Neck pain and AWFUL headaches for 2 weeks after chiro?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi there, does anyone have any idea what might have happened to me?

2 weeks ago I was advised to go and see a chiropractor for a shoulder problem I was having.  He said he thought I had a trapped nerve in the C7 region. I said I only wanted conservative treatment so he used the adjustor (the little device that clicks and knocks agains your skin if you've seen one) down my neck to try and shift the nerve.  

When I got up from the table, I felt a woosh of heat and a throbbing pain at the back of my skull.  My whole head felt pressurised and my neck was very stiff.  The next day i had the same feeling, as though someone had punched me in the head and feeling dizzy etc.

Now it's two weeks later and no better.  The pain travels from the base of my skull and is like a stabbing behind my eye.

I should mention this is all on the left hand side.  I had to go to a and e it was so bad at one point and after basic tests they said I had just strained my neck and to take naproxin.  This is NOT a neck strain!  The head pressure is like a dull feeling over my whole head but particularly at the C1 area and behind my eye and is constant but ranges from tolerable to unbarable.  

My chiro said I must just have a sensitive neck..

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?  I'm totally open to all ideas from anyone!  Could it be that he somehow moved a nerve which is now causing optical neuralgia maybe?

Thanks for any responses!  

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

If you have insurance please see a neurologist, you really need further testing .... Mri....
  • Posted

Jennifer,

It’s been a long time since you posted and pray you’ve been completely healed.

My message is for you and anyone else complaining of these issues. My neck and spine was manipulated 7 years ago and experienced the same exact thing. It’s taken me 7 painful years to find the cure, but I’ve found it and want to share. My hope is that people will help spread the word and that many would be healed from this debilitating sickness. What you experienced was a micro tear(s) in the dura. Dura mater, or dura, is a thick membrane that is the outermost of the three layers of the meninges that surround the brain and spinal cord. This tear causes an immediate depressurization and begins leaking cerebral spinal fluid. The pain and headache you feel is orthostatic. Meaning it goes away after some time or immediately  when laying down and comes on when supine (standing up). Over time things will get worse as your brain will begin to sag. This sagging causes traction and a new whole host of issues involving your pituitary gland. 

There’s good news and bad news. The goods news is that there’s an easy fix, the bad news is that most of today’s medical field either doesn’t have experience or will ignore you as most patients do not present “typical” cerebral spinal fluid leak that a post partum mother would after having an epidural. 

Please watch Dr Ian Carroll’s (Stanford Medical Center) video on CSF leaks and how they can be fixed. 

Then please share with your family and friends. Spread the word on social media because they’re so many people in pain from this horrible illness.

Feel free to ask me any questions. 

I pray all that have suffered from this debilitating illness get healed and then help others to do the same. 

Be well and God Bless,

Saggy Brain (Jonathan)

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi

How are you doing now? I suffer the exact same thing after a chiropractor neck adjustment, it has been two months without any improvement. I really need help or advice, thanks!!!

• Posted

Hi, It's been two weeks after my neck adjustment and I am still sore, achy and in pain. Does your head feel pressurized and woozy. I thought things would improve but things have been worser than before. I only got adjusted once, I'm too traumatized scared to even consider being adjusted again.

I hope you had some improvement, I'm praying that this issue doesn't linger on for months.

• Posted

Hi

I am sorry you also suffer from this. Yes, my head feel lots of pressure and woozy all the time, especially in front computer. It's also my FIRST EVER chiro adjustment, and he completely ruined my life. I am seeing PT now, but the help is minimal. I only feel better when I laying on the bed. Otherwise, I am 24/7 woozy. I plan to have MRI and MRA check next week, apparently, he did something wrong around my neck. I NEVER had any neck pain before this. Also let me know if you find a way to go through this, I am desperate now!

• Posted

oh, i also notice more cracking and grinding sound in my neck, do you also have that?
    • Posted

Yes, the rice crispy crackling and grinding. Physical therapy helps but not alot. Been doing hot and cold pads. Probably going to try getting a massage and see what happens.
    • Posted

Neck pain has been unbearable for me this week. The sharp stabbing pain behind my neck is killing me. The painkiller is not working at all. Try cold pad and hot pads, not working. so much pain !!!!!
    • Posted

Last night the pain was getting to be much so I took 800mg of ibuprofen, it helped but didn't cured it.

I know spraying magnesium oil on it helps a bit or even taking a epsom salt bath also.

Hope you feel a little better.

• Posted

I took muscle relaxer, and finally fell asleep. I woke up with 95% of pain went away. The head pressure is still there, but a little bit better with much rest. Hope we both get better day by day.
    • Posted

Hi it has been a few weeks, i hope you feel better!

I had my MRI /MRA on my brain and neck done, only showed degeneration in C6/C7. Doctor think it's not the cause of my problem. I found out that my sternocleidomastoid muscle is very tight and sometimes I feel sore around that SCM muscle. I think that's my problem. I will keep on trying to release that muscle.

• Posted

Have you found any releif? My head neck and back hurt way worse after a chiropractor 2 months ago. Now my jaw even hurts. They also said my muscles wont stop spasming is the issue. They are very tight. They weren't before i wentsad muscle relaxers help but i cant live on them the pain has taken over my life. I dont do anything. I have been to so many drs who cant find the issue.

• Posted

Have you been checked for TMJ? I found out that I grind and chlench my teeth at night. That’s why I jaw hurts along with my neck and back pain. I got a night guard and it’s like night and day!! It takes a month to get used to it but it’s worth it! 
    • Posted

I did yes went to 2 tmj places. I have been to so many drs since. They said im fine. My dr said ill get u a night guard but i dont think it will help as i see no evidence. I dis buy it though incase. It has not helped at all.
  • Posted

I too am experiencing the same thing after adjustment with the tool.  It’s been 3 months.  MRI normal.  I am living on muscle relaxers going through therapy and my neck muscles will still not contracting which causes headaches. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.