Need help stepping down steroid

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can offer advice. I am in the uk, 38 years old and presented with severe itching and white patches 'down there' a year ago. My GP visually diagnosed LS, and sent me home with Betnovate ointment and Cetraben emollient. I used it as prescribed - twice a day for 3 months, then once a day for 2 months. For the last 6 months, I have had problems stepping down the Betnovate to every other day. Every time I try, the severe itching is back within 24 hours, plus the stress is causing me to have 2-3 periods a month which just adds to the drama. I've been referred to Dermatologist who said she can't see why LS was diagnosed as I dont have any change in architecture and she can't feel any thick skin, and there is nothing to biopsy. Then got referred to Vulva clinic and doc there said the same and is not convinced its LS, but did say I have to try again to step down from the steroid. She gave me Lidocaine and said to use it once a day in the evening, with Betnovate in the morning for a week, then try Lidocaine once a day with Betnovate every other day. I am still in the first week of 'dual running' and 4 days in I'm back to severe itching but with red rash and pimples front and back which is new. I have emailed the new doc to find out if this is normal or if I should stop the Lidocaine and waiting to hear back as this definitely does not feel normal. Over the last year the things I've tried to stop the itch is epaderm ointment, coconut oil and emu oil but these had no effect; only the daily use of Betnovate stopped the itch. I already have a restricted diet in place, no sugar, regular exercise, for many years prior to getting this and have never had any health issues before this other than the odd cold/ flu in winter. I am currently waiting for my aloe vera gel to arrive, but I was wondering if this is what everyone (appreciate different people all have different experience with this nightmare) with severe itch experiences when trying to step down the steroid? Does the itching ever stop? After a year of suffering, I only just got my head around this thing and felt like I was in a good place, and now I am back to square one, its very heartbreaking and hard to start from scratch again to get a diagnosis. I know a lot of ladies have felt the same over the years and this forum has been a lifesaver for me. Thank you for reading/ listening to me whinge.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I think you have to insist on a biopsy because you need a firm diagnosis bearing in mind all the other issues that you have going on.  

However, It does sound like LS and I believe the constant itching is due to your diet.  When you stop using the cream the itching returns which is like putting a sticking plaster on the problem but not getting to the source of it.  Being able to pinpoint what it might be is not easy and I think you need to do some research on how to monitor what you are eating or possibly a dietician might be able to help you, because it is far more complex that you would think.  

The other day someone on this site said "I only eat four food items a day" which told me she hasn't a clue.  For example, you may have oats for breakfast with blueberries, a pinch of salt and a drop of milk followed by coffee with sugar, .that right there is SIX individual food items..and that's just for Breakfast.  I had to use a food diary for a year,  so I got to understand how to do it and it ain't easy.  

Some people will tell you it is not diet related and maybe for them it really isnt, but if they still have sores/itching then they are deluding themselves.  I know this because of all the feedback over the years from other women and of course from my own experience.

• Posted

Since you’re referring to me, I’ll explain. 

I eat beans, greens and a protein 3x a day. I’m not including salt, pepper, olive oil or vinegar in the 3-4 foods I initially told you as I’ve already tested each one separately. You see I have done my homework and do have a clue. Thank you. As for the other foods I’ve tested them all too. It’s super easy to test what you eat when you are on a restricted eating plan. My diet is limited not bc I have LS but for health. This is not to say I do not eat foods like carrots and blueberries ever, I do. But I have limited my diet to 3-4 items for weeks on end as a way to test for triggers. There are none for me. Food for me has nothing g to do with my itching. 

• Posted

Hi j14251, if you are happy with where you are at with your LS then that's all that matters.

• Posted

Please stop commenting to me. You have absolutely nothing helpful to impart. You believe that you are right in everything LS and diet is the only culprit for itching. Well everyone is different that has been proven in all the varying symptoms people have.  I have proven diet is a non issue for me and you are angry about it. We’ll take it to your therapist. 
    • Posted

Errmmm excuse me..I was replying to your post to ME..your the one that has had your posts removed by the moderator, not me....this is the last time I will be responding to you.
    • Posted

j14251 this group is about supporting one another not insulting them. Guppy007 has nothing but helpful things to say and is very supportive.

Pls refrain from being hostile. 

• Posted

Hi. I wasn’t being hostile. I was defending myself. I spoke up to support the woman who was using her tens unit for relief. Guppy made a comment that she had no one to blame but herself for her diet. I took offense to that comment as a person who has tested everything she eats. Let’s move on now. Thanks.  
    • Posted

Please don’t argue with each other !! I’m just going to say that I don’t itch at all . I eat sugar as I find it hard to give up so trying to cut down . So you’re right sugar doesn’t affect some people . I wish the doctors would find a cure , I have read an article on leaky gut somewhere , which leaks toxins from the stomach into the blood stream and could be responsible for LS . Oh ... and I only eat unrefined sugar , even in my baking . Does that tell us something?? 

• Posted

Hi forumuser, 

Thank you for sharing your tough situation. We are dealing with a terrible condition and it breaks my heart to know what you and many others (me too) are going through. when it comes to topical steroid use it almost seems we are damned if we do, damned if we don’t. They are, according to my very reputable gynecologist who specializes in LS, the only thing that slow down the disease and keep from fusing and going white. Many people here disagree that that has been their experience. For me LS has been constant since early 2000. My condition is fairly advanced with almost totally white and atrophy and total fusing on top and the sides. I was prescribed clobetasol from the start and it presented problems for me from the start. I have always used as directed but don’t really like how it feels taking it and knowing it’s highly potent and gets into your whole system. I don’t know if my condition advanced because I didn’t use it regularly (topical steroid) or because it made things worse. All I know is throughout my use I’ve had other health issues too. I believe the steroid weakened my immune system in general. Unfortunately for me so far, the borax/bicarb/baking soda hasn’t helped reduce the white or unfuse - and the essential oils emu oil and aloe, though very soothing, have not changed the color down there back to normal or unfused any of the areas - yes it’s only been two months but when I last peeked it almost looked whiter and drier. I’m not giving up and still using them but have decided I need to go back to my steroid cream two days ago only because I’m desperate now and have so little anatomy down there I’m just scared and figure maybe my topical steroid has been helping? Arg.

I do know this: Overuse of topical steroids (aka corticosteroids) can cause the body to be addicted to it and that side effect is often rash and severe itching. The only way to stop the itching is to get the steroid out of your system cold turkey. When the steroids are used too often they take over the adrenal glands’ role which is to produce cortisol. So when you stop the steroid creams your adrenals don’t know how to function on their own- that’s why you have itching (or could be one of the reasons), this is a vicious circle. Pls feel free to pm me if you want to chat more about it. 

• Posted

Thank you all for your wonderful and supportive replies. Hearing that most everyone is in the same boat as me makes me both really sad that we have to suffer like this, and really happy that I am not alone. I saw the doc twice last week and she advised the Lidocaine was causing an allergic reaction and to stop. She then saw me 48 hours later and said that since the burning had calmed, she wanted me to try again with stepping down the steriod, but every 3rd day, not every other day, and she prescribed Elidel for the non-steroid days. I havent used that yet as I've noticed the irritation from the Lidocaine is ongoing, not as bad as when I was on it, but still bad. I am waiting for that to calm down before trying something new. I aksed her about going cold turkey and she said no as it causes toxic steroid withdrawal and we want to avoid that. She has also booked in a boipsy for next week. As there is no visible skin changes, she said we would have to boipsy the general area and hope it comes back with something. 

Re diet, my GP referred me to a nutritionist 6 months ago, who took bloods and tested for food intolerance and mineral/ vitamin deficiency. That all came back healthy. We reviewed my food diary which I've had for a few years as I am into clean eating and whilst he was happy overall, he said I need to reintroduce some white carbs like potatoes and white rice to balance things out. He also advised splitting up my high-oxylate foods like dont eat spinach and kale at the same time, rather Monday is for spinach, Tuesday is for kale etc. I asked him if I should go gluten free or vegan free and he said there's no medical reason for it. Eggs are the only dairy product in my diet and he didnt see a reason to stop that either.

Now I am just waiting for my skin to calm down again which seems to be taking forever. I don't scratch when I itch though googling for scratching causes itching was a really good read. Thank you all for being here. I will let you know what happens after the biopsy.

• Posted

Hi forum user, sorry you are going thou the same pain and situation as us all. 

I was prescribed Elidel cream by the dermatologist was told to replace the clob with this or if that doesn’t work for you, use with the clob as it hasn’t got steroid in. I’ve been to a few chemists and have not been able to get this mediation In the Uk. 

Please do let as know if it works for you. This itching business has just started with me - had white patches which were growing etc and since I’ve eleminated dairy, gulten & most sugar the white patches have gone. I know everyone is different. Good luck hun x 

• Posted

Hi All,

Just providing an update in case it helps anyone.

I have finally been able to successfully step down the Betnovate steroid cream! Where to begin?? - I never did manage to get my last prescribed medication of Elidel, no matter how many hospital pharmacy's they referred me too. I kept being told 'it has been withdrawn from this pharmacy due to manufacturer issue'. At my last appointment, 9 weeks ago, I told my doc this and she said its pretty common for the manufacturer to stop making meds and not tell the doctors. She was surprised though as she said this was their 'bread and butter' medication. She also said that my last swab came back with very high thrush infection so before she prescribes anything else and before the biopsy, she put me on 6 weeks of Fluconazol once a week dose. It is due to using this that my itching has subsided and I have been able to step down the steroid. For the first 4 weeks, I did 2 days on, 1 day off. The another 4 weeks of 2 days on and 2 days off. I have now begun 1 day on and 2 days off so I am down to around twice a week, and after another 4 weeks I can hopefully get down even further to once a week. This should hopefully be sufficient to allow her to do the biopsy as she said she couldn't when I was on the steroid 24/7 as it would skew the results. Stepping down this slowly has been really frustrating but it has definitely gotten good results. I am itch-free for the first time in 12 months. Hopefully this is of help to someone else.

• Posted

Strange because my gynaecologist prescribed once a night for 4 weeks and then every other night for a month and once or twice a week for  maintenance . You seem to have been prescribed a lot more . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.