Need advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Rick. I'm a 44 yr old male. Been very fatigued, chills in my extremities, gaining weight with not eating much, and anxiety which I have anyway. Had blood work done and results came back for abnormal levels. 4.3 dr said. He wants to wait 3 more weeks for another test to rule out false result. Question is should I wait and tolerate these symptoms or seek second opinion. Had symptoms about 5 months. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in adavance

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Rick, Though it's miserable having these symptoms it is probably worth waiting 3 weeks. In UK at the lab my GP uses, the TSH range is 0.4-4.9.

Less than 0.4 and you're classed as having a hyperactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), more than 4.9 and you're classed as having a hypoactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).

As you can see your result was at the high end of normal. My view is that your doctor is taking a good approach by retesting in 3 weeks time. This second blood test will tell you three things (1) if your TSH is in range or not, (2) how quickly it is changing, (3) in which direction it is going. So for example, if it came back as 4.7, although this is in range, it is moving towards being out of range and even though it is still in range your doctor might well decide to treat you for hypothyroidism and start you on 25mcg of thyroxine. All (?) you've got to do is put up with 3 more weeks (and I know how difficult that can be). Ideas to help: do the minimum you can get away with (but if you're working, don't get fired! - it might help to explain to your boss how you feel and what the doc said); get loads of sleep 12+ hours a night; and eat as healthily as you can even though you are probably craving starchy, sugary foods.

It is a good idea to ask for a printout of your blood test results. This will show you what the range is for your lab. Hang in there!

• Posted

Thank you so much. I panicked which is normal for me with an anxiety disorder when they told me it was abnormal. I'm also very impatient so I think I need treatment immediately. But you're right on the money. I just need to be patient and follow doctors orders. Work is light duty and just limit what I do and eat better. He's says if it comes back abnormal he'll treat it with medication. Thanks for the encouragement šŸ˜€
    • Posted

vPANIC.I have a first class honours degree in panic. In my case itis one of the severe signs and symptoms that and depression.

Ā just hope that I do not have cancer of the thyroid and that some kind surgeon will remove this nodules/nodules.

I cannot wait to start a treatment that will alleviate these dreasdful signs and symptoms. We just have to keep hanging on in there. Jean

• Posted

You're welcome! Your GP sounds a really good one and very supportive. All the best.
    • Posted

Yeah anxiety and depression have hounded me the last 17 years. When do you start your treatment?
    • Posted

Hi Rick, I'm pleased to hear you are being looked after and have a further blood test in 3 weeks time - this is how I was diagnosed as my tosh was increasing gradually and I was finally treated for hypo when my tsh was 8.2 and my free T4 was 11.6. I agree with Barbara's response to you and I actually have osteoarthritis and degenerative disc disease, high bp and cholesterol, hypothyroid, CFS and fibromyalgia so have been battling on for quite a few years now lol. It is nice to have other people to talk to who understand what we are going through as at times it can become very frustrating. Take care, Paula
    • Posted

wow you have all that and I'm complaining about a few symptoms. I hope you're doing ok that's a lot. My bp has been up lately and my cholesterol is high too. So I need to make some changes and be patient for this next test. You are all awesome. Im so glad I joined this forum. Anxiety relief for sure
    • Posted

Hi Rick

I see the endocrine surgeon on June 12 so have not yet started any treatment. I have multinodular goitre so will probably need an ultraa sound scan f the thyroid plus biopsy.

I am not putting up with this so will hunt around until I find someone who is prepared to remove the nodule(s) irrpective of their size.

he anxiety and depression started in December 2013 following severe headaches, perspiring profusely, everything went worse followwing the prescribing of three aantibiotics at the same time this resulted in peripheral neuropathy.

Kind regards

JeanĀ 

• Posted

Hi Jean, I hope your appt goes well and you're able to find someone to treat you quickly and effectively. Please stay in contact and update me on your progress if you have time. I started with panic attacks and that led to depression. I've had 3 bouts of it over the years sprinkled in with generalized anxiety. I take meds for it but haven't had any benzodiazepines for about 10 months. But these symptoms don't help my anxiety at all.
    • Posted

Hi Rick

Thank you.

I feel sick woth worry about the multinodular goitre . I have a pain in my left It may not be connected to the multinodular goitre.

goitre.

Ā hope that it is just muscular pain.

Jean x

• Posted

I'm sorry you're worried so much. Seems we both share that too. Hopefully it's just muscular pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Rick. I feel gutted especially with the death of my brother on May 24. The reaction to his passing is just sinking in. Sorry to be so negative.

Anyway thank you for your support. Tomorrow I may feel slightly better and not so depresssed.

Kind regards

JeanĀ 

Ā 

• Posted

Oh goodness Jean I'm so sorry for your loss. And I'm here complaining cuz I don't feel good. I hope tomorrow finds you feeling a bit better physically and emotionally. I'll be on here if you ever need to vent. If I don't reply quickly I'm either at work or sleeping which I'm doing a bunch of lately .
    • Posted

Thanks Rick.

Don't feel guilty. This thyroid business is no joke and it is the worst conddition that has ever happened to me in terms of the multiple signs and symptoms especially the anxiety and depression. I feel gutted because I have been fobbed off by drs for at least 18 months when with the correct investigations something could have been done to alleviaate the terrible signs and symptoms. Someone dewscribed this as a nightmare and it is.

Unless anyone has actually been thru this personally then they cannot possibly have the slightest idea of the extent of the devastating effect that this thyroid disorder has on a person.

I have never experienced anything like this in my life.

Thanks once again for your kind words and understanding.

Jean Ā 

• Posted

Hi Barbara

I have been craving starchy, sweet foods. I understand this is due to gluten intolerance. Is it also due to subclinical hyperthyroidism plus twenty nodules on the thyroid. I would be grateful for your advice. Many thanks

jean

• Posted

Hi jean, I'm not very knowledgeable about gluten intolerance. There are two things I'm aware of that cause cravings for starchy/sweet foods. Firstly, thyroid problems and secondly, depression. Try again with your gGP and ask what can be done about the thyroid nodules an blood test results. If your last set of NHS blood test results was more than 6 weeks ago it is worth asking your GP to do them again TSH, T4, T3 would be good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.