully over the worse of withdrawals but as you know they can pop up anytime...

just really makes me so annoyed when docs keep saying no withdrawals,we know our own body and minds..

im just so glad to be free from that hateful drug,never did I suffer from anixety until I was put on mirtazapine 

im now back on my old antidepressants which doc took me off last last yr in May as he said they'd no longer working as I'd been on them too long (even tho I told him him I felt fine so they had to be working)

anyway what's done is done now it just annoys me so much that mirtazapine has stole almost 2yrs of my life... I was on mirt 16months and off them coming 3 months so really 19months I've felt awful...

i just a day at at a time try and keep positive and keep telling myself it can't last forever

are you on or withdrawls from mirt ?

kaz

• Posted

It continues to surprise me how Mirt affects different people in different ways. So important to find the right one . Take care.
    • Posted

Barbara 

i knew nothing about mirtazapine was wondering why I felt so never once did I put it down to the meds until my dose was upped then lowered that's when I found this site, as you say it's crazy how it different for person to person

kaz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.