Need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I did my thyroid test i have hypothyroidm. I am taking thyroxine of 50 mcg. Is my t4 ranging towards high range? Because last time t4 was 9.5. How to control my t4

My thyroid was 7.9 it has now reduced to 3.49 so does it means that my level is controlled? Can i reduced the dosage to 25 mcg because with 50mcg i am having hairfall.around 50 -60 hair falls daily.

level?T3 is 1.09          range is 0.58 to 1.98T4 is 9.85          range is 4 to 11.79TSH is 3.49       range is 4.5 to 5.5

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Siyajain, since your T4 is on the high end, I'm guessing you're on some form of levothyroxin?evothyroxin is T4 only, and your body converts to T3. For me, this always resulted in my T4 on the high end and T3 on the low end.  

The belief is that the T3 levels are the feedback for the TSH. Note that while your T4 is on the high end, T3 is on the lower portion of the range, which is why your TSH is still a bit high, though in range. TSH should be about 1. 

In addition to the blood tests, you have to consider how you feel. Did you have hypothyroid symptoms before taking the meds? Are you feeling better now? Did the hair loss start before or after the meds? You have to take into consideration your symptoms before and after meds.  Keep in mind it takes three months for the meds to completely level out. You likely need a bit higher dose.

Then... if your hair loss is worse after taking the meds, or if you have other worsening symptoms, you'll want to read the side effects as listed by the manufacturer of the medication. You'll also want to look through the posts here because a lot of people have had difficulties with thyroid meds, myself included.  So you'll want to keep a close eye out, maybe keep a diary on how you're feeling each day and your dose.

Lastly, no, you cannot stop the meds once your levels are in range. If you have thyroid disease, you need to do something about it. Medication is the traditional treatment. However, there are other holistic and lifestyle changes that can improve thyroid health drastically.

Do some tea search and get s good understanding of thyroid disease, what sorts of treatments are available, what other people find most helpful. You'll save yourself a lot of trial and error, and most importantly, you'll save your health by making informed decisions.

• Posted

Actually i don have any hard symptoms of hypothyrodsm. I have PCOS from childhood so my periods delays now with yoga i get period in 35 to 40 days. I don feel tired or weak. Only symptoms is hairloss. Now that my tsh is 3.49 from 5.54 with 50 mcg do u feel that my dose should increase? My next visit with endocrinologist is in 2 months from now i wil see what he will priscribe. 

• Posted

Also i noticed that after i take thyroup medicine (levothyroxine that is priscribed) i get hairfall. If i dont take the medicine the hairfall is less.
    • Posted

Hi Siyajain, your lack of symptoms could indicate early thyroid disease. That's good news, as its more likely your system will respond well to dietary changes. Typical thyroid support diet is a gluten-free, paleo, organic diet. No gluten whayspever, absolutely no cheating. Protein intake is REALLY important, so if you're vegetarian, you may want to reconsider, as protein plays a huge roll on the production of thyroxin. You'll also need some good quality multivitamins and multimineral containing coblimated Bs.

A note on the PCOS. I've seen many posts here as well as have known people with both PCOS and hypothyroidism. It seems there's some sort of connection.

As for the medication, I know you're just starting out and there's all this pressure to stay the course. But the levothyroxin does have side effects including the worsening of autoimmune disease and hypothyroidism. There are many posts on this site on the ill affects of levothyroxin. I suggest you read them. The hair loss could be a sign that the meds are doing more harm than good, so you'll want to keep careful track of your symptoms. 

Those people who are not able to take levothyroxin generally go through a series of meds. They may find one that works along the way. If not, they may end up at the end of the medication line with either an OTC  Bovine glandular or using amino acid therapy.

The problem you'll encounter with figuring out the meds is it takes months to stabilize each dose change. Meanwhile, if the medication isn't working properly for you, you're having potentially long lasting side effects, while the hypothyroidism isn't really treated effectively. 

They've been people who post with initial side effects on this medication, and many others who post and the side effects never improve and cause horrible damage to health.

You'll have to evaluate your own side effects and make the choice whether to continue or try something different. Understand that docs want you to try and work with the meds for an extended period of time before giving up.  However, read up on the side effects and decide for yourself about the risks. 

The alternative OTCs are not covered by health insurance.   YOU MUST DO SOMETHING TO DEAL WITH THYROID DISEASE. You can't just decide you don't like the meds and do nothing. 

You may also find acupuncture, herbs and a book on hormones to be helpful in your journey.

• Posted

Your hair loss is actually normal when starting out on Levothyroxine.  Our bodies can take some time to get used to the medication and the hormone level changes.  Stick with the levo..  it has done wonders for many people, including myself.  Also.. you actually need a dose increase, as those of us on T4 replacement medication, such as Levothyroxine, need our TSH to be close to 1.00.  So you have a little more ways to go yet. 
    • Posted

Yes..  but it can take some time, as our bodies have to get used to the changing hormone levels.
    • Posted

How did you decide to go off levothyoxine.? Is it when the TSH level was 1? Or did you taper your dose. I am on levo for last 10 months. What was your exp on goin off levo
    • Posted

Also another question. Can being on levothyroxine or hypo causes diabetics?
    • Posted

I would suggest to not go off levo..  You could die actually and you will make things worse for yourself at this point...  MtViewCatherine is doing amino acids and is actually struggling.  She does not get her levels checked either.  So, not a good self treatment, if you ask me.  I promise you... your hair will stop falling out. 
    • Posted

No.. the only side effects of levo are from your body getting used to the new, normal hormone levels, which will go away, and from being over medicated, which would cause hyper symptoms.  Otherwise, the T4 is identical to our own natural T4 hormone. 
    • Posted

I decided to go off Levo after trying several different brands and dosing for over two years with little results, acceleration of my thyroid disease and overall health deterioration to the point that I was completely bedridden.  There was no denying that the mass on my thyroid grew drastically while on this medication, I developed liver lesions and sever bone loss. 

How did I go off? I first switched can to a bovine glandular. I was on this a year when I started having a reaction and was so fed up that out of desperation, I did some research and took a chance on some essential amino acid therapy. I quit the glandular cold turkey and switched to high doses of essential amino acids. The longer I was off the meds, the better I felt.  I'm still hypo, but the amino acids alleviate a ton of the symptoms. Instead of spending all my time on doctor appointments and obsessing on blood work numbers (exhausting, frustrating and time consuming), I can focus on getting better. 

• Posted

I agree with Dave on that, as hypothyroidism actually causes hypoglycemia, so with treatment, I would imagine the glucose levels would come back up to normal.  Oh.. and on regards to the Levo causing diabete's, the research shows that treatment with Levo, will actually decrease the patients A1C level, which is used to help diagnose diabete's, so yes, there is no research that shows levo will cause diabete's..

• Posted

Thank you all for the lovely guidence and support. 

Regarding the overmedication that you mentioned actually if you see my t4 its on higher range. Am i on the range of getting hyperthyroidsm. I am taking 50mcg for last 5 months and doctor had told me he wil increase dose on weekends to 75mcg because i am slim 51kg as i am thinly build and levo makes you loose weight

• Posted

Your levels for your T3 and T4 are great actually.  Your T4 should be in the higher range.  Your doctor is right in increasing your dose, as your TSH should be kept at around 1.00.  It looks as though you may need only one more dose increase... maybe 2, then after you get to your optimal dose, it should take a few months before your hair stops falling out.  In the meantime, a good multi-vitamin and perhaps a biotin supplement will help with hair loss.  When I first started the levothyroxine, I had a problem with hair loss also.  I used to always dye my hair without any problems, but after starting the Levo, I dyed my hair as usual, and clumps of hair started falling out!  I cried and was scared.  Well, I had to stop dying my hair for a while.  Now.. that I am at my optimal dose and my TSH is around 1.00, I can dye my hair again and all hair loss has stopped.  I believe it takes the hair follicle about 12 weeks to recover, so it will be a few months before it stops.. and that's after your done with dose increases.  

• Posted

I am having a hairfall dunno how to stop it. If i increase the dose from 50 mcg to 75 mcg on weekends as doctor suggested to take 75mcg on sat and sun. I am scared to increase the dose because i am slim 50kg and because of 50 mcg i pulled down by 2 kg. So if i increase the dose i might look very thin. Please help.
    • Posted

Siyajain, is hair loss your only symptom? Are you having brain fog? Brittle nails? Dry skin?

Ideally, you want your TSH around 1. Anything above 2 and you could have symptoms. 

Look at your T3. It’s near the lie end of the range. T3 balances energy by giving you quick bursts as you need them. The idea with Levo is that your body will convert T4 to T3 enough to balance things out. Unfortunately, it doesn’t really work that way. 

You’re correct that if you increase your dose enough to get your T3 more towards the mid range, that your T4 could be slightly out on the top of the range. Overdosing slightly in order to get T3 in a more functional range seems to be a fairly common practice. 

Keep in mind, T3 is the trigger for TSH. So if your TSH is high, it tells you that your brain thinks your T3 is too low.  So basically with the Levo, you’ll be hypo with T4 in order to get the T3 right, or hypo with T3 when the T4 is optimal. There’s also an optimal ratio of T4/T3, which is upset by the medication, causing further problems when this ratio is out of whack.

You might do better on an NDT since the NDT has T3 in it.  However with NDTs the T3 is quite a it higher than humans, so you get the opppsite problem as with Levo. However, initially, you’ll get some relief, as it balances things out. 

Also, meds work best at lowest doses. The higher the dose, the worse the side effects and imbalance in T4/T3 ratios.

If you find you can’t get a good balance with either the Levo or the NDT, you can try ThyroGold.

• Posted

No i dont have anyother symptom other than hairfall. Hairfall is too much sometimes above 180. I feel lost. I have PCOS but i do yoga so i get periods in 40 days. I feel lost dunno what to do i am scared i may go bald. I dont understand if my TSH is now 3.49 from 7 then why am i having a hairfall it should stop right.
    • Posted

Hi Siyajain, glad to hear you don’t have other symptoms.

If your hair loss is so bad you fear you will go bald, you certainly have a problem. Try switching to NDT and see if you get better results.

I was hustling glancing at the range you showed for your TSH and realize it’s completely different than what I usually see.  The usual range got TSH is something like 0.5-5. This just doesn’t look right. I think maybe this is part of your problem. Can you check your previous blood work ranges to see what range was listed?  This makes your TSH look low, when it’s actually a bit high. Unless you’re using some weird units or something. 

Also, I’ve seen enough posts with thyroid disease and PCOS to suspect that these diseases are related.  You may want to look into the connection. I read something a while back that indicates both ovarian cells and thyroid cells metabolize the highest amounts of iodine. So it could be iodine deficiency related. Be cautious with iodine supplements though because it can be toxic. Bladderwrack is a good kelp supplement. 

You may also want to get yourself a book on hormones. I can PM you a book that I’ve usd. It may help you get an understanding of what’s going on in your system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.