Need help but too scared to talk to GP?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have fianlly admited to myself that i need to go sort this out. alcohol has been destroying my life for many years i have lost a lot of friends, family members and even jobs because of it. It's been the one thing i can rely on to make me happy but yet its turning me into a horrible person and making things a lot worse. I dont know what to say to my doctor and i feel like theres not going to be any way to resolve this issue. I am not good with talking in groups nor talking about my feelings in person I feel like nothings going to work for me dont know what to do

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

82Hi Laura,

I know what it feels like to be alone in the world of alcohol.  I've been to my GP a lot over the years, I personally find that the  GP's in my part of the world  have little knowledge surrounding alcohol issues.  AA is suggested a lot, counselling (i went privatley) which did help because I discovered the root to my addiction, even Nalmefene which I have tried (private prescription - expensive) but the side affects for me were horrific.  I take one day at a time, and willpower which is not easy as its a physical condition.  I know I've rambled on about being kind to yourself before, but its true.  The shame of our addiction can have a detrimental overwhelming sense of lonliness, which develops into a cycle because we believe booze will make us feel better, but of course it only tempory.  You are not alone, Be nice to yourself.  Most of us old soaks are really nice, kind, intelligent empathetic people.  Take care my friend.

• Posted

If your addiction to alcohol is severe, you may need to seek treatment at an inpatient facility. These facilities will provide you with 24-hour care as you withdraw from alcohol and recover from your addiction. Once you are well enough to leave, you will need to continue to receive treatment on an outpatient basis.
  • Posted

Hi there. I'm sorry to read about your alcohol addiction. You have to pluck up the courage to talk to your dr. Mine has always been a great help. They deal with our illness everyday so you should never feel ashamed. If you don't click with your doctor then try another one until you feel you have someone on your side who understands you.

depending on where you live it is more and more difficult to get a detox. I've never been lucky enough to get one through dr, addaction or hospital even tho I was dying from this disease. I hope you have more luck than me. Otherwise it's all about tapering down. 

I was sober for 5 months earlier this year and my life was fantastic. So please try and get on your phone to Drs..

best of luck xx

• Posted

It's criminal how doctors' hands are tied and have to refer you to Addaction who are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I don't have experience of hospitals, except for when I had a stroke and they had to detox me me because I was out for the count and they could hardly refer me to Addaction.

But from what I have read on here, it seems that you will be turned away from A&E and pointed in the direction of Addaction. But to others reading this, unless you like endless one to one sessions, followed by a nurse health check (what can she check that the doctor probably doesn't already know) then an LFT, but they usually can't do it on the same day because they're busy - I don't know what the difference is, it takes the same amount of time and all they will do is take a blood sample/s and send them off.

Then followed by some group therapy (not everyone wants to share their problems or listen to others, we are all individuals) sing kumbaya, kumbaya my lord. Then 2-3 months down the line, if they deem you suitable, when you've spent that time killing your liver that bit more, they will maybe offer you a home detox and I quote 'we don't like to do hospital detoxes because they cost money'.

Cold turkey is deeply unpleasant and potentially dangerous. If you go cold turkey and are working, book three days of work to lie in bed all day, because that is all you'll be good for. Tapering off is best, but you have to be strong, put a plan together, say, over 10 days, but stick to it and only have in the house that day's allowed alcohol, so you're not tempted to open another bottle of wine/beer and have a few glasses and tell yourself that you'll start tomorrow.

• Posted

Oh journaling is another good tool. I am suffering from depression and anxiety. I know this discussion is about alcohol, but you would be amazed how similar the symptoms can be. There are apps on Google Play that can help you tracking your moods. They also give you free tests, articles, and techniques.
  • Posted

Good to see that we are not alone.

I'm on Day 1 again...after a week long binge....day and night.

Its so disheartening to have a period of sobriety (I had 8 years)....then recently I had 2 months...and to fool myself into thinking I can drink again.

I do and always have used my counselor for therapy. I have been to some meetings...but like others said....I don't really like sitting in a room full of people...I feel that "social anxiety".

There is no wrong way to stay stopped...as long as we do stay stopped.

They do have this saying in AA...Do what works for YOU.

For me....it was leaving work and getting a coffee insted of a 12 pack...and then it was taking care of myself (my hair...my looks...buying new outfits (with the money I would have spent on beer).

And like I said...talking to my counselor about my problems...or my cravings to drink.

I blew off an apt. this week with a counselor becuse I was loaded.  I need to tell her why when I see her....it helps ME with my continued sobriety.

Glad you posted....I don't feel so alone...this is  lonely disease....I have also pushed my family away...like many others...and lost a really good job.  It steals....

• Posted

Hi. I've lost it too. Went 5 months, so happy, then life took over and split up with the love of my life. I've spent 2 months either drinking or trying to sober up. Drinking today. So sad, so lonely and depressed. My story would be a best seller I've been told. The evil drink takes me and possess'so me again xx
    • Posted

Oh love, my heart aches for you.

I am so, so sorry that life is treating you so shabbily.  Perhaps sometimes you have to turn to drink to survive?  I have been there.

But I know how strong you are, I know you will battle the demon again, and again, and again.  Sometimes you can be forgiven for slipping, don't be too hard on yourself.  If nothing else can keep you going, keep you alive....then I see nothing wrong in using drink as a prop for a while.

I am probably totally wrong, but that is how I see it and I wish you peace and contentment.

Pat xxxxx

• Posted

Thanks for your kind words Pat. Feel rubbish today. Not sure if it's going to be a drinking day or a detox day yet xx
    • Posted

Whatever day you've had PaperFairy I hope you've been ok smile Tomorrow is another day remember , Thinking of you smile xx
    • Posted

I hope it was a detox day...the sooner you detox the better.

I'm struggling with the withdrawal...but I know I will struggle more with EVERYTHING if I kept drinking.

• Posted

Hi Ya Laurajadee

Many people on this forum including myself look for sepcific issues which we can relate too? We then try and help by sharing how we managed to, or keep trying to resolve those issues. Or at least offer some sort sharing to reasure each other that we are not alone.

Although i cant relate too your anxiety with regard to talking to your doctor i can offer a possible idea? Why dont you right a letter telling your doctor your problems with alcohol as well as your issues regarding talking about them. Make an appointment with your GP, give him/her the letter and ask if they would correspond with you in writing initially; until he/she as well as yourself can agree away forward.

Just a thought! it could work? Well done for sharing with us, "very brave".

All the best

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.