Neck pain and AWFUL headaches for 2 weeks after chiro?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi there, does anyone have any idea what might have happened to me?

2 weeks ago I was advised to go and see a chiropractor for a shoulder problem I was having.  He said he thought I had a trapped nerve in the C7 region. I said I only wanted conservative treatment so he used the adjustor (the little device that clicks and knocks agains your skin if you've seen one) down my neck to try and shift the nerve.  

When I got up from the table, I felt a woosh of heat and a throbbing pain at the back of my skull.  My whole head felt pressurised and my neck was very stiff.  The next day i had the same feeling, as though someone had punched me in the head and feeling dizzy etc.

Now it's two weeks later and no better.  The pain travels from the base of my skull and is like a stabbing behind my eye.

I should mention this is all on the left hand side.  I had to go to a and e it was so bad at one point and after basic tests they said I had just strained my neck and to take naproxin.  This is NOT a neck strain!  The head pressure is like a dull feeling over my whole head but particularly at the C1 area and behind my eye and is constant but ranges from tolerable to unbarable.  

My chiro said I must just have a sensitive neck..

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?  I'm totally open to all ideas from anyone!  Could it be that he somehow moved a nerve which is now causing optical neuralgia maybe?

Thanks for any responses!  

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I seen a osteopath over 3 years ago for tennis elbow. I've never had neck injuries or headache in my life. He manipulated my neck and 2 days later I ended up in hospital. With massive headache. I couldn't move my neck. I've suffererd bad daily headaches and neck pain for the last 3 years since. My pain doctor has tried everything to find the problem. All scans clear, I've tried nerve ablations to facets c2,c3,c4 I've done nerve ablations to c2 and c3. I still have headaches and head pain. I never had this problem before seeing the neck cracker.

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

• Posted

Now i am worried that I am going thru the same thing . I have daily headaches. Before it was normal stress headache here and there and sometimes migraines . But not daily Headache. Any updates ?
    • Posted

My husband hasn't worked for the last 3 months because of neck manipulation - we're seeking legal advice as he didn't even go to him with a neck problem!

• Posted

hi Rob, please try this, try to pull you thumb steady pressure for at least 1 minute, then try to slowly twist it back and forth. do it also on the rest of the fingers and the other hand, but concentrate on the thumb always, when you wake up before moving try to also do it slowly bu firmly, please let me know what you feel after doing it. 
    • Posted

Hi gailehughes ,

I was wondering how your husband is going? I too went to a chiropractor for my hip pain however she said my neck was far more problem and then manipulated it my neck has never been the same since and that was in 2015. I had a job that I loved but no more as I can't work interested to see how his pain is. I also suffered terrible headaches and terrible jaw pain.

• Posted

Donna i kmow this was a while ago post. Idk if you will respond but are you still having this issue? I had a neck manipulation and this was a cpuple months ago. I am in unbearavle pain in neck and jaw now since. It is so painful i can't function. No drs can figure it out. Mris ct nothing shows.

• Posted

I've had chronic neck pain since I injured my neck taking a Body Pump class at the gym and recently tried a hemp based CBD salve.  I was really skeptical about buying it but I felt like I was taking too much Advil and it was bothering my stomach.  The salve actually worked.  Susan's CBD.  It seemed to help the most if I put a heating pad on it first and then applied the salve.    

• Posted

my husband has been taking CBD oil/paste and using CBD balm and it's only taking the edge off the pain, yet I take the oil for herniated lumbar discs and get better relief - which salve are you using?

• Posted

I went to a chiropractor about four weeks ago and he went to town on my neck and did three adjustments on me.  A physical cracking of my neck, then two adjustments with his adjusting tool that feels like a jackhammer. By the time I got home I felt a headache coming on and then my back and neck became stiff and very sore. The next morning I had to travel out of town so I couldn't see him that week. When I got back I went to him and told him the adjustment did not agree with me, but he just ignored me and asked me if I was doing my exercises. I had a headache all that week I was gone. He did another adjustment and I started To feel better but then it came back again.  He worked on me again with the massager and light adjustment, but I am not better.  It scares me this will be with me a long time. 

• Posted

hi

please try this, try to pull you thumb steady pressure for at least 1 minute, then try to slowly twist it back and forth. do it also on the rest of the fingers and the other hand, but concentrate on the thumb always, when you wake up before moving try to also do it slowly bu firmly, please let me know what you feel after doing it. 

• Posted

My husband went to a chiro 3 months ago for lumbar sciatica - he adjusted his neck twice, both times hurt, and the second adjustment, because it didn't click his neck, he did it again using more force - my husband hasn't worked since!  The pain was excruciating - head neck shoulders chest. He slept for several days upright because the pain was too bad when he laid down.  He could hardly open his mouth to eat. He's been on heavy meds ever since.  Physiotherapy have refused to treat him.  There is a slight improvement, but I can't see him going back to work any time soon.

• Posted

hi Gaile

please try this,

try to pull you thumb steady pressure for at least 1 minute, then try to slowly twist it back and forth. do it also on the rest of the fingers and the other hand, but concentrate on the thumb always, when you wake up before moving try to also do it slowly bu firmly, please let me know what you feel after doing it. 

• Posted

Hello repair,54218,

I find your suggestion very interesting. Is it based on any energetic or neuroloical connection?

I'm looking forward to your answer.

Jan

• Posted

This happened to me too, I went for treatment for sciatica. It has been 10 weeks now and the pain in my head has not improved at all. I am waiting for the results of an MRI. I never had any head or neck pain before. If it was as simple as a pulled muscle, I assume after 10 weeks it would be better by now. Has you husbands condition improved yet ? 
    • Posted

Same thing happened to me 1 year ago & still suffering. After MRI & cats can & going to osteopath, found out My neck spasmed after a trapezius strain from chiro adjustment which caused muscle knots to form in neck & in between shoulder & neck. After getting dry needling it helped a little & started moving more. Massage very lightly helped to for tight muscles. Still in pain but 50% better. I hope some of this info helps you. I pray everyone gets better soon chronic pain takes a toll on your body & mind.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.