Need help to quit a 2 bottle of wine per night 'habit'/problem

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey everyone smile I just came across this website and I'm very happy to have found it!  I will attempt to keep this short.  I am a 43 year old woman, single, live alone, and suffered a brain injury 5 1/2 years ago.  This resulted in a new found severe panic disorder, agoraphobia, and situation adjustment disorder, as well as the regular pressure headaches, vertigo, insomnia, etc.. that are par for the course.  During this time, my doc prescribed me a TONNE of medication. It wasn't until my pharmacist informed of the addictive properties of the benzodiazepines that I was being prescribed, and learning that what I was going through was panic, I decided to get off all the medication cold turkey...I went crazy for a month after that.   Okay, all that to get to the problem.   The only thing that really helped with the headaches, sleep, and panic was wine.  Although I had been a wine drinker prior to, I never consumed more than a bottle on any given night (except for some weekends), and would suffer crazy hangovers if I had a bottle on a work day. I was off of work for two years following the accident, and during that time my wine habit increased from less than a bottle to two bottles a day.  It has now been approximately 3 1/2 years of two bottles per day, and I'd say about 10 years of daily drinking, on average consuming approximately 1/2 to 1 bottle.  I am now back at work (3 years), I love my job, I no longer experience daily ongoing panic, and I am really happy about where I am in my life.  The issue however, is that I am petrified of quitting cold turkey and the severity of the effects. I have been vigilent in cutting down, and I'm averaging about 1 1/2 bottles (although some days more) without any serious effects other than some night sweats on some days. I never crave a drink during the day, and usually start around 5pm.  I have Diazepam, Clonazepam, and Ativan (all 5 years old) in my 'emergency kit' from the days of panic, but even then I wouldn't take them and opted for 5 hours of guided meditation to get me through the day until I could have some wine which would calm me right down. Sorry, I've ran a little long...basically what I am looking for is some help.  I want to quit drinking!  I'm scared, and after spending a month last year looking at detox and rehab facilities, I really can't afford to go. Is it possible to quit at home?  Any help anyone can provide on this forum would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance smile

By the way, yes, I talked about this with my GP last year...I was really proud because I had decreased my consumption to 3/4 -1 bottle daily.  She yelled at me, told me I was an alcoholic, said I shouldn't even bother trying to quit and she couldn't help me unless I went to rehab. I haven't seen her since....and honestly, after such a good run, I think I went home that day and drank more than 2 bottles. So, the GP is out.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Change gp I'm under a program with addiction and they monitor me and told me not to go cold turkey tried that ended up in hospital all night it has to be gradually

• Posted

Dear Daisy,

I am with you on this. I know exactly what you are talking about. Have you tried Naltrexone?

Hang in there.

CK

• Posted

Hey CK,

Nope, I looked into the Sinclair Method last year, and am definitely giving it some serious consideration.  Have you done it?

• Posted

Yes, Daisy . I am in week four. It is really working. Just take the pill that is all you have to do. No willpower involved. 
    • Posted

Whilst I’ve not used TSM, but from what I’ve read and from listening to people who have, it’s not quite that simple. “Just take the pill that’s all you have to do. No willpower involved”. I think there’s a bit more to it than that.

?Excuse the pun, but the term mindfulnesscomes to mind. My understanding is you have to work with it, not just swallow a pill and you’re cured. Only my opinion, but that statement could give someone the wrong impression.

• Posted

Hi I think that there is a lot more involved than just swallowing a pill . I have not been there to this extent but gave up alcohol albeit not an alcoholic drinking due to blood clots and taking warfarin . My niece aged 29 passed thru alcohol liver disease. 

• Posted

Hey Sportysmile

So glad it is working for you, my only concern is that I really enjoy the 'deadening' feeling that the alcohol gives me to be able to sleep.  If I don't get the 'effect' will I drink more?

• Posted

Hey Vicky,

Thank you for that response, as I think that will be one of the more challenging aspects.  How do you do it?

• Posted

Hi, i took the pill on a day I was not going to drink and it gave me very weird side effects, am I supposed to take it only on the days I feel I am going to drink? will I still get these side effects when taken on a day of alcohol consumption? 
    • Posted

What instructions did your dr give you re taking this medication? Are u able to ring a pharmacist up today as it is Sunday

• Posted

Hi Chesca,

i am not there yet. i really can't advise you on that, but I am glad you had a day that you decided not to drink. I am nowhere near that. Hopefully someone else can give you advice. Naltrexone does have side effects, but if it will eventually get me to be a normal drinker than I will take the side effects with a smile. 

Hugs

• Posted

Hi Daisymay

so sorry for not replying sooner, I’ve only just seen your message..

Ive never tried TSM so I can’t answer your question.

I took acamposate (campral) which is an anti craving drug and you don’t drink at all with it. Took it for about ten months and can honestly say after the first week, thoughts of alcohol and drinking disappear. It resets your brain not to crave alcohol.

I now drink socially, or at home with my husband. I no longer drink secretively alone and never touch spirits, apart from the odd brandy coffee.

• Posted

Pretty shocking behaviour for a GP! Not at all professional. For certain. Change GP, if possible. Check out C3 Foundation, ref Joanne will most likely reply to you since she assisted 700 drinkers so far! I stopped cold turkey, no medicines but do not recommend this! Robin
    • Posted

Hey Robin,

I chec'ked out the C3 website, and will continue to do more digging.  I'm really liking the idea of the Sinclair Method with Naltrexone.

Thanks,

Mel smile

• Posted

Sinclair method is very good sinc e I have read all the positive feedback here for 3 years. Did not take it myself but did read about the results. Best of luck to both of you. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.