Neck pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi did anyone have neck pain at the base of their neck at the back of neck/top of spine? My pain seems to of moved from the side of my neck to there? Really uncomfortable! Does anyone know why this is?? Thanks.

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Poppy,

You really have been through it, goodness really hope these awful pains settle down. I think the virus can cause all sorts of weird aches and pains, just about every area of the body seems to be covered from people's posts on the forum so nothing seems off the cards! Always wise to check with your doctor of course if getting pain, really hoping this settles and believing fully in your recovery still!

Craig

• Posted

Yes....and mine radiates up in to my ears too.
    • Posted

Mine too have you been the docs about it i want a scan on mine? 
    • Posted

I also fee like my neck is tight/achey and i need to click it everyday now? sad
    • Posted

Hi Poppy,

Is it different from the glands in your neck? I know I had a real problem with one particular gland in my neck, just below by jaw and ear. I had an ultrasound and the doc said it was just a reactive gland and was normal as part of the mono, and it did go away.

Hoping that whatever is causing this horrible pain settles, and thinking about you and still believing you are going to get better, truly I believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Yes I feel that, but I also have one bulging disc and one ruptured disc just where you’re talking about.  It feels like there’s a bump there and uncomfortable.  The two discs haven’t caused pain in the neck before, it’s always been radicular (down my arm), so I guess this must be another symptom to add to the list of EBV/CMV symptoms.
    • Posted

Have you been the docs about it i want a scan on mine?
    • Posted

If so have they told you it will heal with time? Or is physio needed? I feel like im not getting anywhere?
    • Posted

Oh goodness Amanda really empathising with you having a disc bulge in my lower back and pain over the last year - it has been terrible and if you have been going through this at the same time as mono I really just pray things improve Amanda - thinking about you and believeing God will bring recovery. It's so tough I know words can't describe - hang in there and you will get through this absolutely I believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Yes Poppy, I was involved in a rear end car accident in 2003, so I’ve known about it since then.  I also have a bulge at L5/S1 (lumbar).  When I first became sick, I lost all strength in my legs and I thought the L5/S1 was the problem, but again, it seems it’s the viruses that have caused the problem.  My strength is coming back in the legs (whew).  Unfortunately, the neck bulges/rupture haven’t resolved and I’ve learned to live with it.  It’s not as bad as it was when it first happened but after particular activities or during winter it does flare up. Strangely, you do get used to the pain, but this EBV/CMV pain, I just can’t get used to, it keeps changing to different areas of the body and with the other symptoms (blurry vision, fatigue, enlarged lymph glands etc) it all gets a bit much sometimes.  I keep hanging on to the hope that it will resolve in time and I am blessed that I don’t have to go out and work like others here in the forum, so I am able to rest a lot.  I had an MRI last week to check the neck and they haven’t changed since 2003 other than I have now started to get age related disc desiccation and the facets are showing wear, but that isn’t causing the neck pain, that’s the virus(es).
    • Posted

Goodness Amanda, you've had such a terriblet ime reading your story. My back pain has only been for the last year which has felt like an eternity, for you to have to deal with it for so long must be awful. I do still believe things can improve and get better for, I really really do and praying for God to bring healing in your life today. You deserve a good break Amanda, better times are ahead I truly believe hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hi craig/amanda

Im soo confusedl right now!! Whats virus and whats not!! So far im waiting of a physio app which could take a couple of months sad to see if its anything to do with my muscles? My doc felt around my neck and said she couldnt feel any nodes so it must be muscular? But the pain is moving around from the side of my neck/back of neck/top of spine and sometimes in to my jaw/ear? Its so strange i really just want a solution to this like everyone else on this forum! How long have you had it for amanda? Mine started in the side and hasnt really properly shifted since feb! X

• Posted

My bloods showed past infection back in feb?? 
    • Posted

Hi Poppy,

Oh I know the more you think about it all the harder it seems to work out, I do understand that feeling Poppy - just really hoping these horrible symptoms settle down for you. You've did the right thing by getting checked with the doc and that's all you can do really. Maybe some anti-inflammatory herbs like turmeric, garlic or white willow bark can help with pain and tension in the back and neck, it might be worth a try.

I know you must be so weary Poppy, I do understand your frustration. I'm still standing in belief that you are going to get better, hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Hoping also Poppy you don't have to wait too long for a physio appointment - I know it's a pain but even might be worth a private physio to save you a wait (I know it's a pain and can be expensive though).

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.