Need help with new goal: sit to stand no hands from floor

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been doing sit to stand from chairs, using lower chairs as the higher ones get easy. What other exercises can I do to help? I don't have any machines but work out in a pool regularly. I really want to get off the floor without first doing downward facing dog. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are going to do yoga.  Think about this...

The ROM goal for TKR patients is zero-degrees straight and 120-degrees bent.  Most of us eventually get to 125-135.  Athlete range starts at 140.  Touching your heel to your butt is 161.  Given those numbers...

No one has any numbers on the maximum flexion of these devices.  While 125-135 will be perfect for anything you need to do in daily life, exceeding 140 may...MAY...be more than the device can handle resulting in possible failure or decreased longevity.  I'm NOT saying that this will happen...we just don't know.

So if you are thinking yoga and sitting back on your heels one day, you might want to ask your doc for the manufacturer and model number of your implant and call the company directly for their maximum flexion recommendations.  You do not want to mess with this.  I've read over 4,000 posts on here and posed the question a number of times.  No one has responded with any such data...and I can't find anything on the Net.  There are some new "high flexion" devices that have come out in the past few years but only one clinical study on them...definitely nothing about "deep flexion" and the impact on device longevity.

So...  I would suggest that you do your research if you want to sit on your heels in yoga and see if you can find an answer.  Lots of us would like to know.  I'm 2+ years post op and at 0 / +133.  Sitting on my heels will never, ever happen...nor would I want to given the lack of evidence that the implant can handle the flexion.  Think about it...

• Posted

yoga yes, but gentile. what I really want is to get up off the floor like other people, not all contorted and weird like I do now
    • Posted

That will take strength in your quads, glutes and core...all of which have been atrophied after months of non-use.  Ever see someone's bicep after having the arm in a cast for 6-8 weeks?  Toothpick.  Same with all the musculature in your legs, hips and core.  The rebuild exercises get that back...slowly.  This takes a while but it's all worth it.

• Posted

Hi Chico

Hope you are feeling well. I’d like to ask you something. Could my operated knee beginning to hurt me again because the left is bone on bone (9 months P.O. ).Also how many times a day should I exercise?

Respect your advise.

Arlene

• Posted

Great advice Chico.

Your advice & guidance is well appreciated.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Yes, your operated knee can start hurting...even years later...if you don't rebuild AND MAINTAIN all the musculature that supports the knee.  By letting those muscles go to waste, you are putting all the pressure on the joint...it belongs on the muscles.  NOTE:  This does NOT exclude the possibility that there might be something wrong in the knee.  However, if your doc says that the alignment is correct and there are no other structural issues, I'd get to the gym and rebuild all those muscles.

If you are doing ROM work, follow your PT's instructions...usually at least 3X/day.  Increase time and reps as you progress.  For the gym work, 2-3X/week.  Remember that you NEVER work the same muscle group two days in a row.  The exercise breaks down the muscle; the day off rebuilds it stronger.  Takes time...

If your other knee is bone-on-bone and you want to put off a TKR, think Synvisc.  Worked for me for years...

• Posted

Once again thank you for your reply. Truthfully I have been doing pt once a day on my own. No more therapy, that stopped months ago. I usually do the same program every day in the morning. I will try changing to some other stuff I have on the sheet they gave me and bump it up to twice a day, here’s hoping
    • Posted

Look at the link in my first post in this discussion about ROM work at home...#3 is the killer but oh so effective...
  • Posted

You can do lunges,with your bad leg out in front.

I have to use my crutches for this, if your not sure how to do these go on Web site and watch video.

I also do squats using crutches. Bend your body over sofa so you have to bend your knees into sofa.

In swimming pool I use the ladder into pool, stand on good leg and bring your bad leg up and round.

Put your bad leg on bottom stair and hands on 2nd stair up and bend you knee into stair.

Walk up stairs using good and bad leg, like you did before op.

Good luck.

Sue

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean if someone were to take a video of me getting off the floor it would look pretty funny. Hopefully what Chico suggested will work. I have had my share of TKRs and another on the way. If I can avoid sitting on the floor I do it but there are times when I am working on my home theater trying to figure out a problem I have no choice. 
    • Posted

the other day I was on the ground outside and waited until some people walked by before getting up. Oh I was down there gardening not after a fall. Good luck with your continuing problems, hopefully there is a good outcome for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.