Need advice for flare - what foods to eat?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been in a flare for over a week with diarrhea and blood, and sweating in the early mornings (when bowels are on the move). I know everybody's food tolerances are different but is there anything anybody can recommend regarding food. I am trying to stick to the low res diet but everything seems to hurt at the moment. For example, if you eat pasta, which I can, then how would you cook it? With a cheese sauce perhaps?

I'm also losing too much weight, too quickly.

I've had Crohn's Disease for 14 years and been on steroids for just about as long. This is the first time I have had to put them up to 20mg in about 18 months. I really don't want to end up in hospital again. Usually when I end up in hospital and don't have to worry about the food issue!

I just joined the forum today and already found it so helpful with other Crohn's issues.smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please tell me what is the name of the steroids you are taking? I am having Entocort but it seems doesnt work just had a flare yesterdsay.

• Posted

Hi, I'm on Prednisolone and Pentasa and have been for 14 years now, although mostly very low doses on and off for the last couple of years. Maybe you could change your steroids?

• Posted

Sounds horrible and I'm thinking maybe you should discuss taking a liquid diet with your doctor. Modulen IBD is excellent and will give you all the nutrients you need and give you and your bowel a rest. It's not easy but the results speak for themselves. It has been a life saver for me over the last 20 years.

Good luck and hope you get a reprieve from it all soon

Hannah

• Posted

That's a good idea, it would give my bowels a rest, which I feel is what I need right now. I'll speak to my doctor tomorrow and see what they can offer me! Cheers

• Posted

Hi patricia, as you said all are different but following my recent flare and being told my crohns is now steroids reliant asked about alternative therapy as weight gain extreme following last 12 month course. That's why now on methotrexate and although is said it's toxic side effects not much different from steroids if used long term. Diet as you asked both myself and older sister suffer and do not eat anything with skin or pips or seeds and definitely not nuts unless through nutri bullet.

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear your going through what we all hate. Ive been going through mine since May - however as for diet ive been eating things like mash potatoes, toast with jam, noodles and chicken cup soup (good to give your guts a rest) all very bland foods (apart from the soup) and very liquidy. I cant tolerate milk at the moment so giving that a miss, but taking small bites and chewing very well!

Im now on Infliximab which still haven't stopped my flare but then ive only had 2 infusions, im surprised your only on 20mg steriods, i used to have to start with 40mg and taper down. I just cant tolerate them anymore.

I hope you find some relief soon. ?

• Posted

Do you use any digestive enzyme? If you do what brand? Anyone here using Herbal digestive and what brand, One of the person told me the name but I forget to write down on my notebook I use BEANO but it doesnt really work and I am worrying about the chemical they use in the tablet. I want to change to Herbal instead.
    • Posted

No I haven't used any before but it's something I will look into. Feel worse today, mostly no energy and shaky in the mornings probably low blood sugar. Waiting for home visit from doctor.

• Posted

Well off work today myself. Methotrexate making me vomit so been in contact with consultant been told to stop.. New treatment plan needed. Know how it can get you down Patricia let's hope doc comes through for you...

• Posted

I hope they work out a good treatment plan for you soon, it's such a horrible desease.

Doc's just gone. He said it's probably low blood sugar because I'm not eating properly. He wrote me a prescription for some more Ensure juice drinks, not good with the milk ones, and took blood tests. He also checked my pulse, temperature and blood pressure and all were fine. I'll get the blood results by end of week.

• Posted

Hi Julie & Patrica. i think methotrexate is an immunosuppressant isn't it? there is another immunosuppressant drug they definately use in ulcerative colitis & i am not 100% sure if they use for crohns - but it may be worth you both looking into - perhaps the crohns & colitis helpline might be able to tell you? it's called 6mercaptopurine & is supposed to be more tolerable/less side effects than the other immunosuppressants. In Patricia's case - might be worth asking your consultant about as a long term alternative treatment to prednisolone. Hope this info helps ladies & i wish you both get well soon. xxx

• Posted

You too Patricia. Hope results come back ok. Good to talk to others in same position. Keep your chin up.
    • Posted

Thanks looloo. Waiting for appointment with consultant to be brought forward so will discuss.
    • Posted

Thanks for that looloo. My consultant did mention Humira, which I am really not keen on - too many scary stories! Still, it might come to that yet, but I'll certainly have a talk with him about other options.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

the he safest food to eat I find is white fish. I agree with pasta what sauce is debatable.  Hard cheese is not recommended but a soft cheese is o.k.  I have bought the packet type that had a cheese sauce with no ill effect.I find I can eat curry which might seem strange so curry with rice is o.k.  Some of my meals might not pass an experts test but I eat what agrees with my tum.  I also hate cooking.

i have thought it a good idea if we on the forum got together and made a two week menu.

chris

• Posted

That's sounds like a plan. At the moment I need to figure out just what I can eat because it's the worst flare I've had since the beginning. But a new discussion on a menu and/or recipes would interest a lot of people here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.