Need help

Posted , 5 users are following.

I did my thyroid test i have hypothyroidm. I am taking thyroxine of 50 mcg. Is my t4 ranging towards high range? Because last time t4 was 9.5. How to control my t4

My thyroid was 7.9 it has now reduced to 3.49 so does it means that my level is controlled? Can i reduced the dosage to 25 mcg because with 50mcg i am having hairfall.around 50 -60 hair falls daily.

level?T3 is 1.09          range is 0.58 to 1.98T4 is 9.85          range is 4 to 11.79TSH is 3.49       range is 4.5 to 5.5

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Regarding diabetes: Levo can cause an increase in blood sugar in some patients but it does’t cause diabetes.
  • Posted

Hi Siyajain, T4 on the high end or slightly above normal range is commo when  treating thyroid disease with Levo. This is because Levo contains only T4, while you need a balance of nothing T3 and T4. The idea is that your body will convert to a convert some of the t4 o This T3 as needed, but you wind up with like up with low  T3 which causes hypo symptoms, high t4 which causes hyper symptoms and a huge imbalance imbalance in the  ratios of pf t4/T3 which causes  a bunch of other symptoms.  Add that levo is a synthetic drug, not  identical to a natural t4.  Seriously, look at the manufacturer’s side effects of this drug. 

Synthroid is the brand name. You can look up the side effects online.

• Posted

Sorry  for all the weird autocorrects there’s some sort of weirdness im having with site where there’s a really long delay on the text  entry. Like 30 seconds.

Bottom line is with the this medication, you can’t have both hypo and hyper symptoms at the same time. Do check the synthroid or other markets manufacturer’s sites for symptoms

In the US, we are given an insert with all medications that shows all the inflammation information about side affects and contraindications of the drugs along with other information. It’s really important to read these these!

• Posted

Have you read all her post?  She has NO symptoms, except for some extra hair loss, so I feel like your encouraging her to have more symptoms..  She feels fine, and should feel fine..
    • Posted

Even with her only symptom of hair loss, she looses 50 to 60 strands a day, and for the average woman, 50 to 100 strands a day is normal... 
    • Posted

Melissa, it’s really important to read the inserts on medications, so people know what to watch for. 

People don’t always realize that a series of non specific symptoms could be related until they see them all listed together on the sheet. Then they start thinking about it a little more and realize... but you don’t know unless you look.

There’s nothing wrong with reading the information about the drugs you’re taking and being informed so you know what you’re dealing with.

• Posted

Your right.. I always read my inserts too..  But I would like to mention that most of the side effect are from becoming over medicated and acquiring hyperthyroidism....  The rest are for allergic reactions and overdoses.. 
    • Posted

Oh.. and of course there are the symptoms that are caused by our bodies, as our hormone levels are becoming adjusted and normal again, but these will go away as our bodies get used to being normal..
    • Posted

SIDE EFFECTS

Adverse reactions associated with levothyroxine therapy are primarily those of hyperthyroidism due to therapeutic overdosage. They include the following:

General: fatigue, increased appetite, weight loss, heat intolerance, fever, excessive sweating;

Central nervous system: headache, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, irritability, emotional lability, insomnia;

Musculoskeletal: tremors, muscle weakness;

Cardiac: palpitations, tachycardia, arrhythmias, increased pulse and blood pressure, heart failure, angina, myocardial infarction, cardiac arrest;

Pulmonary: dyspnea;

GI: diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps;

Dermatologic: hair loss, flushing;

Reproductive: menstrual irregularities, impaired fertility.

Pseudotumor cerebri and slipped capital femoral epiphysis have been reported in children receiving levothyroxine therapy. Overtreatment may result in craniosynostosis in infants and premature closure of the epiphyses in children with resultant compromised adult height.

Seizures have been reported rarely with the institution of levothyroxine therapy.

Inadequate levothyroxine dosage will produce or fail to ameliorate the signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Hypersensitivity reactions to inactive ingredients have occurred in patients treated with thyroid hormone products. These include urticaria, pruritus, skin rash, flushing, angioedema, various GI symptoms (abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea), fever, arthralgia, serum sickness and wheezing. Hypersensitivity to levothyroxine itself is not known to occur.

In addition to the above events, the following have been reported, predominately when Levoxyl tablets were not taken with water: choking, gagging, tablet stuck in throat and dysphagia.

• Posted

Is that from your medication insert? It looks different than what I recall from mine. I wonder  if it’s different in different countries.
    • Posted

Melissa, it occurs to me that it’s possible that although we've both been prescribed  , it is likely there’s a huge difference in the manufacturing and formulations of these products. If I didn’t know better, I’d assume we were talking about two different medications. 

I’d have to check for sure, but I was on leviothin and Synthroid, along with “generic” ,  “compounded” and who knows what else. 

The Synthroid was the worst and I was completely lately incapacitated even at a dose of 25. In  less than three months, I was diagnosed with liver lesions and had severe gallbladder and liver pain as well as massive adema and anxiety. My headaches were so bad, I feared I’d have a stroke

Honestly, from what you’ve said, it sounds like we’re talking about two completely different medications. I find it hard to believe that something could have this sort of immediate dramatic negative effect on me, and have minimal side effects for others. Yet, that’s what is apparently happening. Thoughts?

• Posted

You might be right!  I am on a generic Synthroid, called Levothyroxine.  But I think there are several different kinds.  I'm in the US, I'm not sure where your from, I believe they mostly prescribe Levothyoxine in the US, but not, in another country..

• Posted

Hi, I’m in California, hence the “progressive” approach. Much more mainstream here if you do any research at all.

All the genetic T4s are referred to as levothyroxin, as is the natural form of T4. So there’s no telling what we’re getting, really. When I saw that even the NDT is labeled as levothyroxin, I was shocked that the synthetic T4 is allowed to be called by the same name as the natural. The T3 also has no differentiation between natural and synthetic. What this means for us is there’s no way for us to ever know what we’re taking. Nice little marketing trick, isn’t it.

With every other hormone, companies are required to label and name their synthetic products, whether name brand or generic, by a name that is different from the natural. Notice estrogen is estroven, progesterone is progest... all sorts of twisted names, playing on the original hormone, that differentiates the formulations for each variety.  If you look into all the other synthetic hormones, they hit the market as hot, hot, hot... sell a ton of it the first few years until they lose market share to he next hot synthetic variety claiming to be safer. Meanwhile, every single one of them turns out to be linked to cancer: proven to cause cancer.

• Posted

Sorry Catherine..  This is where I have to disagree.  Sure, there are different companies that make the generic Synthroid, Levothyroxine, just like there are other companies that make Asprin,  but all have the same active ingredient.  Now.. the companies may use a different filler or two in different amounts, but that active ingredient is measured out and the same, in all pills, depending on what dose you are prescribed.  It would only make a difference if you have a sensitivity to one or more of the fillers. In which case, you could find out which filler and find one that doesn't contain that filler.   Also..  There is no natural thyroid replacement named levothyroxine...

• Posted

Pharmaceutical  companies keep the details of their manufacturing process secret. When generics are developed by other companies, they basically have to re-engineer the manufacturing process. This is why there are rules about generic drugs- they have to be within a certain % efficacy of the original. These rules exist because the FDA knows the manufacturing processes are different even though the products have the same generic name. 

There isn’t anything to disagree about. This is how drugs are made. There are variations in chemistry and the chemicals processes used to make these drugs, not just a variation in additives.

I know this because I used to work at a company that manufactured drugs.  Companies are extremely protective of trade secrets and don’t share manufacturing methods. To the point that employees are required to sign non disclosure agreements.

As for NDT being labeled levothyroxin, I assure you that’s how my NDT was labeled. I suppose the pharmacy could have made a mistake, but I questioned the pharmacist when my NDT was labeled as levothyroxin (and something else) and was told there is no differentiation between chemical names of NDT T4 and synthetic T4. Also no differentiation in name between the NDT T3 and synthetic T3. Only a difference in names between T4 and T3.

I found this extremely disturbing as well as deceptive. There’s no way to know what you’re getting.

• Posted

Yep.. still disagree...  ALL synthetic thyroid medication has the same amount of active ingredient..  I guess were just going to have to agree, to disagree..lol.  That's okay though...

• Posted

Thats what i have a feeling. Now that my T4 is increasing (if u see my reading above) and TSH (now its 3.49) is decreasing. I wonder when it wil become 1.0 i might be having hyperthyroidism. How to come out of this viscious cycle.
    • Posted

NDT contains T1, T2, T3, T4 and calcitonin. To mimic the body’s natural production of it. Depending on natural bovine (usually pig or cow) and also the producer of it. 

T4 / Levothyroxine contains that and certain fillers to make it a solid stable form. 

T3 / Liothyronine is the afternoon product of T4. T4 has to convert into T3 and is the active ingredient. 

There’s a huge difference between T3 & T4 as they are completely different even the ratio is 4:1 in strength. 

Hope that’s clear and you correct the pharmacist who labelled it incorrectly if that’s what’s happened 

• Posted

I think you missed my point. This was NDT  containing T3 and T4. The names of these thyroxins are the same for synthetic. Or rather, the synthetic names usecare the same as for the natural. Right or wrong, there is no labeling differentiation between the names of natural and synthetic thyroxins other that adding NDT on the label. 

I don’t know what sort of NDT you have where you are, but supposedly it’s purified to remove all the thyroxin except T3 and T4. Though, honestly, since I worked purifying proteins, and I don’t see how they could possibly purify it the different thyroxins in the sorts of volumes produced by drug companies.

Only porcine is available as a prescription. No bovine NDTs are available as prescriptions that I know of. The NDTs are labeled as T4 and T3- levothyroxin and triiodothyronine. No bovine. No significant amounts of T1 nor T2 are present in the prescription NDTs (so they say).

Well, I tried to ask the pharmacy. But it was a huge national chain, so they assured me it was labeled correctly and that there is no differentiation between the synthetic names, and didn’t I see that it says NDT as well on the label?

• Posted

Also. The day i started levothyroxine in feb 2017 i noticed that my period is reduced to 2 days. Before it was normal though i have PCOS but now with regular exercise i get period in 35 to 38 days. But it lasts for 2 days. Please can you suggest if this is serious
    • Posted

Also. The day i started levothyroxine in feb 2017 i noticed that my period is reduced to 2 days. Before it was normal though i have PCOS but now with regular exercise i get period in 35 to 38 days. But it lasts for 2 days. Please can you suggest if this is serious
    • Posted

The levo xaused shorter and lighter periods or me.  I didn’t  like this because I felt the Levo wasn’t just shutting down the TSH production by the pituitary, but likely also other pituitary products that affect the female cycle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.