Need advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, my name is Rick. I'm a 44 yr old male. Been very fatigued, chills in my extremities, gaining weight with not eating much, and anxiety which I have anyway. Had blood work done and results came back for abnormal levels. 4.3 dr said. He wants to wait 3 more weeks for another test to rule out false result. Question is should I wait and tolerate these symptoms or seek second opinion. Had symptoms about 5 months. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in adavance

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ideas for things you can do to kickstart your metabolism are: have a hot bath; exercise (it's the last thing you'll want to do, but if you can make yourself do it, you'll feel better - even if it's just a short walk. Swimming works well for me.
    • Posted

PS Exercise is also good for anxiety! I found swimming great because I could do it on my own, it supports my body weight so put less strain on my joints and it is an exercise that gives the whole body a workout.
    • Posted

Barbara Have you tried yoga? One of the worst aspects of this condition is stiff muscles and painful joints. I hate going to bed because I know I will wake up in pain with stiffness. Why is this though?

I can't stand it.

Jean

• Posted

Yeah Dr is great. I have chronic back pain from years of construction and he's been so patient with me trying different meds and therapy. I just gotta hang on. I also feel kinda spacey too is that a symptom?
    • Posted

Hi jean, yes i like both yoga and pilates. I like the teachers who dumb it down without making it obvious!
    • Posted

Yes, feeling spaced out is a symptom. So is feeling as though part of you is still asleep when you're awake, and inability to think clearly (aka brain fog) and process information you see and hear (aka cognitive impairment) - and before you start worrying, this all goes away when you are being treated and are on the correct dose!
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara. With anxiety disorder I can think of a million things that might be wrong with me in 5 seconds so hearing you say that calms me down. Just trying to not let it consume me and wait for my next blood work in a few weeks.
  • Posted

Hello Rick: 

My name is Shelly and I am an RN and I live in the USA.

The thyroid does many functions:

1) Regulates Metabolism

2) Regulates Temp. in the body

3) regulates weight balance

4) Works with other glands in the body

5) Regulates Energy levels and Keeps mental function good.

Now symptoms of a low thyroid are: Gaining weight, Feeling COLD, being foggy or confused at times, sleepy, tired a lot, muscle aches and pains.

If your level is low you will need thyroid replacement meds, and they have many of them.  I think you said you live in the USA, so either get a referal from your primary GP doctor (Internal Medicine doc), to see an Endocrinologist.  I also have Thyroid disease and have a form of it called Hashimoto's. 

Thyroid disease can be a family trait, and you may have it in your family. Men do get it, but mostly it hits women.

If you had Diabetes you would not be cold, and you would be drinking lot's of water and urinating a lot.  They can do a Fasting Blood Glucose level and rule that out. 

You can live a happy life with this it is hard at first, but many of us have had it a long while.

Some tests (Blood work) are TSH Thyroid Stimualting Horomone,to  T3 & T4 levels which they will order to check the 2 horomone levels it makes.

CBC -complete Blood count RBC's & WBC's.   Mineral panel, sodium, potassium, Vit D and Magnesium.

So please see your GP and ask for a referal to an Endocrinologist. In the USA a GP can order the above Blood Work.

I hope this helps - please feel free to ask any questions you have.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly , thank you for the reply. I have a repeat test in 3 weeks and my GP said he will treat with meds if abnormal. In the meantime I'm researching so I know the right questions to ask at next appt and joining these forums for support and knowledge. I'll keep you all updated.😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.