Need advice for flare - what foods to eat?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been in a flare for over a week with diarrhea and blood, and sweating in the early mornings (when bowels are on the move). I know everybody's food tolerances are different but is there anything anybody can recommend regarding food. I am trying to stick to the low res diet but everything seems to hurt at the moment. For example, if you eat pasta, which I can, then how would you cook it? With a cheese sauce perhaps?

I'm also losing too much weight, too quickly.

I've had Crohn's Disease for 14 years and been on steroids for just about as long. This is the first time I have had to put them up to 20mg in about 18 months. I really don't want to end up in hospital again. Usually when I end up in hospital and don't have to worry about the food issue!

I just joined the forum today and already found it so helpful with other Crohn's issues.smile

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update on eating.

Strange as it may sound, a few weeks ago I decided to start my own eating plan by clearing out my bowels with banana smoothies in the morning and lunch time then steamed vegetables for my my main meal. After a week the pain and sometimes bleeding had stopped but I still had no energy so I introduced blended veg soup for lunch and either fish (salmon or river cobbler) or chicken breast with my steamed veges at night. After the second week I suddenly felt like I had some energy so I scrubbed all the tiles in the kitchen and was utterly knackered and sore the next day!

Who would believe it - fruit and veg! The steroids weren't doing anything so I had to do something drastic, I think they're losing their potency with me, I must be becoming too used to them. I am determined to get off them this time.

Yes, in case anybody is wondering, I did read the David Klein book (I used to have it a few years ago) on scribd but can't follow it properly because it's too restrictive. I've had a couple of set backs over the last three weeks - nut butters, cheese and milk are off the menu as is too much bread. In fact, I try to do gluten free as much as possible. I'm even trying to make my own gluten free sourdough bread without a lot of success at the moment! Feel so much better now though.

So, everything the doc and consultant say about food, I will ignore. I am determined not to take any further hard core drugs. I don't think my body could handle them now.

• Posted

Good for you.....sometimes you have to take back your power and trust your instinct.

Steroids are a great life saver but rubbish long term. A healthy balanced diet is what everyone needs. Just takes time to research and figure out what's right for you.

if you ever do the liquid diet again insist on MODULEN IBD. It's diary/gluten free, you mix it yourself so at least gives a sense of preparing food, it tastes infinitely better than those cartons and it has a naturally occurring anti-inflammatory component too.

Good luck, sounds like you're on your right path

Hannah

• Posted

Hi, I have been taking 500mg of pentasa 2 times a day. I take 3 in the morning and 3 at night. They have been working pretty well. What I find is best in aiding my remission is to try to eat no dairy, reduce acidic foods (orange, grapfruit, juice, pomergrant, lemon, ect.). I try to eat foods that are easy to digest like baked potatoes/sweat potatoes/yam (without skin), vegtibles, non acidic fruit like bananas. Again i stay away from meats escpecailly red those are hard to digest.

I hope this helpssmile good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.