Neck,back pain and headaches constantly

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i hurt my back at work a year ok from lifting things that were too heavyfor me. I got  repetitive strain injury and the muscles in my neck  became inflamed. i had 12 sessions of Physio on the NHS. My neck felf fine as long as i do no excercise or lifting. as soon as i began doing excercise again i ened up back at square one with the neck pain,dizzyness,headaches earaches. I have had 3 sessions with an ostoepath he said that my back was completedl locked. He cracked my back nexk and hips and although i did feel the relief i am now back to square one again. If i walk more than a few miles or try and do any excercise i get all the horrible symtoms back. i have put on half a stone in 4 months and i cant do any excercise at all so that is adding to my misery. I have no idea what is wrong with my back or what to do about it. I am contemplating doing yoga but i have no idea if that would be good for me or make the symptoms worse. Any advice would be much appreciated thank you x

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I am new to this site. I have had chronic neck pain for years and have just had an MRI showing several disc bulges at C4,5,6,7 plus T1-2 to T3-4 . The report is full of words I know little about, have googled but still a bit in the dark.  All I know is I am in constant pain, headaches which don't go away, my neck and shoulder cracks and pops audibly and it makes me feel at times like a real moaner but when it's there the minute you wake and even wakes me most nights it is rather trying!!! My Dr has given me Gabaprentin 300mg to take 3 times daily...took 1 first day and won't take anymore I felt spaced out and fell asleep!! Only thing I find that works is Paracetemol , Ibuprofen, and 30mg Codeine. I was sent to works Physio who gave me 3 sessions of torture before I stopped and insisted I had the MRI. I had an MRI nearly 6yrs ago which did show 2 small disc bulges, physio did not help then and I had 6 courses of acupuncture which was marvellous. I do think the physio this time has made my pain much worse. If anyone  is able to offer any advice as to what I should try I would be so grateful. Many thanks. Caroline
  • Posted

As promised I said I would update on my progress with low level laser therapy.

I started seeing a physio who uses the laser along with other tools.

Im on my 5th week now, the first 3 sessions i had the laser and now weve moved onto accupuncture and manipulation.

Well as of the moment I can say it hasnt worked for me, the laser didnt do anything, week 4 when i had accupuncture and manipulation i thought i had lots of improvement and was super excited that things were helping however week 5 accupuncture and manipulation again i am back in lots of pain and stiffness and feeling really bad.

week 5 i was feeling great prior to seeing him but straight after i felt bad and have done since then which is 6 days. I also got tingling in my face in new places after last session which luckily have gone now but that was a bit scary weird. Im seeing him again tomorrow and hoping he can undo last session but i am losing faith as i was hoping to see at least a marginal improvement.

So to sum it up, i can not at this moment in time reccomend low level laser therapy nor can i reccomend manipulation or even accupuncture.

Sorry the outcome wasnt more positive.

• Posted

Hi Charlotte,

I'm so disappointed that low level laser therapy didn't help you and I can only appologise for getting your hopes up.

I do hope you find the relief you deserve

john

• Posted

Hi John,

No need to apologise, i didnt get my hopes up, i was hopeful but not blinded by hope, its all worth a try and it may be helpful to some people so its not something to rule out completely, just my personal experience with my stupid neck!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback,  and sorry it didn't work out.  So, it's one for,  and one against,  as it stands.  I'd also be against,  because it doesn't make sense to me to treat the muscle,  where the nerve is the problem.  Simple equation really...Which comes first...the nerve or the muscle ?  Can't help but wonder what the effect  of laser on a nerve might be...if there's potential there for lasting damage.  After all,  the nerve operates by means of electrical neurons....are they vulnerable to laser interference ?
  • Posted

Only just come across this chat. Ive read bits and skimmed bits. My story is that i was involved in car crash, side impact, about 8 years ago, and have had pain and severe migraine type things ever since, with the slightest of movement causing a flare.

I wanted to post about a condition that I recently came across that explains my migraines to a T....head on prongs feeling, numbness/tingling, dizziness, nausea, light and sound sensitivity, electric current pulsating feeling, being beaten across the head, hot poker shoved through from the base of the skull through to the eye/cheek area, pain radiating from the base of the skull to about mid way up the head, then along by the ears and into the eye/forehead/cheek, even teeth area, also have electric shock type feeling, ear ringing/pain/throbbing, and possibly other weird symptoms.

One post on here described symptoms very similar to this, so, the condition is:

OCCIPITAL NEURALGIA

There is also the trigeminal nerve, which could explain the facial pain/numbness, and the vestibular nerve which could explain the ear/dizzyness issues.

I hope this information helps someone...im still waiting for the exact diagnosis (so far they've only diagnosed neuralgic type migraines, which in my opinion is not specific enough for the more targeted treatment hence me persevering). Treatment options for this condition are quite scary (steroid injections have a short term relief for me, so i maybe looking at an operation), but im sure you would all agree, any option is a better option, rather than being lost in hope and pain.

Good luck all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.